Details I Like

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Details I Like

Post by Tim »

Though it may not seem it to those of you who follow my lack of recent Daysailor progress, rarely is there a time that I do not ponder my next steps and the overall look and execution of the vision in my head.

This is the best picture I have found to illustrate (in general, at least) my favored deck/cuddy/coaming design for the Daysailor.

The boat is a Bridges Point 24, of course, but with the rarely-seen small wooden cuddy instead of the molded fiberglass trunk. The coaming sweeping forward into and integrating with the cuddy trunk is exactly what I want to do. I'm as yet undecided whether I will bring the two sides to a blunt point, as shown here, or whether I will try to create a smooth curve around the forward end.

The other detail I like is that cream color on the spars. And more and more I think that classic white for the hull could be the way to go. Not sure yet.

This is sweet. I should hope to come even close to emulating this look with my version.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

The cockpit...

Post by David »

Tim,

Curious what you are planning for the cockpit. Will it be enclosed and self bailing?
Tim

Post by Tim »

David,

I'm not sure what you mean by enclosed, but the cockpit will definitely be self-bailing--hopefully with outlets above the waterline.
David

Post by David »

Worded poorly, but that's what I meant. When I think of daysailors, a fully open cockpit, like a lightning's cockpit, comes to mind. Are you planning a cuddy cabin of some sort also?

David
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I love the notion of integrating the coamings and the coach sides.

Bringing the sides together pointy-style, in my opinion, is one of those things that looks better on paper than it does in practice. Even a fairly blunt point, like the Bridges Point, needs a more generous foredeck than a <30' boat can provide in order to feel right. Plus, it always looks like it's the most beat-up edge on the boat after a few seasons.

The smooth-curve approach carries a somewhat stodgy stigma, I think due to the fact that it's traditionally used on large catboats and others of the ilk. Still, I think I favor it for the Triton Daysailor design. Somehow, it's just a more seamanlike detail.

That's a big stick to steam, but I have faith. ;)

I think that buff-colored spars are absolutely the way to go. I'm not sure why I would ever need to paint mine, but that's the direction I'll go when the day comes.
Tim

Post by Tim »

David wrote:Are you planning a cuddy cabin of some sort also?
Whatever cabin there ends up being is entirerly dependent on what room is left over when the deck and cockpit has been constructed. This boat is to be all about the exterior: sailing functionality and pleasing aesthetics come WAY first, but there will assuredly be room for a basic cuddy cabin for storage, kids, etc. Whatever ends up being inside will be nicely finished, but basic in nature.

You can revisit my basic concept sketches here, to give you an idea how much potential space there will be forward of the cockpit.

Here are the most basic specifications that drive the ultimate design and construction:
1. Large, comfortable, and functional self-bailing cockpit
2. Cockpit and small cuddy cabin smoothly integrated of varnished wood
3. Clean, open deck spaces with lots of varnished wood and no unnecessary hardware
4. Engine room access beneath cockpit, most likely. Details TBA.
5. Deck construction of laminated mahogany beams with Meranti plywood sheathing (above a first layer of cosmetic beadboard facing down into cabin), with fiberglass overlay set in epoxy
6. Herreshoff interior appointments--painted panels and varnished trim, with exposed deck beams and beadboard overhead

Cruising sailors and weekenders need not apply. This is to be a boat intended for the pure enjoyment of sailing. There will be a discreet location intended for a Porta-Pottie.

To go any further than these basics at this point would be putting the cart before the horse. Too many of the final decisions remain unknown, as only once I begin building will the true relationship of spaces become evident. But these conceptual ideas are what I hope, and intend, to acheive.