Not plastic but....

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Canuck
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Not plastic but....

Post by Canuck »

Hello. New forum member here (I hate "newbie). Located in BC Canada. My project is not plastic but is essentially a bare hull now and ready for fitting out. I have been visiting the Glissando site for a couple of years and will be utilizing much of the information Tim has provided. Many thanks for your generosity. I built this hull over a 12 year period with no completion date targeted. More a hobby than anything else. It is cedar strip/composite built from scratch from lines drawings. My first attempt at such an endeavor. (Jumped up from radio controlled airplane building.)
Some of the equipment I am installing is similiar to that in Glissando. i.e. Yanmar 2GM, Lavac head, so I may need some help. Although, Tim's explanations and photos are so detailed that a lot of my questions are already answered.
Ernie
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Welcome aboard, that is a beautiful boat. Forget the newbie thing - I've bothered the real geniuses on this board 300 some-odd times and I still barely know what I'm doing.

I'd love to know more about your boat. She has great lines and we'll forgive you for your lack of plastic. It looks like you are rapidly nearing completion; I see you're getting ready to install your instrument panel and the stern rail is in place. It looks like the maiden voyage is coming up. What king of rig are you putting on her?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Beautiful boat . . .

Post by MQMurphy »

Congratulations! Quite a project, and it looks great. Welcome to the site.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I'm sorry, but how are you people seeing pictures? I get nothing.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Ernie,

Welcome, and congratulations on your project! It looks like you're doing a first-class job--and, more importantly, having fun doing it.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that I hope you'll share more about your construction progress--and photos!

For example: what is the design of your boat? The hull looks Lyle Hess-like from the stern. Now that you've whetted our collective appetite, I think that more info is needed!
CharlieJ wrote:I'm sorry, but how are you people seeing pictures? I get nothing.
Charlie, did you forget your magic decoder ring?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Thanks guys,
The boat is a Fred Bingham (Father of Bruce Bingham of 'Flika" fame) design. He calls it the Traveler 27.8. Details are in the back of his joinery book if anyone has it.
Re rigging question: it is drawn as a cutter. I will likely rig it as a sloop with a Genoa off the end of the bowsprit.
I have a lot of construction photos if anyone has a specific request. Some of the major categories are: strip planking the hull over a jig, rolling the hull, pouring the ballast keel (from melted down wheel weights) building the rudder, transom, laminating beams and carlins, cockpit, trailer, engine & aquadrive, etc. etc.
Re the Yanmar control panel in the photo. Any ideas as to where I should mount it ?
Thanks
Ernie
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Charlie, I too am having problems with my... errr.... magic decoder ring....right...

Something to do with FreeImageHosting I think.

You can get around the issue by right clicking the icon, copying the target address and then using the address in a browser window.

That looks like quite a first step into the boatbuilding world. Looks good!

-Britton
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Gave me an "invalid address" Still can't get to it. I did get to the site once- but no pics- just a home page asking if I wanted to post pics.

And as an old wooden boat builder ( that's what I DO and I'm old :) ) I'd love to see the pics.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Charlie, try copying the "Image Location" rather than the "Link Location".

Ernie - beautiful job! Looking forward to seeing the maiden voyage!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

You might want to try tapping the screen.

Here are the photos below, to make it easier for those of you who either haven't earned or lost your decoder rings. FYI, I sell decoder rings in my Ebay store for $99 and I have a 10% discount this month.

Ernie, I hope you don't mind me hosting the photos. If you do, please let me know and I'll take them down immediately. Also, I promise not to use them for commercial purposes. :)

Everyone else: I have plenty of storage to host forum photos if you would like. I would encourage you to seek other options first, but (as in this case) if it doesn't work, just send me an email.

