5 days, 1 boat

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

5 days, 1 boat

Post by george »

We put the labor back into Labor Day.

Starting Sept. 3 and ending Sept. 8, me, my girlfriend and a friend managed to get most of the exterior cosmetic work done on Alberg 30, #439 at a marina near Lively, Virginia. (Rappahannock River)

Here are the before and after pics (and some action photos), though the before pic was taken a few months ago. Three of the lexan portlights did not fit, but otherwise we managed to knock out everything we set out to do.

Here is what we did:

* Sanded the old bottom paint off and applied bottomkote ACT. I will have to add another coat later, after I get the marina folks to move the stands. I waited until Labor Day when the marina was closed to do this dirty work. I sanded with 40-grit, then two passes with 80 grit. The respirators and crew were a lovely blue by the end of that long day.

* Sanded the entire deck and put down 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of polyurethane paint (brightsides, blu white). One pass with 80 grit and one with 120 grit, then 120-grit between primer and poly coats.

* Sanded topsides, put down 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of polyurethane paint (toplac, fort lauderdale blue)

* Mounted most of the deck hardware. I brought the winches home to service (lubricate). Most of the deck hardware was just backed up with small washers! This freaked me out a bit, so will likely be getting longer bolts and fashioning proper backing plates. I will probably get a lot of new deck hardware, it looks pretty rough next to the gleaming deck.

* Sanded and oiled most surface teak, but still need to mount it. The toe rails seem to need "bending" to match the curve of the hull, so wanted to ask about that.

Unfinished (or all that I can think of immediately):

* Paint the white stripes on the hull, right now the boottop is just primer and the cove stripe was overpainted with blue. There are several coats of enamel in the cove stripe, but need to get a 1-inch dremel brush attachment or something similar to grind it out properly. Hand sanding was going to take forever, and my other sanders would likely round off the indentation.

* Overhaul the Atomic 4.

* Mount aluminum 17-gallon fuel tank (it came in the day we were leaving.) The old one rusted through.

* Have the yard raise the mast.

* Get an aft pulpit. I guess not every Alberg 30 came with these? The bow pulpit is in OK shape, but I need to make new backing plates.

* Get a bilge pump.

* Get life insurance.

The interior looks like a tornado hit it, but that can be sorted out later.

Things I should have done differently:

* Used a shorter nap roller for the topside paint. The first coat was too thick and a little knobby. It failed the Helen Keller test, but I sanded it fairly smooth. A shorter nap was used on the second coat.

* Bought the $30 china bristle brush first! I used a $15 one for the first topside coat, and it left marks. The better brush was a dream to work with.

* I would have sanded out ALL of the tiny pimples on the hull. I sanded out only the open ones and epoxied them, but the "closed" ones later became open during sanding. Hopefully the primer will take care of them. They were roughly the size of a medium-point ballpoint pen tip, and there were only about 30 in four different areas. But still ...

* Read the instructions on the flattener. Contrary to what you might think, you have to use flattener in a one-to-one ratio (at least for interlux one-part paints) otherwise you are wasting your time). I had a gallon of Brightsides white, so used a quart of it for my glossy cabin sides and top, and figured the one quart flattener would de-gloss the remaining 3 quarts. But not even close! My whole deck is shimmering!

* Measured the windows better. Three windows would not fit. Amazingly, they all are slightly different, at least on this boat.

* Gotten out from under a tree! Pine straw was my biggest enemy. That and suicide insects.

* Made it less windy (maybe using tarps?) The first coat of topside paint suffered because one side of the boat was a bit windy. Otherwise, the weather was excellent, about 82 degrees with low humidity.

-- George

Note: In the pics, I am the blondish guy, my girlfriend is Allison and my trusty college pal is Bob, aka Mr. McSander. They are still talking to me after their "vacation."

BEFORE

AFTER

IN BETWEEN

I DRINK, THEY WORK

SHE LIKES THE BLUE

TWO-TONE

Mr. McSANDER

THE PORTER-CABLE!

