New galley table

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

New galley table

Post by preserved_killick »

I just finished a new table for the galley. I can't claim to have made the inlay, it came pre-made at Rockler. I routered out some walnut to set it in. The table itself is Walnut, the fiddles are African Mahogany. Initially wanted to simply oil it since it looked so nice with just a wipe of mineral spirits but gave in to the cleaning ease of varnish. I used marine varnish, but I might try to find an oil based interior varnish with more of a mat finish for one last coat.

Alberg's have a neat setup for the table. The table has a cast bracket on the bottom that fits onto the top of a welded tube. The tube is "z" shaped and slides into a socket in the cabin bunk. When setup, the table can sit in the middle of the cabin, or swing around to sit directly above the bunk for more of a chart table that's out of the way.

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Re: New galley table

Post by cantstopnow »

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Very nice indeed! Leaving the corners open will make cleaning a lot easier. That is a detail many forget/omit and they pay the price later. A new salon table is still on my "to do list". Now you make it even harder to resist getting started. Curse you!! :-)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

And please post pics installed too. That sounds like a neat setup.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I bought the Teak for a replacement cockpit table Friday. Gonna' use the hardware off of the existing Edson folding table (new, about $500) and make a clone of their dropleaf cockpit table (new, about $1000). Makes the $180, $25/bf for the wood a little less painful.

I discovered, to my future reduced solvency, that Delaware County Supply has ample and lovely Makore solids. Our saloon table has some ugly overlay on the original breadboarded Makore plywood dropleaf table. Someone probably sanded through the veneer.

But, there's no way I will post pictures of either after seeing the absolutely gorgeous job P-K has done!
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I fabricated a mahogany cockpit table with two folding leaves for Early Light for well under $100. Write-up can be seen at: http://earlylight160.110mb.com/CockpitTable.html

Bottom of table

Top of table

Wooden latch to secure folding leaves
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net