A small electrical system for Bolero

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

A small electrical system for Bolero

Post by Bluenose »

In my original concept for Bolero's conversion I had planned on having a simple electrical system. At the time the concept grew a bit large, complicated and expensive so during one of the many belt tightening and focusing periods of the project it was canceled.

Our grounding last summer brought up some deficiencies (I know, an understatement) in my skills and Bolero's outfitting. So I decided that I wanted to add a depth sounder and navigation lights and an a small electrical system to support them.

I don't expect that either of these two additions would have prevented our grounding, as many boats with grander systems than this find a way to ground, but my hope is that they will provide additional information that will help engage my brain in a way that promotes safer choices.

My first dilemma was finding a location for the panel. After some thought I chose to incorporate a panel into the box that Tim built to cover up the chainplate knees. By positioning components just so I was able to fit them between the chainplate knees.

After many, many mockups and much taping I install the solar charge controller, the switch panel and a voltage and amperage gauge.

And then I installed the battery on the back of the panel and installed the panel in the boat.

Then I got set up and started running wires.

I don't seem to have any photos of the various steps from here, but here is the finished and installed panel.

I still need to located and run the wire for our handheld VHS.

I was forced to decide were to run exposed wires and which beautiful piece of wood would have holes drilled in them. But after some initial pain my breathing become normal again.

This system allows us to charge the on-board battery with the 5 watt (1/3 amp) solar panel while we are on the mooring. During sailing we fold up and store the solar panel and run the GPS, depth sounder transponder, VHS and, if needed, the navigation lights off the on-board battery. In the event that the on-board battery becomes low, I can run the GPS and VHS from their own batteries and save the on-board battery for the depth tranducer and the navigation lights.

The integration with the Garmin 276C GPS is actually quite good. In addition to displaying the depth from the transducer is also displays the system voltage (which I now include in our log). I added this information to the map page so I can keep abreast of the present state of the on board battery.

Once I had the panel installed and wired I installed a set of Perko chrome over brass navigation lights. I agonized over the types and locations of these lights for some time but eventually I just dove in and installed my best choice.

I am not overjoyed with the looks of these navigation lights on Bolero but they are installed and work. I am currently working on replacing the 300 ma bulbs with acceptable leds. My first attempt missed the mark but I am still looking. I could only run the incandescent bulbs for a short time with my small electrical system.

Here is a summary of our electrical loads, assuming I get my led bulb change to work.

This chart is missing a few things since I don't include the voltage and amperage gauges which draw approximately 30 ma each. In addition the lighted panel switches also draw about 30 ma.

In real life use I expect the charging and discharging to be more complex as initially the on board battery will top off the charge for the GPS and the VHS and only then begin supplying the running amperage for these components. Also the percent daily use will constantly change as well.

All that said, I am cautiously optimistic that this system will supply Bolero with all the modern conveniences normally taken for granted on other boats :).

Cheers,
Bill

As a long footnote, here is a list of the components that I used.

LiFePO4 Battery: 12.8V 6.8Ah (87Wh, 25A rate)

Dimensions: 4.9" x 2.6" x 3.1"
Weight: 2.2 lbs

I setup the back of the panel to accept two of these batteries should the need for expansion arise.

Solar / DC Charge Controller (120W, 10A Rate ) for 12V SLA or LFP Battery

The recommended solar charge controller for the LiFePO4 batteries.

Airmar P79 Smart Depth Transducer

The main reason for this project was adding some sort of depth gauge to Bolero. After a bit of research I found that I could add an Airmar P79 NMEA0183 in hull intelligent sender and feed the output to our Garmin 276C portable chart plotter. Of course this "smart" transducer cost more than a stand alone depth gauge.

Currently it is mounted using toilet bowl wax just forward of the mast and is working well. It sends the NMEA string DPT (Depth Below Transducer) to our Garmin 276C which is then displayed on the map page.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: A small electrical system for Bolero

Post by jlroberts280 »

Cool little system. Thanks.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

FYI,
I have that exact same switch panel in my Catalina 22. I installed it brand new 2 years ago and it hasn't seen a lot of use (unfortunately). The switch contacts have oxidized and while the switches still work, the light in the switch doesn't want to come on in two of the switches so far. Honestly, the lights on those switches are so stinking bright it doesn't bother me if they don't come on, but I wonder how long until I start to have to replace whole switches? My boat sits in a slip on the Columbia River 80 miles from saltwater. I get some condensation in the winter -- that's the only real source of oxidation.

All that to say....keep an eye on your panel.

Regards,
Tony Orchard
S/V Bonnie Blue
Catalina 22 #4823
St. Helens, OR

PS: A portable VHS? Wow! I don't know anyone who uses them anymore! We've gone all DVD or Netflix, ourselves. :-)
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks Tony. At least those switches are a standard size so replacement should be easy.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I didn't want to rain on your brand new parade because I really do like your new system (the volt and ammeter are GORGEOUS!!), but now that Tony has broken the dam... that SeaDog swich panel is total crap.

I never had a problem with the switches, but those infuriating fuse holder caps have a 60/40 chance of breaking every time you change a fuse. I actually picked up a spare panel at a tag sale years ago just because it was a good deal on spare caps.

I finally changed out the panel for something more robust this spring. sigh.
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Figment,

In my experience there is always a bit of drizzle in my boat projects. So a little rain is a welcome change.

I knew right away that this panel was a loser. At the time I was sourcing parts I couldn't seem to find a smallish panel that seemed priced at a value that was fitting for the job at hand. The only good thing about the fuse holders is that I should rarely have to change any fuses (I hope).

Currently the big gremlin in this implementation is the NMEA depth readings to the gps. Everything reads fine at startup and then just stops reading and displays the last reading. I received some input from Garmin that I need to try but it will be really disappointing if I can't get the main feature working.

Cheers and thanks for the input.

Bill
Chesapeakegem
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Chesapeake Gem
Boat Type: Bristol 27, 1967 Hull # 160

Post by Chesapeakegem »

Outstanding looking vessel, Just beautiful...