Next, simply remove the bilge pump...

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Next, simply remove the bilge pump...

Post by cantstopnow »

One of the items on the list prior to launch june 23 is to trouble shoot and repair the bilge pump or wiring that was causing a short in that circuit. the problem on the Morgan M34 is that the bilge is Very hard to access without removing a lot of stuff and then hanging upside down into the abyss.
no access.jpg
So I removed the batteries, 29 gallon fuel tank ( needed a rinse anyways ) and the exhaust waterlock and a lot of my skin. oh, and the bilge pump and switch. The pump was seized and the wiring connections came apart in my hands. The pump and switch were mounted on a board suspended 8" +/- above the bottom of the bilge leaving 5 or 6 gallons slopping around below.
deep .jpg
the bilge.jpg
Is there any reason to not put this pump as close to the bottom of the bilge as I can get it?
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Next, simply remove the bilge pump...

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Ahhh, many of us have been there. Check out Tim's squeaky clean mounting, Chris's ditto, Rachels', and my, ah, less than perfect rig. All have a scheme so that the pump can be lifted out for servicing. What you'd be aiming for is to get that t'ing out of there and remedy what's ailing it without disassembling the boat as it's bouncing around somewhere. We, and countless others, have mounted our pumps on a stick that extends up within reach. Check out prior postings. One is my 'Gone to the Dawgs'. I had started with a simple retrieve string of 1/4" cheepie nylon tied to the pump which worked, but poorly and inelegantly.

No reason in the world that the pump should not be as low as you can get it. Bilge water is seldom pleasantly clean and fresh (unless you're sinking).
sail_fix
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Fresh Air
Boat Type: Olson 34

Post by sail_fix »

For moving a lot of water for the dollar, it's hard to beat a centrifugal pump, like the ubiquitous Rule. These need to be deep down and be fully immersed to work at all, and after they shut off, quite a bit of water will flow back down the hose. They can, however, occasionally air lock if there are enough loops in the discharge line, and any little bit of fluff can stop the impeller. The Rule float switches are also the company's largest single profit center, IMHO.

I would suggest adding a second pump like the Jabsco #37202 bilge pump. Capacity is not so high (or at least as well-hyped) but it is a chamber-type pump and you can mount it in an accessible location and have only the 3/4" intake hose and strainer down to the bottom of the abyss.
This Jabsco pump will remove all the everyday water and can pump the deep bilge down to a level where it might actually get dry down there now n then. It will not allow back flooding/syphoning, either.

Our boat came with two of these chamber pumps plus a large manual pump accessible from the helm position. i.e. it was factory spec'd out to meet basic ORC requirements.
*Opinion: for keeping mold and mildew at bay in a hull, nothin' beats maintaning zero or at least a bare minimum of water inside the hull/sump.

Best of luck on your project.

LB
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher

Post by cantstopnow »

A quick update on the bilge pump chore.

I spent 5 hours pumping, vacuuming, scrubbing, removing everything that the PO dropped in the last 40 years, more pumping and vacuuming.
It was just plain old raunchy down there. Black, oily and putrid. On the brighter side the boat smells a whole lot better now.

Next I used a scrap of stainless steel to make a new and improved removable pump and switch caddy.

The pump and switch is now installed much closer to the bottom of the bilge. Previously the bilge held a measured 6 gallons at all times now I estimate it at about 1/2 gallon.

I still need to complete the wiring but things are moving toward installing instead of removal and that is a good sign.
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher

Post by cantstopnow »

The bilge pump is installed complete with new switch and vacuum break.

The old raw water strainer needed replacing so I have installed a new one.

I replaced the $355.00 mixing elbow on recommendation of the surveyor. When I disassembled it it was obvious that he was correct.

To clean up the electrical systems I added positive and negative busses, installed new batteries, made up new cables, replaced cracked wires and removed miscelanous wires that are no longer in use and cleaned up the wiring the best I could.
I will be installing a new electric panel and related wiring this fall and I realize that I need to do some studying and seek qualified advice before I can do that competently.

I installed a new chart plotter.

There is more and I haven't gotten to the mast yet.... I made new spreaders.....THe boat leaves the yard next tuesday!!! Stuffing box, trans fluid, oil change. provisions...

I spoke with the PC (previous caretaker) and greatly appreciate his willingness to help answer questions and volunteering his presence at the launch.

Ok back to work
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That looks like some good progress! Thanks for the update :)