NEW SPREADER’S

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

NEW SPREADER’S

Post by Skipper599 »

... The task: To modify a rig taken from a production boat and apply it to a DIY hull and deck kit raised a few challenges ... I purchased a "used" rig, taken from an Albin Vega 27. It’s a good quality spar, built by Selden Mast Co. of Sweden, complete with all standing rigging (which I’m unable to use) plus turnbuckles, as well as the original 28" airfoil shaped tapered spreaders. Note: These original Spreaders are now surplus to my requirements and are available to purchase by anyone who may be able to use them.

… My boat, a Passage 24 having a somewhat wider beam, dictated I would require new and longer spreaders. But how long should they be? I found all the information to make that determination from reading "The complete Rigger's Apprentice" by Brion Toss.

... It was obvious the most important thing, was to maintain correct angles between the upper shroud and the spreader. Calculations determined the length of the new spreader(s) to be 36".

With this knowledge, I obtained a 6' length of airfoil section from a local supplier. Having first cut it into 2 pieces of equal length, the trailing edge was then cut again on the diagonal to create the taper, starting at 16.5" from the end closest to the mast, reducing it from its original 3.25" width to 1.875" at the outboard end. The cut edges were then clamped, bringing them together and welded.

... I particularly appreciated the spreader ends used on the Vega, which were obviously designed to prevent spreader droop and so, I decided to replicate these in a larger size. These were fabricated from blocks of aircraft quality aluminum (6061 I believe).

… First, I drew up a sequence of operations for performing them. In order to assure accurate drilling angles, and cutting of the slot up the middle, these operations were all done while still in block form As well, I needed to make a pair of slug-nuts from 3/8” s.s. rod for the clamping bolts, used to grip the shroud.

... Only after all various operations were completed did I then go about grinding the ends to the desired shape. This was accomplished using a sanding disc in place of a saw blade in my table saw, along with hand filing and final hand sanding to my own satisfaction. You can see the results below.

... I have yet to decide on the finish ... will it be paint or anodizing? ... I'm leaning toward painting the rig myself, probably with epoxy type Bone, or Off-White paint.
Component parts w/Allen-wrench
Component parts w/Allen-wrench
Tip installed showing retaining screw and clamp bolt for shroud
Tip installed showing retaining screw and clamp bolt for shroud
This is the completed spreader with tip installed.
This is the completed spreader with tip installed.
Attachments
A better pic of the tip after all ops complete. Note hole and slot to facilitate clamping shroud.
A better pic of the tip after all ops complete. Note hole and slot to facilitate clamping shroud.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Poda
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Type: 1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37

Re: NEW SPREADER’S

Post by Poda »

Beautiful job!

I'm going to measure up my old spreaders when I get home - I may very well have a use for your old ones if mine are under 28" (which in my hind-sight guesstimation they are.. I'll have to measure when I get home)

What kind of condition is the standing rigging from the Vega setup, and what are the dimensions? I don't want to hijack your thread, so feel free to PM me with the details, but I may very well be interested for my 24 footer..
1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: NEW SPREADER’S

Post by Rachel »

Wow, those look great!