Dodger Project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Dodger Project

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I excerpted this bit from the Winter Worklist 2007 thread for the sake of organization:
David VanDenburgh wrote:
  • Finish constructing/sewing dodger
    Construct new drifter
    Install Dickinson solid fuel heater
A surprisingly short list - for once. There will, I'm sure, be a number of smaller projects to complete in the spring before we set off on a month-long cruise during July.

The dodger frame

David

I've finally resumed work on the dodger. I've cut all of the panels except for the side curtains, and I'm in the process of finishing the windows. It's amazing just how much time this kind of work takes. Once the windows are in and trimmed, I can begin assembling the panels. It will be cool to see this thing take shape.

Here are a few photos of the window measurements and installation.

Since this is my first time with something like this, there's a lot of "intelligent" guesswork involved. I suppose those who've done it a few times are far more confident that it will fit snugly and have all the right parts in all the right places. My biggest concern at this point is whether or not the bottoms of the side windows will be parallel to the cabin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

David
Here's the latest. I added inverted triangular windows to the top panel. These windows will be located on the side of the dodger in the span between the forward and aft bows. The pictures are a sort of step-by-step of the process.

Window measurements with Strataglass cut to size and ready to be sewn on the back side of the panel.
Laying down the outer stitches to secure Strataglass.
Outer stitches in place.
Fabric removed to expose window.
Trimming and rolling edges and corners.
Corners and edges rolled for final row of stitches along inner edge.
Laying down the inner stitches.
One done, one to go.
Inner and outer edges of completed windows.

I'm nearing final panel assembly. I have a few more materials on order from Sailrite, so once those arrive I'll be able to trim out the inside edges of the windows, add reinforcement along the aft edge of the top panel, and sew the panels together. I'm anxious to see it come together.

David
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

David, that's a beautiful job!
I've done two dodgers, one from scratch and the latest a refit with a new frame. I agree ... they are a LOT of work. My first one went through three prototype stages until I got the confidence to attack the expensive pile of material.
The latest only needed one prototype, but I went back after the cover was finished and replaced the frame. The other thing I goofed on was not using Strataglass. Visibility is not as good with the 'cheap' stuff. Come time for glass replacement I'll use the good stuff.
Don Casey's book on upholstery and sail repair was a great guide.

I look forward to seeing more progress pictures.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
David VanDenburgh

Getting there

A major part of the construction is complete. The dodger is now ready for the frame and final fitting on the boat.

I got the top and front panels assembled a couple of days ago, and just this evening I added the trim along the aft edge and installed the rear zippered sleeve.

Here are a few pictures of the fit so far. The dodger fits good and tight between the forward and aft bows. The wrinkles on the sides will (should) disappear when the front panel is tightly attached to the deck and the sides are finished and secured. Moderate tension in the right spots smooths it out nicely. Once the weather cooperates, I'll peel off Ariel's cover and reinstall the frame, fit the dodger, and take some final measurements to determine side curtain size. I have patterns, but I'm rethinking their size.

PS - I'm compelled to say that my wife is one patient, understanding woman. I have trashed the living room and dining room, which by itself isn't so bad; it's navigating the mess with an 18-month-old and a four-year-old. I'm one lucky dude.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That looks really nice, David.

Dodgers don't seem all that large onboard; amazing to see that they're almost as big as a couch!

R.
David VanDenburgh

On the boat

I pulled the cover off the boat today and installed the dodger so I could begin working on the attachment points - and redo the patterns for the side panels. I need to sort out just how best to attach the front panel. Mobile Marine Canvas's installation on Iota is slick stuff, so I think I'll try something similar for at least the center section of the front panel. We'll see. I'm stilling mulling things over.

Here are a few more pictures - much like the earlier shots I posted, but this time on the boat! I must be getting closer.

David
David VanDenburgh

Dodger Done

Just wrapped up the final details of my dodger project and installed it this evening. It feels good to have it done.

A few pictures, of course:

David

PS - Yes, new sail covers are next.
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

question

Post by vindo40 »

David
What kind of boat do you have ?
David VanDenburgh

Re: question

vindo40 wrote:David
What kind of boat do you have ?
She's a '79 Cape Dory 36.
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by vindo40 »

Beautiful boat David....
Congratulations !!!
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

There is a CD36 at the marina we sail out of...just loaded with cruising gear.

Anyone interested I will point you to it.

Great boat.

Alberg hull????
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David VanDenburgh

Ric in Richmond wrote:Alberg hull????
Yep.

Cape Dory closed down in the late 80s, but Robinhood Marine bought the molds and is still manufacturing the CD36 under the name Robinhood 36.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Looks great! Dodgers are not all equal, there are a lot of loose, wrinkled sloppy ones out there. What material are the companionway flap and trim at the aft hoop?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
David VanDenburgh

Hirilondë wrote:Looks great! Dodgers are not all equal, there are a lot of loose, wrinkled sloppy ones out there. What material are the companionway flap and trim at the aft hoop?
Thanks. I'm still not satisfied with the wrinkles above the grabrails; I might try to pull them out.

The material along the leading edge is Stamoid and the material along the rear bow is another marine vinyl - with a name I can't recall [edit: it's Nautolex] - that I picked up at a local marine store. All of the other material came from Sailrite.

David