Shields 88 Racing Restoration Update

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
kristian
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Shields 88 Racing Restoration Update

Post by kristian »

Taking a look at Bill's excellent Bolero project reminded me that it's fun to read these pages, especially in the off season!

I've gotten a lot of help here on the forum, so it's only fair that I share what we've done with our boat.

A year ago we bought a Shields in bad shape, with the intention to restore and race it. The last 12 months of work and sailing are on there, from the "we have no bow and this may be a problem" to "went out for a sail and a drink" Getting from there to here has been great fun, and I've learned a lot about boatwork, sailing and putting together a racing crew.

Please take a look at www.shields88.blogspot.com and let me know what you think.

For this coming winter, we've got a couple projects on the schedule.

-our mast was dented at the gooseneck in some wild big-air gybes. The section is big enough, and the damage small enough that it falls into the "probably ok?" category, but for safety's sake, and since next year we're going for Nationals, we're going to replace it. Going to use the blank canvas of a new mast and boom as an opportunity to try out some rigging tricks.
-The keel repairs we made held up great, but now the rest of the bottom looks lousy! I haven't seen it out of the water yet, but it will be somewhere between spot fixes and stripping the bottom and fairing.
-Soft spot on the deck that I think needs to be recored. I'd really like to recore the side decks, from underneath to preserve the nonskid pattern we made. I never noticed the soft area until the boat was in the water a couple weeks, so it seems like we've got new water in the core.
-finally decided on the cove stripe! We're adding a blue cove stripe, which I think will go well with the gray paint.

I'll be back to ask advice on these and other projects.... thanks!
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Kristian,

Thanks for the update on this winters projects. Wow, after all that work you have it in you to dive in some more. It will be fun to follow you rig experimentation. It should all be worth it as you prep for the nationals. It will be fun to have a "local" to route on.

I will of course be following your blog closely.

Cheers, Bill