Cracked frames no problem

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Cracked frames no problem

Post by bcooke »

Hi Tim,

Congratulations on the Lyman. Wooden boat restoration is indeed the height of folly but at least you are showing good taste... and you are in great company!

If you are planning on removing the sidedecks then I imagine the cracked frames should be no problem. I haven't done much wooden boat work myself but I did take a course at WoodenBoat school a couple of years ago and we replaced quite a few. Once you get going it is quite easy.

While I am near the subject I should make a plug for the WoodenBoat school. I have taken a couple of courses with them and love it. Expensive, I know, but you learn from the best talent in the industry. I took my repair course with the lead restorer from Mystic Seaport, a great guy, and we did some impressive (for me) tear down and rebuilding projects. Plus you can sail the Herreschoff (Have no idea if I spelled that right!)and Haven 12 and halfs's every evening and hang out with some interesting people.

Good luck with your projects but don't let them build up so much that none of them get finished!

Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I have to double check the spelling of "Herreshoff" every time I use it. (This is the correct spelling, BTW). I always want to put that "C" in there too.

My projects will all get done...not to worry! I'm really looking forward to working on the Lyman next winter--and maybe some over the summer, though we're planning on using the boat some too, assuming the engine runs well (it should).

Any new prospects on the horizon, boatwise, for you, after that disappointing A-30 debacle? Any further communication with the misguided seller?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I spoke with the seller but I didn't try to convince him of the boat's true worth. That would probably be futile and just hurt the owner's feelings. I got the package from the surveyor this weekend. If one could negotiate a reasonable price the boat would make a great project. I am not sure if the boat was quite as bad as the surveyor said it was but it was definitely not as good as the owner thinks it is either!

It is probably better I didn't see the boat as I would be tempted to save it. It has great potential but it is going to cost more than sweat equity; just about everything is worn out. The state of the boat was amazing. Even the lines were left wrapped around the winches with the bitter ends strewn around the deck; just like it was returned from a hard sail and the skipper just jumped off as the boat touched the dock.

I am really happy with the surveyor's report (brief though it was) so if you ever need one in Michigan let me know. I received lots of pictures if you are interested. I was tempted to post some but I didn't think it was a good use of web space.

I have been in contact with another seller in the Chesapeake region but he is another funny one. He keeps promising me to send information but is just too "busy" to follow through. I am getting tired of chasing him. Another A30 just turned up in Plymouth that I need to pursue. It is a later model with the liner which I really don't prefer but I might be getting too picky.

Thanks for the interest and I will keep you informed. I might be looking for a good local surveyor soon ;-)

Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing a few photos of that A-30, just for grins. Feel free to send them to me and I'll be happy to post. I have more web space than I know what to do with.

Send them to tlackey1@maine.rr.com, if you feel like it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating