Electronics and Final Pictures

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Electronics and Final Pictures

Post by Tim »

Since the Daysailor will be delivered to her new owner on January 23rd, I thought I might take an opportunity to detail just a few of the final items that have occurred since the main work was completed in August.

In addition to the Raymarine ST-60 sailing instruments, I also installed for the new owner a Garmin GPSMAP 172C color chartplotter, and an ICOM VHF radio.

First, though, I had to deal with the back side of the 3.5" holes left from the instruments' installation. There needed to be access should servicing be required, but basically I wanted the installation to disappear.

I decided to build a simple cover out of more of the painted beadboard used elsewhere in the cabin. After cutting the plywood to fit the space, I glued some mahogany cleats to the back side of the piece to space it away from the existing bulkhead so as to clear the various wires behind. After primer and 2 coats of semi-gloss enamel, I installed it with some bronze screws. It blended in quite nicely.

(The beads actually do line up with those on the bulkhead; thanks to the camera angle, it appears here that they do not. But they do.)

I installed the GPS on a swing-arm bracket so that it could be conveniently viewed from the cockpit. I mounted the antenna at the transom, on a stainless steel 4" antenna mount.

I installed the VHF directly to the bulkhead beneath the GPS. I didn't bother trying to hide the wiring to the electronics and instruments, but did bundle the wires neatly. I ran the wires straight down, through the settee platform, and then to wherever they needed to go (electric panel, transom, transducers, mast step, etc.).

Some of the interior work was incomplete when I launched the boat, and when updates to the website ended. Therefore, I thought I would post a few final pictures here.

This shows the hinged backrests I made to cover the openings in the settee backs. They are 1/4" plywood covered with foam, with more of the cushion fabric stapled over the foam (with stainless staples). They're installed with simple non-mortise hinges at the bottom, and to hold the tops I used canvas-type snaps that I screwed to both pieces. It works great, and is very simple.

Here are a couple more photos of the interior.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating