Bristol 27

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Re: Bristol 27

Post by Hulukupu »

Very nice looking. What type of paint did you use for top Sides?
rescuesailor02
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Christina Louise
Boat Type: Truenorth 34

Post by rescuesailor02 »

I hope your making progress on your boat. I know how you feel about all the sanding and prep work that you have to do to finally get to top coat paint. The boat looks good, Keep going!
Lloyd
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

Well it's been awhile, I'am still here. I haven't done much on the Bristol 27. I did get a wild hair and built a mold so I could lay up a sliding cabin hatch. The original one was lost when the boat was hauled home after I bought it.
IMG_0386.JPG
I laid in two layers of glass on the inside of the mold with two strips of plywood (core) on the outside edges, the lips are on, with a plug to form the lips. It was very messy.
IMG_0451.JPG
After it cured, I pried the two plugs out.
IMG_0452.JPG
I then laid in the rest of the plywood strips (core).
IMG_0457.JPG
I laid in the glass on the inside, covering the core.
Then I trimmed up the edges of the lips.
IMG_0571.JPG
I took apart the outside of the mold so I could pop out the new sliding hatch.
IMG_0575.JPG
I don't seem to have a picture of it out of the mold.
I still have a lot to do on it, trim it up, apply filler, prime and paint.
Attachments
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I still seem to not be able to post pictures right. I had to go back in and modify the post to get the pictures in. Somehow it added the three pictures, doubles, at the end with the title Attachments. Oh well.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

And to add a tease. I bought a new Beta 14 engine to put in it. It is sitting in the boat. Looking like a lot of work to install it.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

"...looking like a lot of work." You make me feel hopeful, nothing on my list is as big and daunting as a repower.
Nice boat.
Keep on!
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

The new motor.
IMG_3777.JPG
I got the mounting holes for the motor mounts in and bolts in place. I won't do much more until I get a new prop shaft and new cutlass in. Then I will try to get it lined up.
A picture from the back.
IMG_3782.JPG
This shot is of the sea strainer and fittings. Trying to figure out location to make things work.
IMG_3778.JPG
I've got most of the new base/platform for the fuel tank made up. This shot shows part of the base epoxied in.
IMG_3781.JPG
Then I made a little platform for the muffler.
IMG_3780.JPG
And I cleaned up the 2 stuffing boxes (prop shaft and rudder), with 2 new hoses for them.
IMG_3776.JPG
And so it goes.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for the update. It's been a big project. What model is the engine?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

The new engine is a Beta 14.
I also missed the question about the paint. I used Awlgrip. I still have the deck and cabin top to paint. I hope I can get to that this fall when the temps cool off some.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

More pictures of things I have been working on.
The fuel tank and muffler base areas, painted out.
IMG_3793.JPG
This is a block I put in the corner of the port cockpit locker for the fuel tank fill fitting. It needs painting still.
IMG_3783.JPG
Block with the fitting sitting in it.
IMG_3786.JPG
This is the port side end of the fuel tank in the port cockpit locker. It extends under the cockpit. Left to right we have the vent/return line fittings, then the fuel fill hose connection and then the fuel pickup fitting. The black hose is the return line and fuel line. I haven't cut it into yet to hook up. I need a couple more fittings for them.
IMG_3835.JPG
New cockpit drain hoses.
IMG_3787.JPG
More to come.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

The muffler sitting in place. You can see the exhaust on the right.
IMG_3818.JPG
In this photo you can see the height difference between the two. The muffler inlet is suppose to be twelve inches away from the exhaust elbow. I just have that much distance. The water injection point is suppose to be six inches above the water line. I do not have that so the next option is to put a vented loop in the cooling water line before it goes into the exhaust elbow. It need to be sixteen inches above the water line and close to the boat center line.
IMG_3840.JPG
This next shot shows the location of the fuel filter and cut off valve, the sea water strainer with some of the fittings for the line to the engine and the line to the salt water pump for the sink. The 3/4" line for the head also comes off here. The PVC line is the ice box drain that will go to the shower sump box. The thru hull and valve has not been installed yet. Trying to make sure I can get to it before I cut the hole for it.
IMG_3817.JPG
On to the foot pumps.
IMG_3797.JPG
This is the face before I cut the slots for the foot pumps.
IMG_3795.JPG
Then after I cut the slots.
IMG_3847.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
Here are two sets of cleats. The closest set is for the shower sump pump box to sit on. I don't have a shower, using the box with pump for the sink drain, ice box drain and small bilge pump. The second set is for the larger bilge pump to set on. The bamboo sticks were used to hold them place while the epoxy set.
IMG_3822.JPG
That's it for tonight.
More to come.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Some more pictures of the work I have been doing.
This first one is of a fiberglass box I am making for the new engine control panel to be mounted in.. It's all clamped up with two layers of cloth, one of 6oz cloth and a second of biaxial cloth.
IMG_3843.JPG
Then all the clamps off, another layer of biaxial cloth laid on it, and then sanded a little.
IMG_3844.JPG
And here it is off the mold. The hole in it is where I hammered and pried it off the mold. That area will be cut out for the panel to be set in it.
IMG_3856.JPG
I still need to add on to the back of it to cover/protect the wires and such on the back of the panel. It will all be installed in the aft port side of the cockpit locker.

Back to the water tank.
The top of the tank has a 1 1/2" bronze fitting molded into it. I wanted to run a 3/4" line, for the fill line, to this fitting. I put a 1 1/2" to 3/4" PVC bushing in the fitting with a 3/4" PVC ell into the bushing.
IMG_3789.JPG
As you can see, all of that was to tall and wouldn't fit under the plywood of the V-berth. I cut the top part of the bushing off then rethreaded the bushing so the PVC ell could screw into the bushing more. Then added more fittings so I could attach a vent line also.
IMG_3859.JPG
And this is what I came up with for the deck fitting, reducing it to the 3/4" fill line.
IMG_3860.JPG
I used a 1 1/2" flex PVC line, a 1 1/2"slip x 3/4' threaded PVC bushing and a 3/4" hose adapter.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200