Introducing Katie-J

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
pmnfernando
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Katie J
Boat Type: Van de Stadt Pioneer 9

Re: Introducing Katie-J

Post by pmnfernando »

hi!

i noticed it like a couple of weeks ago
what do you mean about alibaba hitting you guys? i buy stuff there all the time

i post some sporadic photos on facebook, on a small Van de Stadt owners group, and also on boat design and PBO. i always tell ppl to come here for more info and photos, but ive been doing that for a long long time,
these crazy numbers only started a couple of weeks ago so it doesnt make much sense, why now?!
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

a lapse into the future

months ago i got my cad drawings plotted and so now i could do the cut outs and transfer them to the G10 sheets
trasnfering to G10.jpg
i then cut the long lines with the grinder and did the round sections with a jigsaw. those cut are far from perfect, some can be tuned up and some dont. im not that worried because the lid has a nice overlap so all those small mistakes are pretty much always hidden aniway.

it will take me some time to get ready to glass this piece.
i need to devise a system that will,not only enable to attach the hinges, but also to easily remove/replace them in the future.
For now im thinking i will use that poltruded fibreglass corner, cut where needed to fit and tapped for metal inserts.
All of this needs to be done before the piece goes in as it would be a nightmare to have everything line up working in such small and confined spaces.
after cut and rough fit.jpg
i wont have much clearance from the bottom of the cabinet to the matress but i can always get a thinner one. the sample i got was 6 inches thick. Maybe 4 inches still makes for a comfortable bunk.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Most people find 4" medium firmness cushions sufficient for sleeping on. My boat has 3" due to cabinet doors restrictions and when I developed some back problems in recent years I unrolled a memory foam cushion on top for more comfort just when sleeping. It seems my 3" foam was a bit too firm for my back so I'd suggest choosing the firmness correctly to suit your needs.
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

hi atom

the memory foam matress is a great tip.
ive just checked my order and my sample is actually 4 inch and not 6 as i previsouly mentioned. the density is 50kg/110pounds.

i guess im defo slimming that to 3 or even 2 inch plus that memory foam to make it comfortable.
on he plus side it means less money spent on sunbrella for the covers!
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Still no idea why the brazillion hits on the post, but - it doesn't hurt anything, so... :)

I've been using a "foam sandwich" that has proven comfortable: 2 inch foam on the bottom, then a yoga mat (3/8", maybe 1/2"?) in the middle, and a "memory foam" mattress topper.

The yoga mat layer seems to firm things up just enough to be really comfy with no bottoming out.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

pushing forward on some other jobs

epoxy lining the inside of the water tank lids
epoxy lining the intside of wate tank.jpg
glueing the supporting lip for the fwd lid
gluinf the lip.jpg

trying out an epoxy putty from a taiwanese brand called Rainbow. really thick stuff to mix and apply but cures pretty fast and hard
i gave it a light initial sand with 80 just to get a feel. 40 grit will be much better for a first pass then higher grits to fine tune
just after applying
taiwanese epoxy putty .jpg
after partially sanding with 80 grit
filler after light sanding.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

V berth Portside Fwd Locker

dry fitting the piano hinge
installing hinge.jpg

dry fitting the lid
lid open.jpg

lid closed
there is a bit of spring back on the lid which tells me the piano hinge might be bowing a little. i dont thin this will be a problem and the lid will have locks to keep it closed
dry fitting the lid.jpg
after fitting the lid i proceeded to paint the interior of the locker with one coat of primer and one of paint
i had some surplus on both times so you will noticed i took the chance and applied it to the cork panels to see how they would react to the products

primer
coat of primer.jpg
paint
first coat of paint.jpg
i will apply more coats of paint, with some sanding to remove the bigger runs and imperfections but i will not waste much time on it. these are lockers after all, almost always closed, so i will focus way more on the visible sections of the interior
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

It will be interesting to hear how the cork works out for you under paint. I have a roll of leftover 6mm thick cork here I'd like to use on some future project.

