Finally, a new cockpit table

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Finally, a new cockpit table

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I have replaced the tabletop of an Edson cockpit table. (I reused the Edson hardware.) Pictures of the work in progress were posted last month in a chat about sourcing beaded cherry that devolved to tools and methods.

Here are pics taken at cocktail hour on Saturday. The finish is two coats of Cetol Teak, but my application of it was so pitiful that its home again for sanding and recoating. I bought rough-sawn 1" Teak and planed it down to pretty, ended up about 15/16" thick. I jointed the top using loose-fit mahogany pegs set in epoxy (beats drilling accurately). I installed screws and bungs after the fiddles were glued (bonding Teak is not reliable since the wood is so oily.) The 316 Stainless hinges are Suncor and can be found at Defender; they're made in Red China and are a bit sloppy. I have yet to figure a neat way to hold the leaves folded. A negative of the setup is that the leaves don't clear the drink holder; you have to swing the table partway down to open them.
IMG_2966-r.JPG
IMG_2967-r.JPG
IMG_2968-r.JPG
IMG_2969-r.JPG
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Finally, a new cockpit table

Post by Chris Campbell »

Gorgeous, Doug!

That looks a proper treat. Our NE38 had the mainsheet on a short traveller immediately ahead of the binnacle, making a table there need to be removable, so we never bothered. Having a place to eat and drink in the cockpit and style is a decidely happy addition. Very pretty work you've done for it also - fits right in with all the other pretty wood on Quetzal.

Thanks for sharing!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Finally, a new cockpit table

Post by Hirilondë »

Very nice table!
Quetzalsailor wrote: I installed screws and bungs after the fiddles were glued (bonding Teak is not reliable since the wood is so oily.)
If you clean the mating surfaces with acetone immediately before gluing with epoxy the bond is extremely reliable. Oil leaching out after the cure does not effect the bond. I can't count the number of times I have edge glued teak (with splines as I do for all edge gluing) for tables, doors, weather boards, etc without incident.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.