Vega Port Lites

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Vega Port Lites

Post by Peter »

My next project is to install a pair of forward facing port lites (a la Triton) but keep the original Vega style and appearance. The new lites will be identical in size to those in the forward cabin.

The Vega lites are held in with a two piece rubber weatherstrip / locking strip combination.

I know this is not offshore quality construction, but it has worked well on most Vegas for almost 40 years.

Most of the Vegas I've heard about that went offshore were converted to an all-metal window frame bolted to the cabin sides. I believe "Berserk", the Vega that cruised from Scandinavia to the Antarctic, had stock windows and suffered a blow-out in a storm in the South Atlantic with almost disastrous consequences.

But for coastal cruising I'm happy with the status quo.

Mockup of placement, exterior:

Mockup of placement, interior:

(The size of the cut-out hole is smaller than the inside line on the mockups.)

These lites will give me good forward visibility while behind the dodger, or down below in the main cabin.

The original lites are made from 1/4" tempered glass. As the forward face of the cabin has a curve to it I'm going to use 1/4" Lexan, and give it a slight bend. The finished height of these lites is less than 3", so the Lexan should be sufficiently strong.

I guess why I'm posting this is that I secretly hope someone will point out a major flaw in my design before I get out the jigsaw and do irreparable damage!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote:I guess why I'm posting this is that I secretly hope someone will point out a major flaw in my design before I get out the jigsaw and do irreparable damage!
Nope. Go for it! And kudos for accepting and acknowledging the coastal-cruising nature of your boat and your plans for her. Clearly, the existing port installation is more than adequate for these needs, and should work well for your new ports.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Peter - may I ask what you used to make the cross section illustration?
Very nice. Portlights and location look great, by the way.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

Sorry. Looks good to me too. Break out the saw...
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Actually, we want to learn the flaws from your mistakes!

Realy though. Sounds good to to me.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

I have found that the sight lines through these forward ports can be very different when heeled over. Your head positions changes and often all you can see is sky or water. As far as the inboard outboard placement of the ports i would want to see under the foot of the head sail to leeward for approaching traffic from the helm station behind the dodger when beating into the wind. I do not know if placing them further apart would improve any thing or if the views are good while heeled. You can careen the vessel by taking your main halyard a couple of slips over and winch her down to a decent heel.

just a thought

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Peter

Post by Peter »

Mike wrote:Peter - may I ask what you used to make the cross section illustration?
I pinched that off StanPro's Website
They have nice sections of all their weatherstrips.

My CAD program of choice is AutoCad, as I used to make a living using AutoCad Map in surveying and engineering work. I dropped out of the work world around release 6, in 2003. I imagine it keeps growing every few months, like it did when I was working .... certainly a versatile program.
Robert The Gray wrote:I have found that the sight lines through these forward ports can be very different when heeled over.
Good point, and one I did not consider. I'll heel her over and try to see how effective the lites will be.

But I think there's no stopping now .... time to break out the saw :-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Wow...that old Homelite looks just like one my Dad had when I was growing up!

One interesting thing I've noticed about the forward-facing ports on Tritons is that the view tends to appear magnified because of the angle of the glass. So looking forward is like having a very large pair of binoculars--pretty interesting.

Any view you get is more view than you've had before; the precise quality of that view isn't that important. Those ports are more about light in the cabin than anything.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tim wrote:Wow...that old Homelite looks just like one my Dad had when I was growing up!
It was part of my father-in-law's estate. We both bought one at the same time, 1972, when we bought adjoining properties to build on. I still have mine, but have sold his.

In town today I managed to pick up all the pieces needed to install the lites, except ... the locking strip with the 'chrome' accent. I can buy a 50' roll at the wholesalers, but haven't yet found a local shop with a six foot scrap.
Ah, the chase is half the fun!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Peter,

I thought I remembered you referencing a different window gasket that they used on Series III Vegas (in some other thread), that guided the glass to overlap the opening, for a bit more seaworthiness. If I remember correctly it was also hard to find or get.

Well, I just ran across a coach glass place while I was looking for something else and I saw a molding that made me think of that, and I thought I'd post it in case it might be the one.

I can't get an image from it to post here, but I was looking at the "M-30" in the bottom/left corner of the page. I know you're probably not planning to run out and change your windows in any case, but I just can't help keeping an eye out for mystery parts :)

http://www.coachglass.com/downloads/Gasket_Guide.pdf

Rachel
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh ... Ah ... just what I was looking for ... thanks Rachel!
I'll have to investigate this website further. I haven't done the forward-facing ports project yet. Other things needed doing first. But it's still on my mind. I like the overlapping idea, as it gives the window something to bear against if impacted from the outside.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Hey Peter, I sent someone here who is recently bought a Vega. Although I had never looked at this thread, I knew it existed. My friend reported back to me that the pictures are all red x's. Any chance you can refresh them for a fellow Vegan?

Oops, I see I put this at the end of the wrong thread but I think you get my gist.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Peter

Post by Peter »

Balance:
I'll check the thread and see what I can do.
Meanwhile, this linkhas lots of pictures of my Vega.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

That works Peter! Thanks.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32