Caprail replacement with Ipe

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Caprail replacement with Ipe

Post by Capn_Tom »

I've posted previously under the "Rub Rail Modifications" topic but have decided to quit hijacking someone elses topic and start my own. Hopefully over the next week I'll do my sworn duty as a forum member and post some pictures.

My ipe has arrived and I am beginning to fabricate the pieces for the bow. If by some miracle it quits raining I'll start getting this thing together.

The caprail that I am replacing had traditional scarf joints. I am considering changing these to half lap joints where possible. My reasoning is that ipe is purported to glue poorly and the half lap will give me more bonding surface and I can screw down through the joint for additional strength. Additionally if I used scarf joints and the joint failed this would allow water through the caprail and possible through the screw holes and into the boat. In order to maintain some aesthetic appeal I though I might angle the half lap joints.

What say you?
The board does not cut itself short!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Caprail replacement with Ipe

Post by Hirilondë »

Scarf joints are primarily for joints that are under strains. An example would be a toe rail that is bent under tension into place. For a cap rail which is set in place with no loads on the joints anything will work really. Cap rails are often done with decorative joints. I can't speak first hand to glue and Ipe, but increasing the glued surface won't help keep a glue from failing, it adds strength to the joint if the glue does not fail. It isn't my favorite, but some boats use open then caulked joints between pieces of cap rail. Some of these use decorative shapes to the joints.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Are you no longer feeling 'duty' bound?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

Nope just moving slow. My daughter is graduating from high school and the wife has loaded me down with projects around the house in preparation for a party. I have all but 2 sections fitted. I did figure out that when the construction manual says 13/16x8 they mean by 8 and not 7 1/2. The slight reduction in width significantly changes the usable length of the board on the curved sections. In the end I'll end up with one more joint than the original.

Pictures still forthcoming!
stone
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by stone »

I am getting ready to put down my new teak toe rail. Will be interested in seeing your pics.
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by John, CD28 »

Capn_Tom wrote:I've posted previously under the "Rub Rail Modifications" topic but have decided to quit hijacking someone elses topic and start my own. Hopefully over the next week I'll do my sworn duty as a forum member and post some pictures...
What say you?
I have noticed a common theme in many of the posts here...

John ;)
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

LOL, I think you have the reality of it well displayed John, but sometimes we do much more than just a 90 degree turn.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

I got this project to the 90% complete stage a while back but as is typical for me moved on to other projects before completing the last few details. I did at least take some pictures today before covering up for the long winter nap.

jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

That's stunning! It looks like it compliments your teak parts very nicely.

Joe
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

That boat just looks "right"!
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"