New Floor and Table w/Logo's

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

New Floor and Table w/Logo's

Post by Columbia34 »

Were are in the process of building a new floor and table for our Columbia 34. Were are almost done with the floor just putting the varnish on. The table is almost done. Here are some pictures.

Table-
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

Wow!!!!!!!
Al Lorman
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Awesome .... beautiful workmanship!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

That looks fabulous!! Very, very beautiful! How is the plywood joined to the boat? Are there beams that run over the bilge? Are the circles for table stancion bases or something else? I am contemplating starting this job in the not too distant future.

Joe
Tony G
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Tony G »

Very nice personal touch. I can't wait to see the table. Did you 'machine' the insert yourself? If so is there a technique we should know about or is it a tool we souldn't live without?
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

This if for the cockpit the center circle is for the edson steering and the rear circle goes around the emergency tiller. I will post some more pictures but in the one picture where just the border slats are installed you can see the 18 stainless steel washers. I used a forsner bit to recess the washers flush with the plywood, then once the center slats were installed and before i filled the gaps with the black epoxy, i cut the heads of some 1/4-20 stainless steel bots so they we 1/4" wide and fit perfect between the slats and went through the fender washers below. then filled the gaps to lock the bolts in and cover them up. this way i can build the floor 100% at home and then bolt into the boat with some sealant. We cut the Columbia with did with a scroll saw, and the Amorita i freehanded with a 1/8" router bit, in a porter cable router. The key is the clear stick on paper, I made all my designs in Autocad and then printed them fullsize which was a big help. The Amorita is just a font style, but the columbia had to be traced in CAD.

Scott
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Those are the touches that turn a boat into a yacht. Great job.
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Columbia34 wrote:Were are in the process of building a new floor and table for our Columbia 34.
You mean a new sole? (couldn't resist and had to beat Rachel)

The results look great! I really like the hold down screws method. The lack of bungs makes for a really clean finish. I look forward to the "after" pictures.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Hirilondë wrote:
Columbia34 wrote:Were are in the process of building a new floor and table for our Columbia 34.
You mean a new sole? (couldn't resist and had to beat Rachel)
rofl- she emailed me yesterday to tell me she was biting her tongue.

It is very work by the way. Looks VERY professional.

I sure hope it's oiled rather than varnished though.
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

Sorry...I am building a new SOLE for our boat...wow, Its being varnished, we are in the great lakes so out boat is in the barn for 6mo out of the year and the other 6mo its under dodger/bimini, the varnish does not take the much work, and looks great.

Scott
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I have a quart of Epifanes Rubbed Effect interior varnish and thinner which I plan to use to touch up the interior of my boat. I am considering doing the sole as well as it could really use a cot. I am a little worried it may make it too slippery. What type of varnish are you using?
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hee hee. Thanks Hirilonde!

The thing is, the sole is so fabulous, that I couldn't bear to rain on the parade. Wow.

At first I thought it was a cabin sole, but now I understand that it's a cockpit sole (right?). Are you using something like "Ultimate Sole" varnish to keep it from being too slippery? (I'm not sure that's rated for outdoor use, actually.)

I mention this because I once helped a guy flake a sail on a varnished teak foredeck (it was a flush decked boat, which only made things worse) and it was like being on a scary skating rink. Perhaps I missed that you have - or will have - some non-skid in the varnish, in which case --- nevermind!

Rachel
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

Yes this is exterior and we are using flagship varnish 2015, in the last coat we will add some clear non-skid beads to the mix, if you do it in everycoat it will make the finish foggy even if the company selling says it won't. with the last coat with non-skid its still a nice clear smooth finish, and with a good pair of sailing shoes the footing is great. We don't have a teak deck, and if we did I would not varnish it, I like to swim on my own terms only.

Scott
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

hebert01
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

Scott- Great job!

I've been hesitant to try nonskid additives in traditional varnish, as I wasn't sure how it'd last over time. Have you given this a shot already, and did it hold up OK? I'm thinking of adding nonskid to the horizontal bench surfaces on my Ensign...it can get pretty slippery sometimes.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I have-

I taped off some steps on a boat I built and loaded the area with sand- model railroad ballast sand in fact. That was four years ago and the owner is still quite happy with his non skid steps into the cabin.

I used Z-Spar 2015, which is my varnish of choice in our sun, inside and outside

I also have sand (sprinkled) in clear polyurethane on the steps on the captains ladder going to our loft bedroom here at the house- THAT is 12 years old and still in very good shape.
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

yeah the non-skid bead works good, the above poster has used sand as well. Try test piece and see what you think, see what looks and works best for you.

Scott