Bristol 27

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Lloyd
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

Hi all.
Hauling out.JPG
This is my Bristol 27 coming out of the water the day I bought her waaaaaaaaay back in 2002. Not alot has been done to her since then other than stripping her down, until here lately. I finally started working on putting her back together. I'll have more on that later after I get this posting stuff figured out.

I am a new member here although I found Tim's Glissando site back in 2002 and have been lurking here ever since. I guess I need to thank Tim for infecting me with this boat restoration bug. His Glissando site was a wonderful thing to find back then and I have learned a lot from it and this forum. I would like to thank all of you that post here for allowing me to follow along, thus keeping my interest in my project going
Last edited by Lloyd on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Welcome Lloyd!

The Bristol 27 is quite a boat. It looks like yours came from Louisiana - where did you buy her from? Are you keeping her on the MS. Gulf Coast?

I look forward to hearing more about the boat and, of course, seeing more photos.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Welcome to the forum, Lloyd. I look forward to hearing more about your boat (and if you've been lurking, you know we all love photos).

Rachel
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks for the welcome Jason and Rachel.

Actualy I bought it from a fellow In Pass Christian Ms. He had gotten it from the Boy Scouts in Louisiana in 1999. And no I had it hauled up to my farm in central Ms.
May 23, 2002, delivered to farm.JPG
The boat was a mess.
Bristol, as found.JPG
Bristol, Interior as bought.JPG
The owner told me a can of starter fluid had leaked in the boat (forepeak) and somehow was ignited causing a small explosion which lifted the foredeck, blew the forward hatch off and pushed the forward bulkheads back.
Bristol, Deck Damage.JPG
So over a long period of time I unbolted the hull deck joint, cleaned it out and put back toghter with 5200 rebolting it.
Starboard Forward, cleaning hull-deck joint.JPG
Starboard Aft, cleaning hull-deck joint.JPG
I am in the process of taking the bulkheads out and replaceing them.
Last edited by Lloyd on Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

A "small" explosion!?!
yowza.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Whoa!

(As the doctors gather 'round the patient with the very amazing medical problem...)

I hope you'll continue to post updates.

R.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Just an update about the little bit I got done in the past week or so.
Working on epoxying in balsa core. I managed to get a few more pieces epoxyed in.
Balsa recore 5.jpg
Balsa recore 2.jpg
Slowly crawling along.
Last edited by Lloyd on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Re: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

I am finally getting around to putting in new main bulkheads. I tabbed in the first one with 4" and 6" wide pieces of biaxial cloth. How many layers do I need to put on?
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

What weight of cloth are you (or did you) using?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

It's 17 oz. w/ 3/4 oz. mat backing.

Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I have been busy this past month and managed to get some work done on the boat.
Built a new mast beam and put it in.
Copy of mast beam.jpg
Copy of mast beam cutout.jpg
Also managed to rip out the starboard bulkheads and clean up the area.
old bulkhead star 1.jpg
old bulkhead star 1.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 56702 times
star bulkhead area 1.jpg
star bulkhead area 1.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 56711 times
Then made new ones and got them in.
new bulkhead for star 1.jpg
new bulkhead for star 1.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 56706 times
tabbing bulkhead star for 1.jpg
tabbing bulkhead star for 1.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 56703 times
I have installed both 1/2" and 3/4" bulkheads on both sides of the boat. Still working on getting all the tabbing on them and the tabbing done on the mast beam.
Moving along verrrrrrrrrrry slowly but still moving along.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

A little more work done this past month.
The floor pan is made in two pieces. The main cabin area is one and the v-berth/head area is another. They come together at the 1/2" bulkhead between the main cabin and the head area. They are not joined together in any way with a 1/8" to 1/4" space between them. Underneath there is nothing holding them up.
floor beam space 2.jpg
floor beam space 2.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 56601 times
So I built a small floor beam to go under the area where they meet.
floor beam1.jpg
floor beam1.jpg (21.18 KiB) Viewed 56602 times
floor beam 5.jpg
floor beam 5.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 56598 times
I have it pushed in place only (it is very hard to reach through the acess holes in the floor, fore and aft of it, and reach it) and it seems to hold the floor up nicely. I will try to put a fillet on each side of the beam to hold it in place.

