Alden Challenger Kittiwake cabin top

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Alden Challenger Kittiwake cabin top

Post by Challenger949L »

I have begun removing the covering of the cabin top on Kittiwake after feeling some soft spots where the edges turn. Most of the top is 1 inch plywood (thicker near the mast). There is a bit of soft/damaged wood along the edges. My plan is to use clear penetrating epoxy in those areas after getting rid of the badly damaged bits and then rebuilding those spots with thickened epoxy. I can still stand/walk on the cabin top with no give, and no damage is visible inside the boat. Anyone had a similar repair? suggestions?
I took off three of the four grabrails this evening and the seahood yesterday.

Jimmy Small
Challenger 949L
Triton 662
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Post by Challenger949L »

This does a better job showing the damage on the left side of the picture.
(old beastial Range Rover in backround)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One reason you're probably seeing the damage at the edges like that is because it's at the edge of the old covering, so water could get in there over time. And plywood end grain is notorious for wicking moisture when exposed.

I think stuff like CPES is OK in certain repair applications (though I think it is a vastly over-used product), and if you can convince yourself that the bulk of the plywood top is sound and in good condition, with only spot areas requiring repair, this might be a reasonable repair technique.

I can't tell much from the photos, but if the damage is truly limited to the small areas in the corner, then you should be able to spot-repair and save the bulk of the cabin top. Just be sure it's all as good as you think.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

That turn at edge of the cabin top is the problem.

Post by Tom Young »

The glass bond to wood fails there first likely due to the sharp turn. I'm with Tim, if you can get it sound and dry, you should be all set. I think the mahogany piece the plywood and cabin sides are attached to, is quite wide so even if some ply has failed at the extreme turn, the bond to the mahogany could still be sound(you could tell if it wasn't)

Even if you have to use some thickened epoxy to shape the radius after removing shallow rot, it should be fine and easy to shape for the new cloth.

I keep a sharp eye on that area for tiny cracks. I had one a few years ago and immediately ground it down and repair it. It's a catch for water.

I believe Alden doubled the plywood in the mast area between the bulkheads for the strains from the rig.