An Unusual Floating Dock

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

An Unusual Floating Dock

Post by Bluenose »

There are two Bolero related projects that I want to get done this year. One is a portable shelter for winter storage which will happen this summer. The other is a floating dock. I co-own my mooring with a friend so we have been planning to make a float so he could tie up his new Cape Dory Typhoon next to Bolero (We are planning a great summer of sailing).

We had plotted and planned for a while about how to make a float without all the expensive bits and pieces. Through some combination of caffeine and insanity we decided that we should convert on old derelict power boat that had made its way to his yard to die.

Today we decide to start the project by cutting away the parts we knew we didn't need.

Craig started out with the sawzall while I tried to keep ahead of him by removing the interior.

One of Craig's friends wanted the cabintop for his own project so we cut it out separately.

With the rest of the deck removed and much of the interior gone the boat was getting a lot less skanky. I found the for sale sign buried deep in the bow and I wondered if it came standard with every new purchase.

We had to hurry to try and get the rest of the interior out before dark.

Here is where we left off. It really looked much better than in the photos. It was just too dark for the flash on my camera.

Our next step is to remove the old bits of trailer and prop up and level the hull. Then a good cleaning.

We have a rough idea of where we are headed but we need some details to go with them. So we figure a couple more planning sessions over coffee.
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

The float on the mooring is a great idea and much to the chagrin of the harbor master of the river that I moore 466 I have in the past put a 4' X 30' float on the mooring and then tied my boat to the float. It is a fantastic arrangement for the mooring bound as it makes depature and returns much easier for the single handed - especiall because my harbor has a bow and stern mooring arrangement and is very congested. The float also allows for dock box storage, fresh water tank storage and another nice platform to work from while working on the boat. Last summer I was without a float but I hope to have another this upcomming summer.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I can't believe you're cutting apart that gorgeous powerboat.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Tim wrote:I can't believe you're cutting apart that gorgeous powerboat.
Really: some people have no respect for classic plastic . . .
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

there must be some wacko mojo in that nor west coast beano. you are telling me there was only coffee at those "planning sessions"? HA! You guys had a couple of shots of daysailor rum!! Now the question is, when are you spraying the high build primer onto that lovely prepared surface?

looks like a blast, guys.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

there must be some wacko mojo in that nor west coast beano. you are telling me there was only coffee at those "planning sessions"? HA! You guys had a couple of shots of daysailor rum!! Now the question is, when are you spraying the high build primer onto that lovely prepared surface?

looks like a blast, guys.
No, I don't think so. It's always been coffee in the morning Guinness in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure... O Hell, I don't know. It was some dark colored beverage that keeps you warm during the Northwest winters.

But I know I ain't never had me no taste of that "Daysailor" rum. I here that stuff will give a good dose of the crazies.
Tim wrote:
I can't believe you're cutting apart that gorgeous powerboat.

Really: some people have no respect for classic plastic . . .
I did feel a little bad as I was stripping off the "chromed" plastic and pulling the skanky liner of off the hull.

I guess she could have been a beauty with a little TLC.

The is probably a special place in purgatory for classic plastic abusers.
triton #227
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by triton #227 »

The fist practical use of a powerboat I've seen!!!!!!!
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

How's this project coming along? Any more photos?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

#218 wrote:How's this project coming along? Any more photos?
Jason,

Funny you should bring this up. I was just over at my co-conspirator's and we were discussing this crazy project. It seems that in the light of the day this idea isn't going to save us much over making a conventional floating dock and both of our schedules are pushing us in other directions. So... this project is likely headed for the chainsaw.

Maybe a brief moment of silence for the dearly departed...
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Aw...

Still have the trailer? Build a portable flower garden! (Grin)
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/