New engine is in!

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

New engine is in!

Post by Shoalcove »

After years of trying to keep my old VW Pathfinder diesel alive and well I ran out of patience last fall and hauled 'er out! We decided to put in a new Yanmar 3YM30 and started that job last fall. This spring I finished up the install after:
- modifying the engine beds
-painting and soundproofing the engine "room"
- building a platform for the new hot water heater location
-installing the new water heater
-installing new shaft and a new Campbell prop
-new exhaust fitting and hose
-new water muffler, anti-siphon vent and a new raw water strainer
- all new hoses of course
- moved the batteries to a new location that is lower and more centered in the boat and added a new switch and cables.
I splashed last week and so far all is working splendidly! 6.3 knots at cruise speed (2700rpm). No leaks or drips. I don't know how long it will take before I'm not surprised when the engine starts...
I'll attempt some photos once I figure out how to resize them!
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: New engine is in!

Post by Rachel »

Excellent! Can't wait to see it.

Rachel
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Congratulations! That's a big job - hope you got pictures! It'll certainly be a treat to have the motor go when you request, and do enjoy your first few years of trouble-free motor use!

Is your boat at South Shore Marine, David? We're actually moving to Chester, and may keep ours there (the little one for now, the project boat's completion date seems to be stretching out some). Maybe we'll see each other there.

Chris
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks Rachel and Chris. I'm attempting some photos and downloaded a program Chris had suggested (in another thread) to resize them but haven't quite got it mastered yet. Standby...
Yes Chris, we keep our boat at SSM in the winter but hang on a mooring in Deepcove during the season. Chester is a pretty nice spot with lots of summer activity. Lot's of great daysailing around there and good spots to explore! What's your boats name?
Attachments
spring2010 026 deepcove resize.jpg
spring2010 017 engine resize 1.jpg
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Woohoo! That was fun. Maybe I'll have to start taking more photos now! Here's one of the tank and fuel filter. Quality is not great but I took them with my phone so... The fuel filter is two stage with a big Donaldson fuel/water separator (25micron) running to a Racor 500 (10 micron) that I cobbled together after seeing some ideas and discussion here. I think it'll be great -there is very little restriction according to the vacuum guage.
The other photo is to show of the paint job I did last year with Perfection. Roll and tip outside. If you lived in Nova Scotia you would understand the challenge! Dry,70 degrees, in the spring: Ha ha.
Attachments
spring2010 014 On the Hard resized.jpg
spring2010 018 Muffler view resized.jpg
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

She looks lovely, David, congrats!

Our little boat has no name, but will be christened Stella to complement the larger boat, which is Luna. We won't be sailing in Mahone Bay until the end of the summer, though, if then - moving is going to be a great chore.

Cheers,