Alden Challenger "false" bulkhead

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Alden Challenger "false" bulkhead

Post by Challenger949L »

My Challenger Kittywake has been a lawn ornament for a little while now, so I am starting to get to a little bit of restoration. I just reconstructed the "false" bulkhead on the port side that separates the galley from the cocpit locker. The old one had pretty well rotted away, as a "fix" a previous owner had put white plastic on the bulkhead. This plastic and a small bit of the bulkhead remained I was able to use it for a template. I cut a piece out of ridged insulation material for a test fit. When everthing looked good I transfered the shape to plywood (1/2 marine grade ply bonded to 1/4 okume with epoxy). I cut the piece out then test fit the plwood bulkhead which needed a little shaving here and there. I coated the bulkhead in epoxy and varnished the finish side. Today I plan to epoxy the other side (locker side) and paint that side white. I call this a false bulkhead because it is not tabbed in, and originally it seems, was was just screwed to the cockpit framing. I plan to epoxy some small teak cleats to the hull so that the bottom of he bulkhead may be more securely attatched. The bulkhead across from this one is tabbed in and will also need to be replaced.
I will post pictures later.
Jimmy Small
949L
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Re: Alden Challenger "false" bulkhead

Post by Challenger949L »

Here is a picture of the bulkhead.
most of it will be hidden when installed.
Jimmy