J/30 Rambunctious
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Re the Yanmar control panel in the photo. Any ideas as to where I should mount it ?
I'd vote for the rear of the cockpit. It's convenient to the helm and away from clumsy feet in the more forward part of the cockpit. My controls (for an A4) are in the traditional Triton spot on the forward starboard cockpit side and the throttle is frequently punched too high and I've already had to replace my choke cable as the tip was knocked off by some oaf (OK, it was me) as he stepped into the cockpit.
J/30 Rambunctious
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ernie,

Gorgeous boat! Can't wait to see how it comes along. Welcome to the forum :-)

I spent some time cruising in B.C. and really fell in love with the place. If I were Canadian I'd be there now, I'm sure :-)

Charlie,

I realize Jason has already solved the image loading problem in this thread, but here's something that might help in the future for a similar instance (works for me about 75% of the time).

I put my cursor on the little "broken" image tag, then hold down "control," which gives me a menu (I have a Mac but I think perhaps for you it would be a "right click") that has a number of options, one of which is "view image" (might be "load image" in some systems). When I click on that I can usually get the image.

Interestingly, once I did that for these images, and then clicked back to the main thread (it opened up the images in new page), the images showed up there too. This would probably even make sense to computer people ;-)

Anyway, it's something to try.

--- Rachel
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

CharlieJ wrote:I'm sorry, but how are you people seeing pictures? I get nothing.
Roughly 1/4 of the pics I get just an image tag, using mozilla I right click and select show image, and they come up when I return to the page, about a third of that 1/4 I get a 'no permission to access' I'd say it's offsite configuration.

Nice looking boat, I was very close to building a wooden boat, but spend so much time away from home I'd never get it finished.

ken
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Bingo Rachel that did it.

VERY nice work Canuck. NICE job. I talked to Fred years ago several times about his Allegros. Never got the chance to do one, but they were great looking cruisers. I wound up building a Cross 35 trimaran instead. Cold molded with Western Red cedar.

On the engine controls- on my tri I mounted them below, just inside the companionway- kept them out of the weather but real handy. Of course on the tri I didn't have drop boards. Had a door instead, so that might complicate things.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The engine panel works well for me at the aft end of the cockpit. It's a longer wiring run, but the engine comes with plenty of wiring harness to make this possible.

For known offshore traveling, I think it makes good sense to put the panel below somewhere--inside the companionway, inside a cockpit locker, something like that. The panels are terribly cheesy, and the large cutout required just isn't a great idea in an offshore cockpit well. But for inshore sailing, like most of us do, the cockpit location is convenient and poses no issues.

Here's how I did mine. It's a recessed mount with a cover, to keep it more out of the way and out of most of the weather. Note that it might make better sense to hinge the access panel from the bottom, rather than the top, as it's sort of a pain at the top.

http://www.triton381.com/projects/small ... jects8.htm
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

SWEEEEEET BOAT!!!!!
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Note that it might make better sense to hinge the access panel from the bottom, rather than the top, as it's sort of a pain at the top.
I have the same panel and installation as Tim, but I hinged at the bottom. Works great, as with my tiller design I can open the panel cover enough to pull the stop cable or push the start button while the tiller is still in the "up" position.

Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Jason, thanks for re-posting my photos. I had a hard time posting them as well. They would not appear in the post preview. Now I can't see them in the thread either.
Tim and Nathan thanks for the panel info. Nathan, that panel installation looks excellent. May go with that.
Ernie
Peter
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Ernie wrote:I have a lot of construction photos if anyone has a specific request.
I'd love to see as many construction pictures you can post. She is a beautiful boat!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Canuck

Re: Not plastic but....

Post by Canuck »

Been awhile. Still pluggin' away. Currently finishing up painting cabin and deck, fitting deck hardware and trim. The topsides will wait until the boat is outside this spring. Interior final finishing will be a work in progress for some time. Electrical, plumbing etc ready to go. Have the spars and most of the standing rigging. No sails or running rigging yet. Shooting for early summer launch.
Attachments
DSCF0003.jpg
DSCF0008 (2).jpg
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hey there, good to see you here again.

Your boat looks fabulous!