AT LEAST THE FRAMES FIT MY HEAD
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

George,

Thats an impressive transformation in a short period of time! The boat looks great with that color. Do you have any photos of the interior before you get going on it? Thanks for posting you pictures.

Joe
george

Post by george »

Thanks!

I have a lot of interior shots, but to be honest the cabin now looks more like the shelves of a hardware store than a boat.

Here are a couple! The interior is in excellent shape according to the marine surveyor, it basically needs a coat of paint and some new curtains and cushions, and the wood needs polishing in places.

These pics were taken the first day I stepped aboard. Other than moving stuff out of the way, nothing has been cleaned, which makes the wood look even better!

V-Berth (and sail bags, I have no idea what those engraved numbers are for)

Too large of a toilet! (the previous owner removed the door to make it fit)

Cabin (and lonely Atomic 4 awaiting rescue)

Galley

Companionway

3 new sails and one slightly used spinnaker
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Nice batch of work! Very impressive productivity.

Yeah, I found that 1:0.75 was the minimum worthwhile ratio for the Brightsides with flattening agent. 1:1 is pretty good. 1:1.25 is better. If you go to 1:1.5 or more, you start to feel like you should've just used Benjamin Moore. The last coat is the only one that matters, though. Do the first coat or two with unflattened paint (much better opacity) and then do the last coat at your desired level of sheen.

Why wait for the yard to move those stands? Just move them one at a time. They're just there for balance, not supporting any real weight.
Moving the blocking under the keel is much more fun. Know anyone with an 8-ton hydraulic bottle jack?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Looking good!

By the way, the numbers in the V-berth look like Coast Guard documentation numbers to me. That means that the boat is federally documented in the way of registration, which, IIRC, means that you can trace the ownership right back to when it was documented.

I've never had a U.S. documented boat, but I'm sure others will chime in with more details, if you'd like them. (Slightly surprising this wouldn't have come up when you bought the boat, though...)

Nice job you've done. I need some friends like that!

--- Rachel
george

Post by george »

I bought the boat at public auction, so details were sketchy, but I am told an older man took the boat apart in 1995 to restore it and became too ill to finish the job.

He bought a lot of new parts for the engine and new sails and labelled each part he took off the deck.

10 years later his wife gave the boat to a local charity, which auctioned it off.

The marine survey made no mention of the numbers, but I guess I should have asked.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Rachel- I agree- they look like Documentation numbers. But that doesn't mean the documentation is current- it could have been dropped for what ever reason.

If he uses this web site-

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByID.html

and clicks on " ?Search By USCG Official Number? he can look up the boat that way. But if the documentation has lapsed for over 180 days it won't be on the site.

My trimaran was a documented vessel, and still is under the current owners.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congratulations, George! You're well on your way now.

I have to say...those v-berth cushions are an...um...interesting color.

Otherwise, it looks like a good cleaning will work wonders down there.

Thanks for posting your progress and photos! Look forward to seeing more.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I was down at the marina last weekend and saw your boat!

Was wondering what was going on with all the new paint work.

Color is going to be great.

I'll keep an eye out for you once I get down there and say hey!

Ric
george

Post by george »

Cool!

It will be good to know someone that can visit it in emergencies. I plan on being there sometime in October. I am going to glass in the new aluminum fuel tank and extricate the Atomic 4. Should be interesting.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

"* Paint the white stripes on the hull, right now the boottop is just primer and the cove stripe was overpainted with blue. There are several coats of enamel in the cove stripe, but need to get a 1-inch dremel brush attachment or something similar to grind it out properly."

How about a wire brush chucked in a drill?
george

Post by george »

I am not sure a drill would have the RPMs to break out the several layers of enamel.

I think a wire brush on a Dremel would be more effective. Of course, I need to get the attachment to test my theory. The 1/2-inch sanding drum on a dremel would likely NOT work.

I plan on testing several implements in October. One will work!