I also got four new knee blocks cut out (not yet installed).
Knee blocks 1.jpg
Knee blocks 1.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 56593 times
This morning I managed to get some work done on the starboard settee locker openings and bracing under the front of it. No pictures yet.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Pictures of yesterdays work.
Settee Port Framing.jpg
A little framing under the front of the port settee getting it ready for a face.
Settee Port w Lids.jpg
And the tops of the lockers in place.
Today I cut out a couple of dividers to go under the settee to make three compartments.
I moved on to the v-berth area.
V Berth 3.jpg
After cleaning out all the junk I, checked out the water tank under the forward part of the v-berth.
Water Tank 1.jpg
Sticking the camera in the opening in the plywood for the fill fitting for the tank and taking a picture I could see that the tank had dropped down. It was suppose to be up against those blocks with the vees in them. So I got the saw out and cut an area out of the v-berth so I could get the tank out. Once it was out I could see that tabbing had come loose which had let the tank drop.
V Berth 4.jpg
I cleaned up the tank which looks like I will be able to reuse, once I figure out how to remount it back in the hole.
Bristol Water Tank 2.jpg
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

This is how the v-berth looked before I took out the little step/seat and the faces of it.
V Berth 1.jpg
And this is looking aft from inside/underneath the v-berth. Notice on each side lead weights glassed in place.
Lead weights 5.jpg
I cut out the lead weights and moved them around trying to find a better place for them. I weighed them while I had them loose- 62, 65.5, 68 and 72 lbs apiece.
Lead weights 1.jpg
This would have been a nicer way to put them but they went to far forward and were in the way of the water tank. I think I will leave two like this and put the other two up and out from the first two against the hull with a small floor under the first two. That way there will be a passage space under them for bilge water from the chain locker. We will see.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Here is the small floor I put in for the lead weights.
Lead Weight Base 1.jpg
And some blocking to hold them levelish.
Lead Weight Blocking.jpg
Then lower two glassed in.
Glassed In Lower Lead Weights 1.jpg
And all four glassed in.
Glassed In 4 Lead Weights 3.jpg
That picture also shows the aft framing to hold the plywood for the water tank. This one is the forward framing.
Forward Framing 1.jpg
I am thinking one more set of framing to hold up the 1/2 plywood base.

I do have a question about a holding tank. How big? There are two places I can put it. One is behind the head up high and the other is under the aft end of the v-berth, port side. I will be building the tank to fit the space but need an idea on size.

Thanks
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Lloyd wrote: I do have a question about a holding tank. How big? ... I will be building the tank to fit the space but need an idea on size.
If you are asking "how big is a good size to have" (I'm not sure if you are asking that or if you are asking specifically what will fit on a Bristol 27), then I would ask how you plan to use the boat.

I've been on boats with tiny holding tanks and huge ones, both of which suit the purposes intended.

Intermingled is what else you would be using the same space for (this also points to how you plan to use the boat).

So, can you tell us more about your use/situation?

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I can't imagine having a holding tank that is too big unless it doesn't fit.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Use will be weekending along the Ms gulf coast with hopefully some week long times. Single handing most of the time but hopefully two adults and one child sometimes. I have no clue about pumpout locations there so pumpout times are unknown. I am planning not to have any overboard discharge of waste just pumpout if I can locate handy pumpout locations.

I just need some kind of ball park figure of gallons to start to work with for this size boat and number of people. I have no history of using a holding tank so no idea of how much waste to plan for.

Is it a bad idea not to have any overboard discharge for backup?
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

You might look into a composting toilet. I have no practical experience with them but I like the idea of no holding tank and no thru hulls. You do have to put a vent pipe through the deck, which I am not entirely happy about, but I am going to get one next spring, since I don't like the porta potty that I have for emergency use only right now.

www.natureshead.net

www.airheadtoilet.com
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

More pictures to catch things up.
I got the third set of bracing in for the water tank and a little tabbing on each one of them.
Water tank bracing.jpg
Then cut some plywood for the water tank to sit on. The plywood to port was cut out of one of the old bulkheads I took out.
Water Tank Plywood 2.jpg
Also cut a bulkhead for the aft end of the water tank space. It will only be screwed in place.
Water Tank Aft Bulkhead.jpg
I got the bilgecoat paint out and painted out the area.
Bilgecoat Painted Water Tank Area.jpg
Also while painting, I painted under both the port and starboard settees.
Bilgecoat Painted Settee Locker Star 2.jpg
So while waiting on paint to dry, I started working on a poobox.
Poo box 1.jpg
It will take up the space behind the head, fit to the hull. It will be a plywood box, glassed over inside and out. The back side of it is curved to fit the hull. The top of the box will bump up to the bottom of the chainplate knee (not yet installed). I left a space between the box and the forward bulkhead for piping going up and down. Rough figuring it comes out to hold about sixteen gallons, give or take.

