Having sunk my boat once, I tend to think about bilge pumps.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Having sunk my boat once, I tend to think about bilge pumps.

Post by Tom Young »

My boat was built with a WC bronze piston pump as was typical in the 50's. It's a nice installation right in the bridge deck. Easy to operate and flush so it doesn't effect this area which is the best seating as well as a full length berth in good weather. But the old piston design with a leather washer isn't too efficient. Pulling straight up and down is real labor too, not a good thing if you need to keep water out in the event you have have a leak with a thru hull or something. Image

I bought a Whale Titan pump to use as my emergency pump. Not wanting to blast a hole in the cockpit somwhere to place their new bulkhead plate with their free advertising, I looked into reusing the old location. First, I cut the flange off the old bilge pump(it was pretty well shot inside) and mounted the Titan to a backer board and started noodling.

After some trial and error, I got a good location and fit below. Then it was a matter of gluing some scrap together and cutting a doughnut that would supply a stop for the bronze plate as well as a recess in the wood at the base to encapsulate the rubber gaiter. Best of all, you can easily seat and comfortably pump while holding the helm. It's easy to reach from the companionway as well. Image

28gpm is not alot but in conjunction with the Rule 2000 pump, it could be enough to clear the bilge long enough to find a leak.
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: Having sunk my boat once, I tend to think about bilge pumps.

Post by The Froon »

Very nice. Could you supply some more pics (interior) of the installation? I will be undertaking a similiar project.

Rgds,

Brian
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Hi Brian, I haven't got any other photos but it's easy to explain. The Titan pump is mounted as directed in the instructions with the 6 supplied machine screws through a 1/2" plywood piece. It's larger than the mounting base of the pump.

The plywood also has the circle cut out in the template, as if this piece is simply the bulkhead you would be mounting the pump to.

That plywood piece is then lagged from below into my 1 1/2+" thick bridgedeck. I wanted to be able to remove the whole pump quickly so the I used 4- 1/4" X 2" SS lag bolts and washers that can be turned out with a rachet.

I think with a clean bilge and a strainer box on the inlet, I shouldn't have to pull it except to replace the rubber parts periodically.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Very nice Tom, I really enjoy your approach to maintaining Christmas. It helps keep me pushing to improve my work and my boat!
Best regards,
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35