New project.....

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

New project.....

Post by Tom Javor »

Spoke with the hauler this evening, he should be going up to the Cape for my Sailmaster on this Friday - weather permitting. The boat is sitting on the lawn and the house is on a dirt drive - he's been a bit reluctant to go until the weather finally broke. Originally I was going to slap a coat of bottom paint on and then splash, he has given me an attractive quote to bring the boat to my house and then pick her up for launch in a week or two. It will be worth the rather modest extra to get the boat cleaned up properly - I may even decide to paint over the powder blue non skid before going in. I also plan to take advantage of having it in the driveway to further investigate the centerboard's status. I'll post some new pictures once she's here.

TJ
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: New project.....

Post by Oscar »

There's nothing like having the house, boat and all the tools in one place......
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

Amen to that.

Keep us updated, I love your boat.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Oscar wrote:There's nothing like having the house, boat and all the tools in one place......
Work, boat and the tools in one place is my favorite.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

She's home........

Post by Tom Javor »

In the middle of another deluge of biblical proportions the hauler got my Sailmaster in place in the drive. He was able to position blocking so I have clear access to the centerboard trunk. And, yes chains were added right after I took the picture.

Plan to get to work this weekend.

Happy Fourth of July everyone.
TJ
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Hard to tell from the picture, but I would be tempted to do some pruning on the trees to cut down on the "organic matter" falling on deck.....oh wait, the admiral is going to let you build a tent over it.....Image
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

there is no admiral in the house so I can tent what I want where I want :)
TJ
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Tom Javor wrote:there is no admiral in the house so I can tent what I want where I want :)
What do you mean? I don't understand.

Do you mean that as long as you have the money you can spend it on the boat? That you can choose what you are going to work on?

I am having a hard time with this.

Gadda go, I hear something about cleaning toilets for company that is coming over for a cookout.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

LazyGuy wrote:
Tom Javor wrote:there is no admiral in the house so I can tent what I want where I want :)
What do you mean? I don't understand.

Do you mean that as long as you have the money you can spend it on the boat? That you can choose what you are going to work on?
That's generally how it works, yes :D

R.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

Had a good laugh yesterday (in between crying over the rain that ruined a party and threatened to ruin my fireworks....4 deluges
of over 1/2 an inch each....). Buddy of mine who is absolutely spolied by unlimited access to his folks' Sabre 36 stopped by to see the "new" boat. I had sort of dreaded this, figuring I was going to hear all about the shortcomings in comparison to a modern design and my old Herreshoff S. All through my hunt he kept sending info on current clorox bottles. Have to say that classic Sparkman and Stephens won the day - first words out of his mouth were "hey, that's got really nice lines....." Followed by "Looks tobe in pretty nice condition, how much was she?" I took great pleasure in reminding him 500 bucks.

Decision is made - good scrubbing below, couple fast coats of varnish on the mast, coat of bottom paint and she's heading into the water. Got a price to soda blast the entire boat ($1600). Could be done this coming week but that then starts the process of sanding, priming, sanding , painting and with the rotten weather pattern we're having in the NE it could take until September to get the finish work done (in June we had measurable rain on 25 of 30 days) I'm going sailing........
TJ
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

Dennis

That's exactly how it works. Even better - I can bring my mast in the house to do varnish work and the only problem with that will be keeping my cat off it.
TJ
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I can bring my mast in the house to do varnish work and the only problem with that will be keeping my cat off it.
Reminds me of a friend that disassembled his Harley in the kitchen......
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Luckily, her dad has a warehouse/storage that he set up as a workshop. It is where I did the dingy resto. Evidently like mother-like daughter he couldn't do anything at home either that is why he has the workshop 3 miles from home.
Tom Javor wrote:I can bring my mast in the house to do varnish work and the only problem with that will be keeping my cat off it.

I haven't figured out how to keep the cat off of stuff either so....
Attachments
Thwart.JPG
Thwart.JPG (9.19 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

Hey Tom I was thinking that had nice lines myself and then you say its an old Herreshoff design, I'm not sure why I should be suprised owning an old Herreshoff designed Chrysler C-22 myself.

Mine is still in the yard being worked on everyday, just working on a trailer now and lucky we haven't seen much rain.

as far as keeping the cats off the project I give up tring they just cant whine to me if something drops on them....lol
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Update and looking for input....