Next on the list of things to do. Screw down the water tank plywood bottom and the aft water tank bulkhead. Set in the tank and fit bracing to hold it down in place. Paint out the area then reinstall the v-berth plywood (water tank opening top) and close it up. Also tab in the aft lower chainplate knees (port and starboard) so I can continue fitting in the poobox. Figure out the plumbing for the head. There are to many ways to do the plumbing but I think I have it worked out to be as simple as I can get it. We will see.

Crawling along.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Lloyd wrote:Is it a bad idea not to have any overboard discharge for backup?
I think it is. You should be able to pump directly overboard through an underwater through-hull fitting/seacock. If you ever take your boat offshore, you'll be glad you did this.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I agree with Jay- plumb in a discharge and someday you will be very glad you have it. A clean-out hatch on top of the holding tank is also helpful- mine is 6" and I wish I could say I never had to open it.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I totally agree with those saying that the over board option is most desirable if not necessary.

Some info to help you decide on tank size. Most manual heads require close to a gallon to flush really well and assure all gets through the plumbing to the tank or where ever it ends up. So figure out for your self the variables to the formula (1gal) X (#people) X (# of flushes per day) X (days without discharge or pump out) = tank size. The answer for the desired tank size is positively humongous!!!!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Lloyd wrote:It will take up the space behind the head, fit to the hull. It will be a plywood box, glassed over inside and out. The back side of it is curved to fit the hull. The top of the box will bump up to the bottom of the chainplate knee (not yet installed). I left a space between the box and the forward bulkhead for piping going up and down. Rough figuring it comes out to hold about sixteen gallons, give or take.
I did the same curved-to-hull thing with my holding tank. In retrospect, it truly is not worth the effort. Two or three facets to roughly approximate the curve of the hull is adequate to take advantage of the extra volume, anything beyond that falls into the "98% more effort for 2% advantage" category.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

A little more work done in the last few weeks.
I set the water tank in place after letting the paint in the area dry.
5.jpg
Then I got the plywood filler pieces cut and set in place.
7.jpg
I got both port and starboard aft chain plate knees epoxyed in place. Tabbing yet to be done.
Port Knee 1.jpg
I started to put a small floor in the chainlocker but when I went to screw a cleat into the bulkhead found it to be in bad shape. So out it came.
4.jpg
I then made a pattern for a new bulkhead and figured out it wouldn't go in in one piece.
6.jpg
So it was put in in two pieces.
8.jpg
Since the picture was taken the tabbing on the chain locker bulkhead has been added. Two layers of biaxial, one 6" and one 4". The tabbing on the two chain plate knees has also been added. Same two layers.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

She is certainly coming along nicely. Nice work
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

OK, I'am a little lazy. Winter is for laying on the couch and watching TV. But now it's Spring, I guess it's time to work on the boat some.Old head thru-hulls, in and out. The out valve has already been taken out.
006.JPG
Grind beveled holes, inside and out.
059.JPG
Cut out cloth for the inside and outside, first round 4-5 layers each.
062.JPG
Epoxied in place, outside, then sanded.
064.JPG
And looking at it from the inside before the inside pieces are epoxied in.
061.JPG
I also got the forward, port, chainplate knee epoxied in place with fillets.
060.JPG
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Inside pieces epoxied in place. Four layers, biggest to smallest.
001.JPG
And second round of inside pieces. Two layers, smallest to biggest.
002.JPG
Then I sanded them both smooth.
The outside got three more layers and then sanded smooth. (No pictures)

