The Head

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

The Head

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

After so many years, I finally put together some pictures on the installation of a new head on my Pearson 39. Maybe one of these days I'll get a picture of the total finished product all "tarted-up"! In the meantime:

http://www.pearson39.net/projects/head.htm
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Re: The Head

Post by Robert The Gray »

very nice indeedy. Looks like you could do dentistry in there.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Thanks Robert... perhaps I should figure out where to mount my drill? :)
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Hmmm, I posted a semi detailed reply to this thread yesterday, and today it is gone. I know I clicked on the submit button, and even waited until I saw my reply in place. I do that all the time as I use the preview option a lot before actually submitting for many posts to assure I like how a reply reads and looks.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

No posts have been deleted from this thread, so there was either a server error, or the post wasn't actually submitted.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Dave, I'm still interested in hearing your comments. Can you post them again?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Sure Mike, didn't have time to rethink what I had posted the other day. I will try to now.

For reference, and Mike already knows this, I am a Sealand "SuperTech" which is their way of saying I am certified by means of a 2 day course and exam to install VacuFlush systems and do warranty work.

You will note that Mike placed the vacuum generator above the toilet and the holding tank. This assures that at no time is there any standing black water in the plumbing. It is all in the holding tank when the system is not in use. All of the holding tank fittings are in the top, so no fitting or hose connection is submerged and hence prone to seapage. The toilet only discharges to the holding tank, so no need for a vented loop for protection of this portion of the system as there is no contact with a hole in the boat. The tank can be pumped overboard when law allows which means that offshore there is no limit to the use of the head. Because only intentional pumping overboard could occur (vs accidental like when you have a Y-valve and direct overboard option), inshore the system is compliant with even the strictest of laws. A seacock lock might be required in some states to be fully compliant.

The only thing I would have, and have done differently is to eliminate the Y-valve. There is simply no need for one and the mechanics of them are susceptible to seepage and hence odor. When you are pumping overboard, your deck fitting cap assures that the waste can only go through the seacock. When you pump out at a facility or pump out boat, your discharge pump acts as a shut off to assure the suction only affects the tank. The only real need for a Y-valve occurs when you have the to tank and direct discharge options.

Probably the best thing about a VacuFlush system is that many wives like them. I don't mean to be sexist, but numerous customers have thanked me for helping to make cruising more enjoyable for their wives which in turn makes them happier. The only 2 real negatives about them I can think of is that they rely on electricity and they are expensive. They aren't for everyone.

BTW Mike, the head looks great too.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Thanks Dave...

Thanks too for pointing out all the particulars-- all those considerations that I thought about at the time, but that I now take for granted.
Hirilondë wrote: Probably the best thing about a VacuFlush system is that many wives like them. I don't mean to be sexist, but numerous customers have thanked me for helping to make cruising more enjoyable for their wives which in turn makes them happier. The only 2 real negatives about them I can think of is that they rely on electricity and they are expensive. They aren't for everyone.
ding ding ding ding!!!

...and the expense is easily recovered through the fact that it makes cruising more enjoyable.