Triton #635 Engine Room Rehab

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Triton #635 Engine Room Rehab

Post by Eric »

In the interest of giving something back to the folks here who have provided so much good info, I offer a photo summary of the shoestring rehab of the engine installation on my east coast boat Sophia. I put this together last year for family and friends, so it wasn't intended for the mechanic, but, I think it provides enough to give you a good idea of what I did.

To view my Picasa Web Album for this project, click here.

Enjoy with my thanks!

-- Eric

Triton #635 Sophia
Last edited by Eric on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Triton #635 Engine Room Rehab

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks Eric! Great photos. I'm midway through installing a new Yanmar so I really appreciate seeing other setups. I'm sitting out day 2 of a blizzard that is likely to last another day or two so looking at boats is all I'll be doing for a while.
Cheers, David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Eric

Post by Eric »

Your very welcome, David. I spent a good part of my weekend shoveling the walk to my shop. Let me know if you have any questions about my choices.

-- Eric
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Eric,
The pictures are very helpful. I like your idea of moving the fuel tank forward. I have the same old arrangement and nothing much fits in the starboard locker except the companionway washboards.

Did you run into any snags removing the engine?

Thanks. David
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hulukupu wrote: Did you run into any snags removing the engine?
Nope--this went quite well. I used a single floor jack and a pair of jack stands during removal and I had to move the jack back and forth several times. I had acquired a second floor jack by the time I reinstalled, and this made it much easier. There isn't much room under the bridge deck so you'll need to find a crossbeam of the right length (about 5') that is not too thick. I got away with using an iron pry bar (visible in one of the photos) that was just stiff enough. A heavy piece of 1" channel iron would have been a better choice.

I had to split a frozen nut on one of the rear mounts and chowdered it up past reuse, but, this is to be expected, I think. Unless they are fairly new, you probably want to plan on replacing these anyway.

-- E

Edited to add that moving the tank forward was not originally my idea. Also to note that the captions on the photos in the album tell the story of the project for those inclined to wade through it. I won't be insulted if you chose not to, though.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'm wondering if people are missing the link to the album, just below the picture above. I thought you gals liked pictures--why so quiet?

Here it is again. To view my Picasa Web Album for this project, click here.

Take a look and then bring on the questions and comments--I welcome a friendly debate.
Last edited by Eric on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

I enjoyed your photos from the original post. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Beautiful work!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Nice work!

I, too, rebuilt casework for easier engine access on our previous boat. Certainly makes all the difference!

I wonder if there should be discussion about maintaining the location of the bussbars? Seems to me that ABYC frowns upon that location near an engine.

Needless to say, I have an agenda: my LeComte's bussbars are in the same place and probably a huge job to move since all the plastic conduits this boat has end there.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Quetzalsailor wrote:I wonder if there should be discussion about maintaining the location of the bussbars? Seems to me that ABYC frowns upon that location near an engine.

Needless to say, I have an agenda: my LeComte's bussbars are in the same place and probably a huge job to move since all the plastic conduits this boat has end there.
I'd welcome the discussion, though I predict it will be only an academic interest for me. As the owner operator and amateur mechanic, I try to consider all of the risks I can think of when making an "improvement" to the boat, but, I've never attempted to read the ABYC guidelines. Locating these connections where I can quickly and safely troubleshoot and repair a problem, minimize the length of wire runs, afford to build, and build in a reasonable amount of time all get rolled into my fuzzy gray calculator along with survive a fire or prevent an explosion. If the engine were fueled with gasoline instead of diesel, I might be more concerned about this.

Here are before and after photos of the installation. The engine was originally installed at a large yard down state (that will remain nameless) for a PO two owners and maybe 10 years ago.

Image Image

When I install insulation (this winter, I think), I will block airflow between the panel and the engine, further reducing the risk perhaps. I hope that my work has made the boat safer. I do much of my sailing solo. I go offshore with small craft advisories flying. I don't believe I'm self destructive, but, I accept that I'm exposing myself to many risks in the process. I choose not to wear a helmet.

I'd probably benefit from learning more about the ABYC guidance. Are they freely available? Is there a consumer grade version that doesn't require a law or engineering degree to penetrate? Does Tim offer an Adult Ed class?

Thanks for your kind comments!

-- E

[Edited to add the after view.]
Last edited by Eric on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Quetzalsailor wrote:Seems to me that ABYC frowns upon that location near an engine.
Not really.

There are numerous specific situations detailed in applicable ABYC standards in which electrical wiring runs or connections are required to be certain distances from other installations or in certain positions because of spark potential or heat concerns (specifically gasoline fuel system components and certain exhaust system components), but in general there's not a limitation on buss bar installation or other wiring in engine spaces, particularly when diesel-powered (as seen here), which eliminates most of the fuel system proximity concerns associated with electrical wiring.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
avd155

Post by avd155 »

Thanks for the photos! I was wondering if you have any images of the way you mounted your engine to the engine mounts. I noticed that in this image: http://tinyurl.com/yemrb3x ... you used an angle iron to mount the engine to. Can you give more details how you secured this to the existing engine mounts?
Eric

Post by Eric »

avd155 wrote: Can you give more details how you secured this to the existing engine mounts?
I reused the adaptation provided by the installer after cleaning it up and painting it. I would have preferred to build a new mount following Tim's technique (for example see Circe), but, my time was limited and I could detect no weakness with what I had. Here is a photo that shows it pretty clearly.

-- Eric