And this is how I held the outside pieces in place. A piece of plastic, foam, plywood and sticks to hold it all up in place.
004.JPG
As always small steps, but steps none the less.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Still working on her.
I got the patches painted.
100_1959.JPG
And while I had the paint out I hit the anchor locker, and I ran out of paint. This is the second time I have painted in the anchor locker. I just can not seem to reach into it and be able to get to much of it with out leaning on wet paint. So I am doing it in stages. Left to get to is the top and the forward side of the bulkhead.
100_1961.JPG
I also primed and painted several misc. pieces (storage area floors, dividers and lids).
100_1975.JPG
I cut out two cleats and epoxied them into place above the v-berth shelves, port and starboard, to hold a plywood face on the shelves.
100_1962.JPG
100_1963.JPG
I think I have the all the v-berth area sanded and ready to be primed and painted.
100_1965.JPG
I have a little more done and I will post somemore pictures another day. Bed time now.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

Nicely done, I've just discovered your project. What are you using for a sander?
Steve
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

For the heavy sanding/grinding I had an old Sears 7" grinder using coarse sanding discs (it just had it's back end bearning go out and ate up the brushes also). For the finer sanding I have a small Porter Cable 5" sander. I go through a lot of discs with it, but it gets the job done.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

OK a few more things I got done.
I got the three panels cut out and fit into place for under the v-berth. I still have to decide on the size of the openings in them. They will all have openings with some kind of cabinet doors on them.
100_1958.JPG
I started varnishing on the forward side of the v-berth bulkheads (port and starboard) so I can then start priming and painting in the v-berth area. I figure it will be easer to clean paint off varnish then unpainted wood that will be varnished.
100_1968.JPG
I added some fairing epoxy to the underside of the aft hatch where I had filled in an old vent hole in it. Getting it ready for painting.
100_1972.JPG
Both of the cockpit locker lids had some pin holes on the underside of them into the core. It would get mold in them. So I coated them with clear epoxy to try to seal them up after I sanded them.
100_1973.JPG
I got a coat of primer on the outside of the poo box, poo box lid and the underside of the aft hatch.
100_1979.JPG
100_1980.JPG
And the last picture is where I am getting the other bulkheads taped out, getting them ready for varnish.
100_1976.JPG
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

Post by ghostwriter247 »

everything is looking wonderful! what are you using for plywood?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I had been putting it off for years, but about a year ago I broke down and ordered nine sheets of Meranti BS 1088 out of Florida and had it shipped. I got 4 sheets of 3/4", 3 sheets of 1/2" and 2 sheets of 1/4" for $941.25 including shipping. I had it shipped to a business for a cheeper shipping cost. The two 3/4" bulkheads I thought would have to be cut out of two sheets but they actualy only needed one.

An update on work done, painting and varnishing. Not much to show in pictures, just just more coats of white on misc. small pieces and varnish on the bulkheads.

Heading down there now to cut out the faces for the v-berth shelves and the faces of the two settees.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

All the face plywood is 1/2" birch from Home Depot.

I got the face plywood for the v-berth shelves and the settees (port and starboard) cut out, fitted, sanded and the first coat of varnish on them. The faces will be varnished and the backsides will be primed and painted white. No pictures the camera was dead today.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I got rained out this afternoon at work so I worked on the boat.
A coat of primer in most of the v-berth area.
100_1990.JPG
100_1991.JPG
And a second coat of varnish on the settee faces and the v-berth shelf faces.
100_1993.JPG
Also the fifth coat of varnish on the bulkheads.
100_1987.JPG
Hanging locker area.
100_1988.JPG
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Pretty work!

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks. Still a long way to go.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

I was curious why you put the extra ballast back in? I had read that about three hundred lbs helps bristols hobby horse a bit less in that position on bristol owners. had you read anything else on it or have another source? Id be interested to hear how she sails once she is in the water.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I was just moving the extra lead to a better place in the storage area under the v-berth. I was taking the drawers out so as to open up the area for more storage. The way the lead was placed in there just messed up the area. I have no knowledge of how it affects the trim of the boat. As for seeing how she sails, well that maybe a while, a long while. Does your Bristol have the extra lead in it also?
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

It doesnt yet, but i had read they are somewhat out of balance a little lightwieght up front especially, with a full load in the cockpit so a couple put that same amount in the same place and they said their boat sailed better after that. I had thought about doing it myself and was just wondering if you knew more or just decided to keep it that way.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

