Stanchion-mounted Bulwarks

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Stanchion-mounted Bulwarks

Post by Duncan »

There was some interest expressed on this in a thread in the Classifieds section.

Here's a LINK to how this was accomplished on a Cape Dory 28 (which recently completed a circumnavigation).
Cape Dory 10 & 27
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Stanchion-mounted Bulwarks

Post by CapnK »

Nice idea. In addition to adding a decent sized bulwark for a small vessel, I imagine that the stanchions being tied together might strengthen the whole system up a bit. And it doesn't look like it would be prohibitively expensive or technical to accomplish.

Thx for the link, Dunc.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

http://smaalders.net/yacht_design/Picas ... index.html
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
I thought that was a cool way of doing a bulwark... rest of the site is pretty cool. Lots of varnish and stuff.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ooh, shiny! Nice looking design.

Not to mention the whole boat at that link. Wow.

Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I keep mulling over this style... I love the look of a squared off hull joint, sharp crisp shear line. Bulwarks that don't puddle water...

But, what happens when you drop a wrench on deck... And you lose the ability to use the deck as a water collector. (Foot funk and all)
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've thought of the same things. I sailed with decent bulwarks (6" or so) that were closed at the bottom. The bulwark part was great, but man could they funnel a lot of water back to the cockpit (not enough scupperage to drain it beforehand). And if we were barreling along on a reach, and (slightly overpowered) enough to dip the rail, well that sure looked like a LOT of water to be dragging along. I never did any calculations, but it was not comforting.

Even with all that collecting ability, I never used the decks for water collecting. But that's probably because teak just doesn't get clean the same way fiberglass does. There is the possibility of using the bimini or mainsail (if sailing obviously) though.

I *think* I would trade any water/wrench keeping abilities for the quick drainage. Also, depending on how strong you make them, they could be a handy place to attach things.

So yeah, if I thought I could live with/enjoy how they looked (not saying I don't like the look, because I generally do; just thinking that you could potentially overwhelm a smaller, sleeker boat), I believe I would go for the full-length, raised, yet open-at-the-bottom bulwarks.

Rachel
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

On my last Triton I used a similar bracket, not as well done but effective, made of 3/16" x 1 1/2" stainless I believe the brackets were 3" on the base and 5 1/2" high with a brace welded to one side. Onto them I bolted a piece of mahogany approximately 12' long by 3 1/2" wide rounded on both ends with all edges rounded and painted light grey with nonskid inboard.
It started at the step in the cabin trunk and ran forward to just aft of the forward post on the pulpit. The brackets were mounted up against the existing toe rail with the plank outboard, a space was left between the toe rail and the plank. I saw no need to go any farther aft, the goal was to keep things,myself included, from going over the side on the foredeck and to provide footing while reefing close hauled. By painting light grey and not running full length they were hardly noticeable.
I have some pictures, if I can figure how to scan and upload them I will post.

Barry
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Barry,

That sounds like an interesting idea - for a smaller boat especially. I'd love to see the photos. If you can't get them uploaded feel free to PM me and I can try to help you.

Rachel
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

Rachael;
Thanks for the offer, it was not as hard as I anticipated.

triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Thanks Barry. I've been pondering this for a long time, and I really like your idea. Looks/appearances have never really been high on my list of priorities (safety and comfort are more important to me), but I have to say that doesn't look bad at all!
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Looks great Barry! What a great idea.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

Rachel;

I just read my last post and realized that I had misspelled your name, it was not intentional, my apologies.

Barry
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

No worries, Barry; it was nice of you to notice and mention something.

Those bulwark/toerail pieces do look really nice, and functional. If you ever come across a photo of the whole boat (say from a bit more of a distance), that would be nice to see too. Thanks again for posting the photos.

Rachel
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Barry,
They look nice. The simplicity appeals to me.
What was the source for the brackets?
David
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

David'

They were made by the person that made my vane, but any local welder could make them. I had them made at 90 degrees and they worked fine but if I were to do it again I would adjust for the angle of the deck.

Barry