GREYHAWK's engine pull

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

GREYHAWK's engine pull

Post by catamount »

Yesterday my Dad came down to help me pull the engine out of GREYHAWK.

First step was to get it off it's mounts and slide it forward from under the cockpit so that it could be lifted up through the companionway. We built a set of "rails" out of 2x8s on which to slide the engine forward, used a big crowbar to lever the engine up, and a block and tackle to pull it forward on the rails.

My Dad had hade made a roller assembly to support his chain hoist from a beam. So in the fall after building stairs and balcony, I had built a support framework over the companionway, and off the aft quarter of the boat, supported by post made up of 2x4's screwed together and tied into the structure of the boat tent. I made a beam out of two ten-foot 2x8's screwed together which supported the roller and spanned between the supports. This assembly made a gantry crane with which we could lift the engine up through the companionway, slide it across the cockpit with the roller on the beam, and then lower it down to the ground off the side of the boat.

The height above the ground was greater than the fall on the chain hoist, so we needed an extra chain to support the engine while we rigged more chain onto the fall of the chain hoist.

On the ground, we set the engine onto my Dad's special Engine-Moving Dolly -- an old lawnmower deck! It worked great!

The engine is a Yanmar 2QM15G diesel, which weighs in at about 320 pounds. Once it gets started, it runs fine, but it takes quite a bit of cranking to get it started (the colder it is the more cranking it needs) indicating poor compression. I plan to replace it with a re-built 2QM15G that I bought off eBay a couple years ago, but I've got to swap a couple of parts between the two (transmission, exhaust mixing elbow, mounting brackets...) So now the two engines are sitting side by side in my garage (semi-heated) where I can work on them easily.

Tim A.
Last edited by catamount on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

From what i can see, the older guy in the orange jacket is doing all the lifting while the guy I can't see is taking all the pictures. Tell me Tim, is this the way you run a job site? making your dad do all the dirty work? maybe you are the only one who knows how to work the camera. All in fun. I can remember one of my best furniture moving tools is my long skate board, the lawnmower platform is fantastic. good luck on the future change outs, and thanks for the pictures. i have a soft spot for home made cranes and derricks.

robert
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Cool! I'd love to have your dad around when I'm doing projects :D

R.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote:Cool! I'd love to have your dad around when I'm doing projects :D

R.
He didn't have his Dad around while doing a project, his Dad had him around while doing a project. That's even better :)

Its always fun to see how people use a little cleverness to overcome physical challenges.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Nice work!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/