Tartan 27 616 (Rosie Ruiz) facelift

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
bobp
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Tartan 27 616 (Rosie Ruiz) facelift

Post by bobp »

Three of us went in the boat about 7 years ago. A few years before that, a group of us were sailing around the apostle islands, and someone told the story of the winner of the women's 1980 Boston marithon - Rosie Ruiz. Apparently she jumped onto the course with just a mile to go and crossed the line first (you can google her name if you're curious about more of the story). Anyways, someone said "that would make a good name for a boat - The Rosie Ruiz - has a nice ring to it. So when we bought the boat, there wasn't much debate about what the name should be. Especially since we planned to race her and the only way we were going to win any races was to cheat!

For the last few seasons, we've talked about making here pretty again, and this year we decided to try.

We're renting a heated garage, which has compressed air, water, and most important, a refrigerator for the beer! The renter doesn't object too much to all the sanding dust and we've been trying to keep it relatively clean with compress air and a shop vac.

The deck paint was one part and was dull, scuffed, stained, worn through to the gelcoat in places, and worse the gelcoat delaminated from the fiberglass in places. The non-skid was worn and smooth. The hull is the original gelcoat and very oxidized. The brightwork has been sanded many times, including twice by ourselves. The last finish we applied was two part varnish. By the second season, cracks developed and the varnish lifted from the wood, causing it to turn grey in those areas. Rather than trying to sand yet again, we decided to replace almost all of it.

The plan is to paint the deck something like off white using Awlgrip, some mix of white and grey Interdeck non-skid, and flag blue Awlgrip on the hull. The brightwork is planned to be African mahogany, varnished with a traditional varnish (at least 10 coats).

So far, we've removed the hardware (except chain plates) and brightwork, sanded the paint off the deck (including the original non-skid texture), sanded the topsides, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, ..., applied high build on the deck, sanded, sanded, sanded, ... Just last night we applied the first coat of 545 primer. It didn't go entirely according to plan, but we moved up the learning curve and are expecting the next coat to go smoother.

Here are a few "before" pictures (actually, "partially into it" pictures). We'll add more as time permits.

I guess that's it for now.
Last edited by bobp on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Tartan 27 616 (Rosie Ruiz) facelift

Post by Rachel »

It does for me (although the.tif image in your paint thread did not, for me).

More!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote:It does for me (although the.tif image in your paint thread did not, for me).

More!
Ditto
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
bobp
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by bobp »

I've updated the original post.