Triton "Dorothy G" (Numerous Photos)

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Triton "Dorothy G" (Numerous Photos)

Post by Tim »

At the request of some here on the forum, here are some detailed photos of Dorothy G. I still haven't laid my hands on anything that shows the hull number. She had one owner for a long time, and it's clear that she was once well taken care of. The boat's been covered for a few years, which has helped, but neglect still takes its toll, unfortunately.

From a distance, she looks pretty good. The hull is oxidized and needs paint, but is generally in good condition beyond cosmetics. The rudder is original (mahogany) and in good condition.

She has a short bowsprit, made from painted wood and featuring a bobstay running to the cutwater. The headstay fitting is located near the top of the sprit.

The decks are in fair condition without any excessive crazing or cracking. I haven't done enough of an inspection to determine the core condition, but walking around she seems relatively solid.

She has original top-opening locker lids in the cockpit. This places the hull number somewhere after #158 (which has "death lockers").

She has the single dog, 4-screw bronze opening ports, and bronze deadlight frames.

Here's how the interior looked when I opened her up.

Since I couldn't even walk around inside, obviously the first order of business was to clean out all the gear. I removed everything from the interior and the lockers, and then I threw or carried everything to the ground, and then sorted it into piles, separating the garbage.

All the gear:

The pile of dumpster-bound junk:

A person needs to know what's in the various containers being thrown, or in this case, dropped to the ground. Oops.

With the gear removed, I could get a good look at the cabin. There was plenty of mildew and peeling paint, thanks to the excessive moisture trapped inside by lack of ventilation during storage, but I've seen worse. The interior features many custom features and cabinets added by her long-time owner, including a different galley and nav station, settee berth that runs into the head hanging locker, and a Cole Stove in the salon.

The head features an additional cabinet to port, above the toilet, and a sink and vanity to starboard.

The v-berth is modified with a storage locker aft to port and a single berth running forward of the new locker along the port side. The starboard side is unchanged,

The cabin sole is the usual thing. The bilge is full of water. The manual pump on board works, but is highly anoying to use because the plywood to which it is screwed in the cockpit locker is loose and bangs incessantly when the pump is operated. It also has a short discharge hose that barely reaches over the side and is virtually unusuable by one person alone. I pumped maybe 20 strokes and quit in disgust. I'll dig my portable electric pump out of storage and finish it off.

She has a Universal 2-cylinder diesel engine, age unknown. I'd guess early '80s vintage. The engine has been painted at some point in the distant past.

I didn't really look at the rigging. She has an old CDI furler with bent and broken aluminum extrusion (trash). The spars look fine, if weathered. There are 4 sails, at least a couple of which look quite serviceable. The mainsail has the 3-prong Triton logo. Later I'll pull the sail out of the bag for folding and will report if I see a hull number on the sail.

That's it for now!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Thanks for posting those Tim. The old gal is lucky to have landed in your hands. Looking forward to the new website, too. She'll be an interesting project to follow. :)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

She'll be an interesting project to follow. :)
So ummmm..... what IS your plan for this new boat?...

-Britton
Tim

Post by Tim »

No plans at this point. Once I have the boat "stabilized" against further deterioration (cleaned and dried out, engine removed, and other minor things), I won't be doing much of anything for some time. I plan to store the boat as is until I have room inside and time to dedicate to the project, which looks like at least a year and quite possibly longer.

Further investigation will dicate the course to follow. But she'll remain a Triton--no major surgery is anticipated.

In the meantime, she won't get any worse.

Now I need a simple dry storage building...
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

This is just a guess, but I would bet her hull number is in the 200's. Of the Triton's I've seen, the later numbers have had the larger builder's plate above the lazarette; this one has the small rectangular one, as does mine. It also has the 4-screw portlights, which I understand are somewhat atypical, though #218 has them as well. Also, and this is just an assumption, but the bilge pump hose looks as though it is a shallow bilge, which would eliminate hull numbers 382 and greater.

Looks like a fun project.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

So you are planning another Triton restoration?

Is that before or after you finish the Seabreeze?

-Britton
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Or you could establish an impromptu Triton museum. Before, During, and After models on display. Admission payable in rum.

