Pearson Ariel #422

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
CapnK
Site Admin

Pearson Ariel #422

Post by CapnK »

Well, 4 years on, after trying ***EVERY POSSIBLE*** interior combination in search of the best :), I have started on the construction phase. I'm beginning this next-to-last construction in the v-berth. I say 'next to last' because how I am doing it, I will still have some wiggle room WRT customization/changes. But - I don't think I'll need it.

What I've finally figured out is a way to do the build-in, while I live-in. Here's how I describe it to people:

Imagine living, with all your 'stuff', in a walk-in closet. A closet that happens to be pointy on one end. Now, do construction in there, too. That's what it's like.

:D

So the problem has been to find a way to exist within the space, while creating and changing it. The icing on the problem is to do so in a manner which allows the rest of my life to continue, ie; work to pay the bills, and fitting in the creation/changing when I can. I've had some great ideas that I won't be able to use (foam "plywood" being the best, IMO), regrettably. But what I've come up with is "good enough", and seems to be working well.

I'm doing it using 1x4" white pine planks. It's a wood that is:

* of local origin (I wanted at least part of the boat to be made of local material)
* cheap
* easy to work
* takes resin well
* a manageable size for working with in the confines of the boat

And the way that I am doing the construction is suited to my admittedly primitive carpentry skills (or lack thereof). I can work in small bits - if I only have 20 minutes, I can work just that long, and still make/see progress. I can do all the cutting and drilling while onboard (and even at night), and immediately put parts into their place. At present, I am only semi-permanently tacking everything together with drywall screws - rough but functional. If it works well after it's all together, then I will permanently assemble it with resin/glue/cloth etc. How it is now will be plenty strong enough for me to determine whether I will be doing that, or making some changes first.

I am not sure how I am going to finish it (appearance-wise), but am leaning towards 'pickling' the pine, keeping it light and airy inside.

This past week, I've done the first bit, the port side of the v-berth. With that practice under my belt, I should be able to get the starboard side done and be working in the "main cabin" by this weekend.

In keeping with my intention to make the boat (hopefully) sink-proof, I've raised the top of the v-berth 9" above where it was originally. Partitioning off a 13" wide section of this against the main bulkhead gave me about 20 gallons of storage. I don't know how many cubic feet that is, but the bin I used to keep my food in is 18 gallons, and all of that fit in easily with some room to spare. The 'temporarily permanent' construction I am doing is allowing me to make sure that my concepts actually work in reality.

It's gonna be nice to be binless soon, for the first time in ~5 years.

Old Pearson aficionados may notice that I have removed a large part of the main bulkhead. Information regarding that can be seen at the Ariel site on this page, a few posts from the top.

Attachments
DSCF0962.JPG
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Pearson Ariel #422

Post by CapnK »

In brief: I did do the above for a while. Then I decided not to do it that way. Lived aboard another 4 years, figured out the Best Of All Possible Layouts for me, and began the work only to wind up getting an Islander 36. I do still have the Ariel, and plan to put her back into sailing shape this spring, with a minimalist interior based on my BOAPL. Then, I'm not sure. The market price for these great little boats is disappointingly low - even one in stellar shape might fetch only a few thousand. So I may even keep her on a trailer, shrinkwrapped, at a buddys farm, as a "back up boat", as tat wouldn't cost me a dime, and would be great "insurance". :) But I'm going to post the work I do to her in the meanwhile on this thread, starting in the next week or two with a deep cleaning and mildew-killing fest. :)
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

Lost Petrel
Alberg Appreciater
Boat Name: Mariah
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Post by Lost Petrel »

You mean like this

Mariah in back tarped;

CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Heh. Your barn looks like My Dock. lol :D
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422