Sailing

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Sailing

Post by Tim »

Yesterday (Sept. 7), I finally managed to get the daysailor under sail for the first time ever.

I went out early and brought her to the dock to return the dinghy (launch service hadn't started for the day) and rinse her off, before returning to the mooring. Then, I completed a couple small projects that were required before I could sail: install some fairleads for the roller furling control line, and install nuts and washers on the genoa track bolts.

By 1000, I was done, but there was no wind. Hoping it would come up, I raised the main and motored out past the island and towards Hussey Sound, which opens to the Atlantic. Seabreezes come through here first, so I slowly powered my way out. Sure enough, by the time I got there, a light breeze came up.

I tacked around for a while and adjusted the genoa sheet leads. Please excuse the poor halyard tension seen on the genoa in these photos; the CDI furler has this ridiculous internal halyard that you make off at the drum itself, and it's really tough to get it tight enough. It's even harder (read: impossible) for a solo sailor to go forward and do it underway, so I left it. (Later, I tightened things as much as I could).

After a while, I bore off for a great reach. The wind peaked around 10-12 knots for a while, but was mostly lighter--8 knots. Perfect for a shakedown.

The boat felt light and quick, though I had no speed-determining devices on board. She was definitly more sprightly than a stock Triton, not surprisingly.

The new triradial main looked great. I still needed to rig a cunningham, figure out a way to run the vang control line, and especially needed a way to control the outhaul, which currently had a rudimentary one-part line that was impossible to tighten properly.

For you eagle eyes out there, yes: there is a funny reverse bend in the spar right aft of the jumpers. It seems that the jumpers need to be much less tight than they are (they're not that tight, really), as the tapered spar is much softer and bendier than a stock Triton telephone pole. I cannot find a way to remove that little reverse bend, so when the mast is unstepped later I'll adjust the tension on the jumpers. If the boat were to be in the water longer than she will this year, I'd deal with the tension now, but see no reason to go up the mast at this juncture. If I were a monkey I'd shimmy up to the spreaders to adjust the turnbuckles, but I'm not one.

The new genoa looked nice, but it was supposed to be a triradial design; instead, I received a standard crosscut. Irritating.

After a couple hours, I returned to the mooring, happy with the boat's performance, but eager to fine-tune some of the control systems.

The new cushions in the interior really finish things off, too.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

That's an amazingly short list of bugs to be worked out.

Damned nice work, my friend. She's a beaut. I applaud the choice of the white UV cover on the genoa.

and that mainsail logo will have sailors scratching their heads for miles around ;)
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Tim,

Could you tell a substantial difference in the newly designed rudder? I guess you'll probably need to get it out in a serious blow to find our how well it works in all conditions.

The boat looks like major fun to sail!

Joe
Tim

Post by Tim »

jhenson wrote:Could you tell a substantial difference in the newly designed rudder?
Not really, though it's not really fair to make a direct comparison anyway. This boat is sailing with a 150% genoa, while I'm used to sailing with a 130; also, the boat is much lighter than I am used to.

That said, the boat seems extremely responsive to the rudder--much more so than on Glissando. There was still mild to moderate weather helm when the wind was up.

I did notice one odd trend under sail. At one certain speed--quite slow, but not super slow--the tiller would shake like it had Parkinson's disease. When the boat sped up or slowed down just a bit, this motion stopped. Weird.

I look forward to a few more sails before, alas, she comes out of the water again. We're traveling this fall, and both boats will be home by the 16th. Still, this brief in-water trial was important on many levels, even if it's far shorter than it should be.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Shaky tiller only under sail, not under power? Gotta be some turbulence off the propellor, no?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Certainly could be. I had the transmission locked in reverse, but had no idea what orientation the propeller was in relative to the deadwood.

Next time I go out, if the problem arises again I'll try spinning the shaft to see if it changes things.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Tim,

Congragulations on a successful shakedown! I know everyone here has been as eager as I have to hear it come to fruition.

A round of drinks for everyone!
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Love the "Lackey Sailing" sail emblem! Way too cool Tim! I'm sure you're getting sick of the compliments, but she's a gem... truly.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

MikeD wrote:Love the "Lackey Sailing" sail emblem! Way too cool Tim! I'm sure you're getting sick of the compliments, but she's a gem... truly.
Thank you!
Tim

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:
MikeD wrote:Love the "Lackey Sailing" sail emblem! Way too cool Tim! I'm sure you're getting sick of the compliments, but she's a gem... truly.
Thank you!
It might explain Nathan's post if I mentioned that he designed the logo for me.