Plywood Dingy

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Plywood Dingy

Post by Triton 53 »

I am thinking about building a plywood dingy/pram this winter when its gets to cold to work on the real boat. I have seen a lot of plans on-line, so my question is: Has anybody build one of these boats or is there a better place to get plans? I am thinking of using it to get to my mooring & maybe as a tow behind. The ones I was looking at are in the 8' range.

Pete
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Both Charlie and I have built multiple dinghies by http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/ . I will speak for myself only and say I am very impressed with my Spindrift 9 and my friend I built a Minipaw for is also. The plans and descriptions are excellent. You can call or e-mail Graham when needed and get timely replies. You can join another forum http://www.messing-about.com/forums/ , and discuss your project with others who have already or are building them as well. And then you can post lots of pictures here as well for all to enjoy!!!!

This is the one I built for me, and I tow it cruising.

Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I have built and am a big fan of the nutshell prams.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I'm presently building aCLC Eastport Pram, 7' 9" overall. I looked through many designs, and finally chose this one, partly because it got a favorable review in Good Old Boat Magazine. One thing I wanted was a dinghy that sailed well. This helped narrow the choice.

Construction is by "Stitch and Glue" method, and the finished product should weigh less than my present smaller pram. I bought plans only, not the kit, as shipping costs to the Left Coast would be quite high.

There are some pictures of progress so far here.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

Thanks for the help on picking a dingy.

I think I am going to chose the the Spin Drift 9n because of the nesting. I will only have to carry 1/2 from my car to the water at a time.

Peter: you have very good pictures on your site. I am going to bookmark it so I can look at to see how some things are done.

Once again, Thanks!

Pete
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

Hi Pete,
FWIW, I have built both a 71/2' Nutshell and the 11N Spindrift. Both are great boats. The 11N is a real load carrier and a hoot to sail. It really works for my growing family BUT I do not find that I use the nesting function very often since it is a bit of a chore. The Nutshell is great for two (or four when the kids were real small) and is easy to move/carry. It rows great. One piece may be worth considering depending on the situation.
Sorry to muddy the water.
Best regards,
David