Or a dealership. Tritons available for any budget! Come on down!

Man isn't poking around in old boats just THE BEST??? This one is particularly juicy. The whole deal of having one owner for a long period of time makes it really intriguing, as each of the modifications tells part of a much larger tale.

Even the little touches, like those grabrails as handles for the cockpit lids, are cool to see.
kendall
Master Varnisher

looks lik fun

Post by kendall »

someone spent some time on that boat!

but whats the little box looking thing behind the rudder post?

ken.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm pleased to announce that I have sold Dorothy G to a happy new owner, who has spent quite a bit of time over the past couple weeks preparing the boat for a waterborne delivery from Round Pond, ME to Southwest Harbor, ME, in lieu of overland transport. Never mind the relative economics of one versus the other: this is what he wanted to do.

To aid in the potential for this delivery, I installed, at the owner's request, an outboard motor bracket on the transom and an aluminum access hatch in the cockpit. The boat was otherwise surprisingly sound, with all through hulls and seacocks in good working order and able to be closed.

Dorothy G departed here on Monday, June 25, 2007, headed for launching and rigging at Round Pond. I've since heard that both were successful, with no leaks, and that the boat is scheduled to be re-hauled in SW Harbor on July 2, where the real work can begin. I hope to keep in touch with the owner and find out how things are going from time to time.

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Deja vu! ...

Jeeze Tim, it must be so empty at your boatyard now!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Figment

Post by Figment »

Indeed! Quick, someone give this man a boat for his yard!
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Hey who was that unfamiliar guy with the weird colored truck???? hehe Funny to see someone other than Steve in your yard moving a boat.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Indeed! Quick, someone give this man a boat for his yard!
Nature abhors a vacuum, so I doubt the place will stay "empty" (only 4 boats) for long.
Figment

Post by Figment »

all smartass comments aside:
Congrats to the new owner! Don't be a stranger!
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Ditto that. If I hadn't gotten my boat 2 years ago, I'd have been really tempted to buy her myself. She's got A LOT of potential to be a really unique and special Triton. I'd love to see how she shapes up too!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Introduction

Post by Hulukupu »

Dorothy is now on the hard in Bristol. In a couple months I will start up a new project page for her under her new name-Mahana (Hawaiian for twin).
She was on the water for about a month last summer, as dry as one could wish for.
As Tim pointed out, at some point in her past she was well-loved and it shows behind the peeling paint and varnish. She has a wonderful feel about her.
I've enjoyed following the other projects here and look forward to sharing more with you all.
Best wishes,
David
Tim

Post by Tim »

David,

Good to hear from you. I look forward to hearing how you make out this season!
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I really like the interior layout of this boat, particularly that cubby on the starboard side settee.

David, good on you for putting her back together!
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Zach wrote: David, good on you for putting her back together!
Uh...I wouldn't say that I've put her back together yet, but she does float. I wish you could have seen the expression of another Triton owner when he peeked below and I told him my son and I were sleeping on board. He offered alternative accomodations that I declined.

How do you know what works and what doesn't down below until you've lived aboard?

And she smells great!
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

David,
I have always liked Mahana. The interior is one of most interesting I have seen as far as "better Triton ideas" go and owners with jig saws. Among my favorite bits is the cabinate on the port bulk head in the salon. It is great that you have been able to get the boat back in the water and use it before tearing into it. The condition of your boat when Tim was evacuating it of it's contents was very similar to condition of both 346 & 466 when I got them. I will never forget the expression on my friends face who came along with me when I first surveyed 466. With the boat filled with water up to the draws in the salon and everthing in a terrible disaray, when I turned with a grin on my face and said - "yeah this is the one" my buddy just about had a cow. The thing for me is that 466, like Mahana, had a certain something about her that I could not pass up. Having already owned a Triton for 12 years prior to my getting 466 - I had a pretty good sense of what I was looking for - with 466 it was the overall condition of the boat and that it had all the little original details in tact. (except the shift handle) There was a ton of "fathers day" gifts that were bolted and screwed onto every bulkhead but under it all was a Triton - my Triton. Have a great season with Mahana.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter