Anchor platform and roller

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Anchor platform and roller

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi All,

I've received a few questions about the anchor platform on my C&C 40 "Delphinus" -- here's the info and some pictures...

The 1979 C&C 40 comes with a cast aluminum anchor platform with integral chocks. It is rated for an anchor up to 22 lbs. This data is pretty accurate as 1/2 a season with my 45lb CQR broke the platform in half. Time for something stronger.

The new platform is cut from 3/8" thick type 316 stainless steel. The roller itself is one of the big Windline Marine units with an adjustable roller and is rated for a 45 lb CQR and contains a retaining pin for the anchor when underway. The chocks are huge highly polished stainless steel units from Schaefer Marine -- they can take 1" line with chafe protection. ( they are very highly polished to help limit chafe too )

The platform is triangular shaped with a cutout for the forestay. The chocks are attached with 1/2" flat head bolts countersunk into the underside of the platform.

The platform is throughbolted to the deck with 4 countersunk 1/2" flathead bolts as well as the 4 countersunk 3/8" bolts that bolt through both the roller and the platform. There is a backing plate under the deck for these 8 bolts. Everything is set in either 3M 4200 or 3M 101 -- I don't remember which.

The Windline anchor roller is positioned on the platform so the tip of the anchor clears the stem of the boat as the anchor is being raised with the windlass. The roller adjustment is all the way in because it won't roll freely if it's tightened to the point where tension on the anchor chain won't pull it back anyway. ( i.e. the adjustment is pretty useless - the roller is great otherwise! )

When underway, the anchor is pinned to the roller and the anchor chain is under a small amount of tension to the electric windlass.

The above sideview gives a feel for the thickness of the plate and the position of the roller on the plate ( platform )

This topview gives a feel for how the pieces are bolted together - a 1/2 " bolt both in front of and behind each chock and the four 3/8" bolts that hold the front of the platform to the deck. -- the 1/2" bolts are easier to see in the picture of the chock further down this page.

Another view.

The above shot of the chock with the quater on it gives a feel for the scale of the items involved. That's 3/4" three strand going through that chock. Note, one of the 1/2" bolts is in the 7 o'clock position to the quarter and the forward 1/2" bolt is mostly under the anchor roller at about the 11:30 position.

George Jones
"C&C 40 "Delphinus"