Always something, this year I had a rudder to repair.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Always something, this year I had a rudder to repair.

Post by Tom Young »

Although the Alden Challengers are glass hull and deck, the rudders were built of wood. One bolt had sheered off and another was just hanging on to what was left of the bronze after nearly 50 years. After removing the old parts, I got what I needed in new bronze at Rockport Marine in town. All in all, not a bad project. Image

With the new fastenings installed and tight in the bronze (I went up a size in one bolt and the #28 wood screws) and everything back together, all the play is gone. This repair will outlast me.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Always something, this year I had a rudder to repair.

Post by Oscar »

The inspector in the lower left hand corner seems to approve! Looks very pretty.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Always something, this year I had a rudder to repair.

Post by Hirilondë »

From what I have seen the rudder was the last part of the boat to make the transition to fiberglass. This has always puzzled me.

Looks like you did exactly what needed to be done.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.