Post by Tom Javor »

The cabin has been well cleaned overhead to bilges - the mouse smell seem to have been banished along with the mildew staining - came out a clean bright white. Yes there is some flaking paint but it's clean and smells that way. Diluted bleachworks wonders though it creates a toxic soup when used on dried rodent urine ......Same as mixing bleach and ammonia.

Been over the mast and things look sound. There are a few spots in the varnish that need attention to get through this season. The boom has one joint that needs to be reglued - some slow epoxy, a syringe, and 1/2 dozen clamps will put that to right. The head is coming out and being replaced wth a portapottie in the next day or so.

Where I'm waivering is on the hull itself - had said I was just doing the minimum this year and then launching. But the boat is in a decent work spot on the drive, yes I have tree stuff to deal with but prefer that to parking lot dust in a boatyard and the usual rush to get things done or be moved numerous times in a yard. Plus the convenience of havng things at hand in the house/garage...I'm back to considering having the entire boat sodablasted and then priming/painting and getting it over with. I have decided it will be paint - I want the option of changing hull color in the future. Quote to sodablast the bottom, topsides, deck and cockpit is 1600.00. Seems like a lot of money until I consider the amount of sandpaper, scraper blades and filler to repair the inevitable gouges - plus it's over and done with in one day not weeks. Just seems as if I should take advantage of the current location and get as much done as possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Thanks for the input.
TJ
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Do you want to sail this summer?
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

yes I do but it's also a question of the convenience of just getting it done and no dragging it out
TJ
Andrew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Adagio
Boat Type: Sailmaster 22

Post by Andrew »

I had the same thought when I first bought my Sailmaster, and it ended up taking me three years to finally get it in the water. I feel like projects always take way longer than you think they will, and before you know it the summer will be gone. The soda blasting might only take one day, but then you need at least two days for primer, two days for the top coat, inevitably you will want to do the cove stripe and boot top, and given the weather so far this summer, it could be October by the time we have 5 days of good painting weather. Your paint doesn't look that bad right now, I would just launch it and enjoy. Besides, dragging out boat projects is part of the fun, isn't it?

That said, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and can completely understand why you would want to repaint now...
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

question

Post by Tom Javor »

Here's what could be an incredibly naive question;

If I have the boat soda blasted now and get the topsides primed and painted, as well as the the bottom done what is to keep me from using the boat with the decks unpainted so long as I don't discover any major issues lurkng under the paint? That way I would have the decks cleaned up to be tackled in the spring after I removed hardware and dealt with those small areas that hadn't been blasted but could still salvage most of the remaining sailing season.
TJ
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I feel like projects always take way longer than you think they will
Triple the time, double the money.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Happy sailor....

Post by Tom Javor »

The still as yet unnamed Sailmaster launched this morning with no trouble, on the mooring by 8 30. It still amazes me to watch the haulers back and swing their trailer around so easily. I know, practice makes perfect, but still.... Couple of friends are coming by this evening and we're going to give a try at stepping the mast, it's in a tabernacle so it should be fine with 3 of us to walk it up.

TJ
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Post by cantstopnow »

The lines look just as good in the water.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Lovely!
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

You made the right decision! The weather we have had this year has been so horrible that if you had waited you might have missed the whole season. AND the boat looks gorgeous. I am thinking about getting my boat "done" on the decks and cockpit with a local fiberglass and paint wizard. I will miss having her as a lawn ornament, but unless I build a major tent there is no way I can do the work at my house. Unless maybe we tear down the house.....
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

I just can't jump on the bandwagon and ogle over you beauty until the mast is up. A sailboat in the water without her mast is just wrong. So I'll be waiting for those mast up pictures. Or even better the ones under sail from the stern quarter with the rail buried.

Good on ya for getting her wet.

Cheers,
Bill
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Rigged and almost ready to go....

Post by Tom Javor »

Two buddies, a bit of grunting ,some sweat, only a moderate amount of cursing and she's almost completely rigged.....

Just need to find the damn turnbuckle body for the headstay - it was there yesterdy afternoon when I checked and rechecked supplies/parts for stepping the mast - and then balance the tension in shrouds, etc . It has to be buried under gear in the cabin. Until then some Kevcord (amazing stuff, I always have about 20/25 ft of 1/16 or so stuffed on board somewhere) works quite well to tension the stay at the mooring. Need to find that buckle body so I can do a shakedown cruise -SOON.

Have to admit - she's pretty, especially for 500 bucks.........
TJ