White paint, white paint and more white paint. Oh and a little varnish.
V-Berth Painted Out 2.JPG
Hanging locker forward bulkhead Painted Out.JPG
Hanging Locker Painted Out.JPG
Port forward bulkhead Painted Out.JPG
And the beat goes on.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

wow! looks great!
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

You say a while until she goes into the water but you are certainly making good progress! Looks absolutely fantastic, I love that moment when it all comes together under a coat of paint.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

Wow, that's a nice look! Very sharp. Amazing what a coat of paint will do. Keep up the good work!
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks for the nice words. The paint makes me feel like it is comming together. Still a lot to be done.
Speaking of paint. I got the backsides of the V-berth shelf faces and settee faces primed and painted.
V-berth, Settee faces painted (backside).JPG
Working in the head area, I added a couple support blocks under the platform for the head. I plan on putting the 1 1/2" thru hull in the space to the left, if it will fit and the hoses work out.
Head platform block supports.JPG
Also in the same area, I am puttng in a shelf for the poobox to sit on. I cut out a pattern for a mimi bulkhead to be epoxyed into place along the edge of the shelf going up to hold the poobox in place (forward side). That will leave a space for hoses going up. One from the head into the top of the poobox and another from a tee (line to thru hull) under the poobox for pump out.
Poobox shelf supports.JPG
And spread a little epoxy fill to smooth things up (not sanded yet).
Chainplate Knee (epoxy filler).JPG
It's starting to get hot, so after working outside all day at my job it is getting harder to work on the boat at the end of the day. I would rather head to the house and soak up some AC and relax. So I guess Summer is here and boat work slows down.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

On your inner ceiling did you fair and then sand or just sand the print of the roving flat? Their will be a couple of spots that have the print thru and was trying to figure out the best course to smooth it out. Thanks
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Ghostwriter247-- The ceilings in the V-berth area had a light weight cloth on them so they were smooth, not faired. There were two different coats of paint. The last paint put on was flaking somewhat. When I sanded I tried to make sure I sanded the flaking layer all off and the first layer off only on the high spots. See the pictures above pre-paint. It is all spotty, paint and fiberglass.
The ceiling in the hanging locker was just the hull heavy roving no light weight cloth. I just sanded the high spots of the roving not worrying with the low. It didn't have the same two coats of paint and the paint was still sticking just fine. Also I was not worrying about any print thru in the hanging locker area.
Finish; Two coats of primer, sanding after each coat lightly. Two coats of paint, no sanding.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

More stuff done.
I got the poo box mini bulkhead cut out, fittted and epoxyed into place.
Poobox mini bulkhead.JPG
I also cut out the openings in the V-berth plywood faces and got two coats of varnish on them today.
V-berth faces.JPG
Later in the day I added a fillet to the aft side of the mini bulkhead and a 4" piece of tabbing to the forward side of it.
Poobox mini bulkhead fillet.JPG
Poobox mini bulkhead tabbed.JPG
I then cut out a piece of biaxel cloth and epoxyed it on the underside of the poo box lid.
Poobox lid glassed.JPG
I have also been working on all the hair line cracks in the main cabin's head liner. Scratching out the cracks with the point of a chisel and then filling with epoxy filler. I am not sure if this is going to work, long run, but I am giving it a try.
Head liner hair line cracks.JPG
And the work continues.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Paint, epoxy and deciding what to do.
I got the first coat of paint on the port settee/bulkhead area.
Post settee first coat of paint.JPG
And the first coat of primer on the backside of the V-berth faces. The front sides have five coats of varnish on them. Also I cut out and primed four cleats for the top of the poo box to help hold the lid on.
V-berth faces first coat primer.JPG
I also added a 1 1/2" strip of 1/2" plywood to the forward inside edge of the poo box mini bulkhead. I taped off the bulkheads in the head area and got two coats of varinsh on them.
Poobox mini bulkhead cleat.JPG
Moving aft in the boat, I cleaned out the motor area.
Empty engine space.JPG
I dug out my old motor mockup and set it in place. The old sink seacock/thru hull needs to be taken out and the hole filled in. I am going to use a shower sump for the sink drain and ice box drain that will pumped out somewhere (transom ?).
Mockup engine.JPG
Mockup engine aft end.JPG
I need to check the dimensions of it then get it set up right so I can figure out the beds for it. I am thinking of going with a Beta Marine 10. Thats what my mockup is based on.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200