I need a new head.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

I need a new head.

Post by Tom Young »

So I've spent a few short sessions under the tarp pulling everything out that's willing to go. While the head on Christmas is in tough shape, I just want to restore it as built, I really like the way it was done.

I pulled the old countertop out to reuse. It was nicely finished on interior edges of the hamper lid so I removed the old plastic laminate (it was lifting a bit on one edge). Several old faucet configurations left the top peppered with holes that needed repair.

I love this old THOR sink that was fitted in Denmark where the boat was built in 1961. When I took it apart, the drain tailpiece parted. It was easily rewelded in town and is now good as new. No, actually it's better than new with the old patina.

The old fixtures came out of a project some time ago and I've been thinking about using them on this little project. New washers and teflon packing, they pressure tested perfectly. This non mixing style isn't the best at home but I think they'll work fine onboard. It's a rare event that you have to mix cold with the hot by the time it reaches the head. They're small diameter spouts so I think they may save water(?)

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: I need a new head.

Post by Rachel »

That is a neat sink - thanks for posting photos of the project.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Chris and I did indeed check out the void in your gorgeous boat. We were a little concerned about where you seemed to be mocking up a new head location...convenient, though.

Check out my head rebuild on Photobucket: http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk90 ... %20Repair/ You'll either be exhausted or encouraged. Bottom line is that it went back together so that only Dolf LeComte would know it'd been messed with, and the future access is far better/easier without the necessity for major demolition.
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Wow! I won't be getting to know my head that well thankfully! Nice work Doug. It was great meeting you and Sue(and Chris) in Rockport. Glad you got onboard. That's as far as the WC is moving before launch.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Tom Young wrote:I need a new head.
So does this guy.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Post by cantstopnow »

I'm pretty sure that the horses name is Thor!
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Google 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow'. Also read about it in Wikipedia.
Tom Young

Still scraping my head!!!

Post by Tom Young »

With a heat gun. A lot of paint. As is typical, the primer gave up in areas and lost it's bond to the plywood. So I really need to get most of it off or it will continue to peel. I'm using various scrapers as well with all the different nooks and crannies. Almost finished,.....Image
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

That kind of work is so not fun and so essential. Keep telling yourself what ever it is you been telling, 'cause its got you almost there.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Was that surface originally varnished? (I would have hoped that the varnish would have protected the wood against absorption of the paint.) Are you going to wood and varnish? Will you strip the plywood overhead, too?

Happily, LeComte used melamine or similar plastic laminate surfaces in the head. The 1 cm marine plywood is Makore on one face and laminate on the other and is as yet surviving perfectly. I don't know whether it was manufactured that way or shop laminated.

I have been, occasionally and as necessary, using a heat gun and scraper, then sander on my gib-window rebuild project. It does not take many minutes of exposure to lead paint dust to leave my nasal passages swollen and drippy. I know we're of an age to be bone-headed...
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Quetzalsailor wrote:Was that surface originally varnished? (I would have hoped that the varnish would have protected the wood against absorption of the paint.) Are you going to wood and varnish? Will you strip the plywood overhead, too?
I don't think it was ever varnished. I wish it had been. Down below, I think it holds up better. I suppose they painted for light.

At any rate, varnish is a lot easier to remove than oil enamel. Peels very nicely with some heat(as we all know) where as the original primer is still well stuck in most areas.

I'll repaint with oil and yes, I've already stripped the overhead(fir ply) which is painted throughout the boat. I've almost got it all off now. It's just a matter of scraping and sanding and filling,...and sanding,... before paint.
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

And I still don't have one, yet. I'm always amazed how long this stuff takes. When it involves painting or varnishing, it involves drying time. And this time of year, it's tempting to rush it. And there in lies a problem. Having finally sanded, filled, sanded, primed, and sanded again. I couldn't wait to get some enamel on and get this to where I can put it back together. I've had it with my head.

So with a tiny roller and a good bristle brush, the paint in the pan, I'm rolling it on, and it's acting kind of crabby, like a brat kid, the paint. You know, no flow,.....

So you're in your boat, there's no thinner, if that would have even helped. The reason was, the air and probably more so, the surfaces were too cold. By the time I got the coat on, it was beginning to flow as the incandescent work light was enough heat to finally warm the little space. But the damage was done.

I should know better, I've made this mistake before. So it's good to have other projects going on your boat. With disgust, I shut the door on the head seeing the brush marks, the sags now folded over from dragging the brush across. I knew there was nothing I could do now but let it dry, really dry, for several days, so I could sand it flat............................again,..........

Walk away. As if painting inside a refrigerator carton isn't hard enough, you now have to do it,..again!

Walk away. I do a little wooding after work on the cabinsides these days, and maybe brush a little varnish on the head locker door. This old door design that is used throughout my old boat is quite simple and very nice. Well constructed of a plywood panel with mahogany rails and stiles, it's stood the test of time, 50 years, and still going strong. Nice old design like this is art to me, so I put it on my wifes easel, and shot it. It's done!

And this afternoon, I sanded the nobby paint down, and put a pretty smooth coat over it, in the nice warm refrigerator carton.
Tom Young

They all come to an end.

Post by Tom Young »

That's a mantra I have often repeated to myself as a home design builder, for encouragement when a tedious project drags on. It's a good thing to remember when you're working on your boat too.

A few loose ends to tie up, like the new plumbing arrangement. With our new NDZ designation in Penobscot Bay, I'm running the head directly to the holding tank. A Y valve off the tank discharge will go to the deck plate or the hand waste pump. The hand pump will run through a vented loop, and out the overboard discharge seacock. As well as the holding tank, I plan to fit the Y valve and pump in the hamper next to the sink.

Not that the NDZ means much over the current laws (3 mi overboard), but I suspect it will raise awareness of any enforcement coming onboard.

Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

I finally got around to plumbing. I cleaned up the installation by running directly to the holding tank and just having the vented loop outside the hamper. Image

In the hamper, the hand pump and just a T that directs the holding tank through the hand pump and overboard if the seacock is open and of course the deck plate is tightened.

With the seacock closed, it will pump out through the deck discharge and shouldn't harm the hand pump (I hope). The vented loop will allow some air, of no benefit I can think of, but no harm I can see as long as the check valve in the hand pump is adequate. Image

It all checked out today with water ( a better test medium) and pumps the tank in no time .
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Some have said it would have been ok to omit the vented loop and go straight from the pump out the the thru hull.
I considered that but the idea of the pump, bladder and all the other connections below the water line, makes me nervous. Anyone know if omitting the vented loop is ok and I'm just too cautious?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Tom Young wrote:Some have said it would have been ok to omit the vented loop and go straight from the pump out the the thru hull.
That's a loaded question. Is your holding tank above or below the water line? Does your toilet discharge through the same thru-hull? If so where do the 2 lines merge? If so will you always remember to leave your y-valve in the "to the tank" position when not actually flushing over board? A vented loop prevents siphoning, is there a risk of this occurring? If the answer to the last question is yes, then a vented loop is highly recommended. Its all a matter of elevations of components, which includes time spent healing as well as at anchor.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

As I mentioned Dave, everything is below the waterline. I guess you have to assume the worst, you won't close seacocks, turn Y valves, etc, even though I religiously close all of them when I leave the boat. Someone on another board mentioned I could omit the loop. I wonder what a surveyor would require? I decided it should be there, the idea of all that below the waterline makes me nervous.