Cockpit: Progress?

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Cockpit: Progress?

Post by jhenson »

I don't know if I am progressing or moving backwards, but here are a couple of pictures I posted to my web site today that show where I am on the cockpit modifications.

This picture shows the new cockpit sole that has been partially faired with the cockpit drain holes completed. The new hatch hole has had the core removed around it and filled. The old guage holes are also filled.

The gaping hole in the seat structure is for the new top loading access hatch. I guess I am now officially committed to new lockers. Actually, I think that I should be committed! The plan here is to use the skin from the cutout to form the new locker lid. It has a bit of a pain to remove the plywood stringers underneath the seat skin and lid to apply the gutters and lid core, but I have that completed on this side. You can see the underside of the lid skin resting inside the locker cut-out.

This shot shows the cut-out for the new locker. The first step will be to fill the rectangular area of the old seat locker. Next, I'll adheare the U-shaped gutter section to bottom of the cockpit seat. I will then add a molded section to the front of the locker cut-out that will form the "lip" recess. I have the molds for this side nearly completed and hope to have pictures soon.

You can't really tell from the picture, but the top of the rudder tube has been repaired aft (the wooden tube mold is on the lazerette with all the junk).

Here is a picture of the top of the locker lid.

Hopefully this will work out to be something worth the considerable effort.

Joe
Last edited by jhenson on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
windrose

Post by windrose »

Looking good Joe.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Joe,

Although I'm writing this sitting comfortably at a table, not swaddled in Tyvek and covered in dust, I'd say that good, accessible cockpit lockers are worth it!

Looks good and it's nice to see the progress photos.

--- Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Looks great. Thanks for the photos. I hope you keep posting them as you go, as this is a modification that others will surely be interested in.

Oh, the sweet look of multi-purpled fairing compound! So very familiar...
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Well, here is the progress in the last few weeks.

1. The starboard gutter assembly is completed and attached to the seat.

2. The old locker opening is filled and partially faired.

3. The locker lid is laminated to a sheet of plywood that was bent to conform roughly to the camber of the seats (although I bent the back edge a bit too much). The front lip has also been strengthened by adding about 1/8" of material to back of it.

4. The locker lid plywood has aluminum strips inlaid that act as drip edges to discourage water from running under the lid to the locker.

5. I applied some cloth and fairing compound to the underside of the lid.

6. The port locker opening has been cut and the plywood stringers have been romoved from the underside and lid skin.

7. I have the mold constructed for the port side and should begin the layup for that side today.

My goal is to have these roughed in by the end of the month so I can go on to the recore project while the weather remains comfortable. They have been quite a bit of work so far, but I am optimistic about the results.

Joe
Last edited by jhenson on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Joe,

That looks excellent! Nice work. I would say the effort has been well worth it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Very impressive! Keep up the good work.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen