Hawse pipe fix/Fiberglass repair

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Hawse pipe fix/Fiberglass repair

Post by BALANCE »

I just removed my starboard bow hawse pipe today. I learned a few days ago that the boat had some damage on that side 8 years ago which explained why it looked the way it looked all around the rim on the inboard side. I've been trying to chase down leaks and thought this one might be one of the culprits. (although I don't seem to have any leaks forward of the mast. Also note that the boat is on the hard and canted a little - bow up). It was bedded in there big time and half way through I decided this was NOT a source of a leak but there was no turning back. Here are some pictures.

Before I started:

Note the void of fiberglass at about 8 o'clock filled with some bedding:

Pick, pick, pick:

Filled with epoxy:

This all took about 2 hours. I used the slow hardener, it was about 70 degrees outside, maybe a little less with the breeze. 2 hours later the stuff had not kicked, I could still move it around in the application and in the plastic container I mixed it in. I'm hoping that my only problem was that it was too cool for the slow and will simply take more time to cure and that the integrity is not lacking. The only other thing I might mention that will allow someone here with more experience to say 'that's why' and that is that my slow hardener is a larger containor than my fast. I first used the fast weeks ago on something else. I used the same pump (stored in a bag) for the slow yesterday and since the pump was so short I put an extender on it after cleaning it up, pumping it dry(er). I gave both pumps some sacrificial pumps before making the stew to ensure I was getting the right dose. Does the length of the 'tube' on the pump effect the amount? All of a sudden that's sounding like a stupid question - perhaps to be followed by a 'duh'? :)

Look forward to some comments.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Hawse pipe fix/Fiberglass repair

Post by Rachel »

On the epoxy, I would give it some time to see if it will kick. You could put a little heat on it if you want to try to speed it up. The pumps are meant for certain sized containers (typically A & B), if I remember correctly. But I think that the typical pumps are good for both slow and fast hardener in the containers normally sold (I think the special clear - whatever it's called - and the tropical hardener use different ratios).

On the hawse-hole, I've never been fond of the way Westsail put those into the hollow bulwark with no fiberglass or filler between the two shells (outer and inner bulwark). I think it can lead to leaks, even though there is a brass/bronze inner lip on the hawse-hole hardware. I'd like to see something there, but maybe I'm just being too persnickety.

Rachel
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Hawse pipe fix/Fiberglass repair

Post by BALANCE »

It kicked, I'm happy. I've been thinking about ways to stiffen/solidify that area too, while it's open.

Edited to add: R, there is no chance for leaking between the two bronze fittings. I was just referring to the area on either side.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32