Hatch slides

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Hatch slides

Post by jlroberts280 »

In an effort to rebed leaking hatch rail slides I had to remove the hatch. The hatch has wooden slides on the underside that rest on the metal tracks mounted to the cabin top. Over the years this wood has worn down from rubbing back and forth as the hatch opens. Now there are exposed screws that hold the side pieces onto the wooden slides. These exposed screws grind against the metal tracks. I have removed the wood slides and exposed screws. What should I replace it with? Wood again (teak pricey) or some kind of plastic? This should be in the question section but I'm not sure how to move it, sorry.
Last edited by jlroberts280 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Hatch slides

Post by Hirilondë »

I like UHMW plastic such as the brand King Starboard. But any relatively dense plastic you can access will work better than wood.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Hatch slides

Post by jlroberts280 »

Thanks Dave
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME