Tim Succumbs to the "Woodie" Temptation

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Tim Succumbs to the "Woodie" Temptation

Post by Tim »

Yup. It's official: I have lost what little remained of my sanity.

Heidi and I are now the proud new owners of a 1960 Lyman 23' Sleeper, a classic clinker-built inboard runabout. The boat is currently in Massachusetts, but I hope to bring it home within the next week or so. The boat is shrink-wrapped now (yuck), so I have no good photos; this one is the fuzzy one I found in the online listing for the boat.

She needs plenty of work, but was in the water and being used last season, so I hope to do more of a "running restoration". I'm not naive enough to pretend that most of the work required is cosmetic, but she boat is in decent shape for what she is. But I can only truly address what needs to be done once the boat is home, as my inspections have been cursory. In any event, she's a long-term project, and the purchase was more one of circumstance than overwhelming need. As usual, what began as a casual search for a Lyman for "eventual"purchase has culiminated in yet one more boat to clutter my yard.

No, my devotions are not being shifted from sail to power, but I think the gorgeous (or potentially so) Lymans with their abundant mahogany, tumblehome, and vintage styling are well suited to anyone who appreciates the beauty of things old and from a bygone era. Obviously working on a wooden boat represents a new direction for me, and I look forward to the challenge.

There you have it. Further proof that I am indeed mentally disturbed. :<)

I'm not planning to devote a ton of time and space to this boat on this forum, but will address any questions and comments from anyone should there be an interest.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Well, boy-howdy!

Mazel Tov!

A thousand blessings on you and your new/old camel!

I eagerly await all the details.

I'll have to check with him, but I'm 90% certain that my father had a 23' Lyman back in the late 70's. I was a bit too young to remember the boat, but his memories are quite fond of it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:I'll have to check with him, but I'm 90% certain that my father had a 23' Lyman back in the late 70's. I was a bit too young to remember the boat, but his memories are quite fond of it.
Hey, if that's the case, then I will be most interested in any and all recollections, impressions, tips, etc--and just to hear about it in general. I'm already prowling all the various online forums, websites, etc. for information and tips. Fortunately, there is excellent enthusiasm and support around for these boats (much like Tritons).

I can hardly wait to get her home. I'm not real patient when it comes to this stuff...

More to come as soon as there's more to report. Will there be a Lyman website? Oh probably, though I don't want to commit either way. But of course I'll document everything anyway, so it seems some sort of site is sure to follow.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I was wondering how long it would be before you spilled your guts about this boat, Tim! The silence had been deafening! (yes folks, this boat has been in the works for a while) ;-)
Tim

Post by Tim »

I wanted to wait until it was official; we only signed papers this past weekend, even though I basically bought the boat back in January.
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Oh my, Tim...

I hope this doesn't put you over the top!

If it does, will you say hello to Chief Bromden and McMurphy for me? Ha!

It is indeed a very pretty boat...

Restoring a classic wooden boat? Priceless. For everything else, there's Mastercard, hehe!

Dave
Tim

Post by Tim »

Dave, 397 wrote:...will you say hello to Chief Bromden and McMurphy for me? Ha!
Hmm...there's a movie I haven't seen for a while! We may have to rent that one again sometime. Good flick. But the closest I'll come to their situation is when I go to my tool bench and pick up my ratchet. (Nurse, that is.)

More soon. Looks like I'm heading down on Thursday to pick her up!
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Lyman

Post by Shark »

Congratulations on the latest addition to the Lackey fleet!

I look forward to watching your progress in this new adventure on the web and sharing it with you, if only vicariously. As a long time subscriber to WoodenBoat magazine I have seen and admired Lyman boats for years
.... maybe it's something about the name.

Best of luck with the new boat.

Lyman
Tim

Post by Tim »

Shark wrote:As a long time subscriber to WoodenBoat magazine I have seen and admired Lyman boats for years
.... maybe it's something about the name.

Best of luck with the new boat.

Lyman
Indeed...gee, if anyone should buy a Lyman, it's you!
Tim

Post by Tim »

She's Home

All is now once again well with the world, as I have collected my new Lyman from Massachusetts.

Here she is in my yard after I pulled off the shrinkwrap--my first real view of the boat. This picture serves as further evidence that pictures do not tell the whole story. She looks considerably less good up close, but isn't too bad all things considered. After all, I wanted a project.

Much more to come soon. I expect to get in for some more exploring today and/or tomorrow.

The yellow paint will not stand. Earlier, I had decided to at least wait on my decision till I saw the whole boat uncovered, but it was pretty clear immediately that the yellow must go. Future color TBD...some research into appropriate colors will occur, but I suspect white is the way to go.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Colour research.

Post by grampianman »

Tim,
She's lovely to look at; best of luck and all that.

While white is always a good colour, what about a navy or royal blue and keep the white stripes? Red anti-fouling and away you go!

Cheers,
Ian