Boat chshions cost WHAT ?!?

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Boat chshions cost WHAT ?!?

Post by s/v Groovy »

After much procrastination, I finally just did it. The old cushions were, well, original. Two years ago I received a quote from some old ladies making 'Boat Cushions' for let's say WAY too much. I quickly decided that sewing pillows with my Grandma, when I was 8, was a reasonable foundation for upholstery work, and then… I procrastinated, for a year! After some time on E-bay I had 18 yards of fabric left over from reupholstering movie theater seats ($80) and some Delrin zippers ($12). I started practicing sewing 2 pieces together and quickly killed the same (now inherited) sewing machine I used when I was 8. Back to E-Bay and for $50 (+$40 shipping) I had an all metal White sewing machine with an external motor. I continued to sew seams and seeing how many layers this one will go though, I got up to 9 layers of Sunbrella! I made paper patterns from the boat and cut foam with an old electric turkey knife. I even sewed a 'practice' cushion (12"x12"x2") and then… I procrastinated, for a another year! I finally came to the realization that the only way I would clean up the back 'storage' bedroom was to just start to sew. Attached are some before and after pictures. One of the new features is the aft seat cushion. When the PO had a diesel installed there was a fiberglass bubble added to the lid for clearance. The old cushion just sat on top, you can see the fiberglass edge in the before pic. The new cushion has cutouts underneath to hide this bubble and is now snapped on so when you open the engine compartment that cushion stays put on the lid. The second part of the aft seat now can be independently removed to access a hatch underneath.

I guess the other boat jobs took priority, but in the end I saved a lot. I now have new cushions and the satisfaction of another check mark on the worklist. (now about that Formica…)

Before:

After:

Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Boat chshions cost WHAT ?!?

Post by Chris Campbell »

Nice job! I hope I can do as well (or somewhere near it) when my time comes.

Congratulations!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Those look great! What a difference from the previous covers. Good on you for persevering :)

Rachel
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Sewing your own saves boatloads of money. Certain things are not easy to do but with patience a lot of projects can be done satisfactorily. Looks good!
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

The cushions are lookin good! Mine are heavy stiff vinyl - I haven't seen that color Sunbrella but I'm glad to see some other colors.. Pearson must have had alot of that yellow formica ---my Pearson Renegade has it too.... Whatever they glued that stuff down with was GOOD! Mine will not come off so will have to sand it down to re-cover -
jim
Pearson Renegade #147 "Sooner"
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Wish I had the skill! I just had mine re-done - friend of the family seamstress - I bought the material via E-bay also....
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Gregg,

Nice work. Add us, and I mean Laura, to the list of people headed down your path.

Bill