Rachel

PS: Unfortunately, it looks as through the image hosting service for your earlier pictures is no longer viable; please feel free to show us more photos now!
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

What a lovely boat. Definitely, please post some more photos.
Thanks Rachael for noting that the original photo site isn't functioning. I've been trying for about a half hour to get something other than ads from that site and just happened to scroll down to see your posting. Glad to note that my madness lies in areas other than keyboard ineptitude.

Steve
Triton 532 Anna Bella, soon to become Medora Jane
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Cheese! Such an easy and obvious thing! I'll be remounting my engine controls lid hinged at the bottom. Thanks for the idea. Hingeing from the top is, indeed a pain; the lid's sharp, always in the way, always hard to reach, and a great way to take a divot out of one's person.

And I like the aft mounting, too. It's a pain to have to leave the wheel and crawl over the seats to get to the forward end of the cockpit to start the beast, particularly when pressed by time and events. I wonder if the PO left the wiring harness intact with the extra wire Tim mentions? Q's existing recess is 'glass, which would seem to take away some of the objection about damage and watertightness at sea.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Some misc pics.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Gah! Drool-worthy!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Rachel, for a girl you sure do drool a lot :-P
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

But... but... just look at that boat!

(And, just for the record, it's figurative drooling. No actual drool. Bib is parched.)
Last edited by Rachel on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Wow...congratulations on a lovely boat. I always wanted to build a larger boat from scratch, but realised that I did not have the time. It is a pleasure to see your progress in pictures.....thanks!
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Tim

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:Gah! Drool-worthy!
You must replace a lot of keyboards.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Canuck, I'm sorry, but I can see I'm going to have to change my assessment:

"Not bad."

R.
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aurora
Boat Type: 1963 Islander 32

Post by Henk »

I'm sure there are many others drooling, I'm one of them.
What a beautiful boat, ahem, yacht. Your project is inspirational. Thanks.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Well after 20 years under construction I finally launched this boat. Whew !!!
Temporarily in Okanagan Lake at Kelowna, BC Canada.
Next season out to BC/Washington State coast.
Now what do I do ?
I will not build anything bigger than a birdhouse.
Here is a link to launch pics.
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh14 ... ly%202012/
Lloyd
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

20 years, WOW. Hopefully you will have years and years of enjoyment with her. Such a beautiful boat, you must be very proud of your accomplishment. Again BEAUTIFUL.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I cannot imagine the pins and needles you felt as the keel hit that water. Then that moment when you saw the trailer get lower in the water and the boat did not.

You have a whole lot to be proud of. Congratulations, fair winds, following seas and everything else that is good for one sailor to wish to another.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Tremendous accomplishment and a beautiful job - thanks for sharing with us! Even the duck came over to admire your beautiful boat...

Looking good!

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

WOW! Beautiful boat! 20 years! Makes my 18 month Cape Dory 22 restoration seem like a walk in the park.

Great Job!
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

She is one gorgeous little yacht and an accomplishment you should be extremely proud of. Would love to see more photos if you get the chance.

Smooth sailing and enjoy!!!!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Cruiser2B
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Salacia
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by Cruiser2B »

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy her! I wish you fair wind and following seas!
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
Preparing to get underway!!
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Thanks all for your kind comments. We have had the boat out a few times now. She sails well. Much faster than I expected.
Yanmar 2GMF runs great (bought in 1993,first start July 2012)
Minor waterpump leak. Some head plumbing leaks from not retightening hose clamps. STRONG shaft seal system is working great.
We have a trim issue. She floats stern heavy. Under motor power with 2 people in the cockpit the exhaust is under water. I have been collecting lead wheel weights and will try adding about 300 lbs ballast under the v-berth this weekend.
One frustration is handling the new, very stiff, slippery sails. Exhausting work for my wife and I. Will definite be looking at a dutchman or lazy jack system for the main. Stuffing the crinkly genoa into the bag is also a killer. Roller furling maybe someday.
Overall it's great to finally see her in the water although not having a boat at home to work on is taking some getting used to.