What type primer and paint do you use in lockers? I may have mentioned before that I like to use white Interprotect 2000e or equivalent epoxy barrier coat as my only coating in lockers since it always adheres well, is rock hard, goes on easy and fairly smooth with a short nap mohair roller and disposable chip brush for corners. But the downside is you have to wear an organic filter mask.

You've worked a lot now with thin G10 board. We discussed it earlier but do you have any tips or warnings on its use now that you've worked with it so much? The long thin panels seem like they would flex a lot if not supported in some way, at least more than what's needed for a thicker plywood or a cored fiberglass board. Do you use it so much everywhere because you get it at a discounted price or just like the convenience in some ways as opposed to buying or making your own lighter weight foam cored panels with a thin layer of glass on each side. If waterproofness is you main concern then sealing the plywood with a couple coats of epoxy resin should make it last your lifetime and longer. Foam panels are more work to make I know and they don't hold fasteners well. Do you attempt to use short screws on your piano hinges that go into G10 or bolts with nuts?
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

from research i knew the cork would take epoxy based products, so i knew the products would stick.
there is some inherent porosity (lacking a better term) to its surface, so this test was to see if the products would somehow fill those minute spots.
i will have to return to the boat and observe that but im pretty sure they wont be enough to fill the spots.

my initial idea was to laminate, with 3Oz cloth, all the edges of the cork panels to its adjacent surfaces (just a 1 layer lamination) and then apply a thin layer of fairing over everything to close the pores and provide a smoother surface for any other products.
i think im still doing that going foward

the products i used were: International Interprotect and International Perfection.

about the G10, i do get it straight from the manufacturer, which has its nuances.....by now we´ve established a relation over the years and ive bought quite a bit (for a private user). They are kind enough to allow me very small quantities, but wont sell less than one sheet (which for them corresponds to half a plywood sheet, so roughly 4 x 4 feet) and thats how i had to buy that 4 x 4 feet sheet of 30mm G10 which i can tell you isnt cheap even coming straight from the manufacturer.
The nice thing is that they also are keen to let me go by installments, so i could spread the costs over several months, then when i balance the total, they ship it.

I ended up choosing G10 because of the reasons you stated: i dont have to build/buy other composite panels and being solid fibreglass i know that i can drill it to install some piece of kit without worrying about having to drill-fill-drill, to avoid water intrusion over the years, which you will get with a plywood panel.
for a guy that plans to live full time on this boat in the coming years the idea was always to minimize the effort to clean and maintain it.
For example if i need to do a deep clean inside the boat, i need only to remove the stuff that cant be even partially wet and hose and scrub the boat, use the bilge pumps to dispose of that water and its done.

It is true that 3 mm G10 flexes a bit but it also depends on the span of said piece. in my last post you can see one of the biggest lids for the lockers, on one side its suppported by the piano hinge and on the opposite side its supported by a lip that was epoxied and laminated.
Although the space right above that portside locker is being used to store a foldable bike in the future, the bike will have it own custom made stand that might be even glassed to the hull (have to decide on that since now will have to remove some of the cork to glass such stand directly to the hull)even if some of the bike load will be on the lid, it wont go anywhere.

i think i mentioned it before, for 3mm thick, anything less than 500 mm span and being glassed on both side/edges is more than capable to withstand the loads.

For stuff that it is acessible , like the locker lid, im using bolts and nylocks nuts, but for things like the toerail, rubrail, tanks inspection lids and some of the interior hatches im going to use the metal inserts to attach them.
It turns a 2 man job into a single one, and thats the reason behind it. Its such a simple job when you have another person with you, but it turns into a multi day project and at times, a damn near impossible one without them.

i cant be bothered by needing another person to undo a bolt, so im investing time consuming planning and building now, to avoid all that in the future, as much as possible.
Last edited by pmnfernando on Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for those details. The innovative work you're doing gives me some ideas to try out.
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

closing the water tank

lining the fwd section with the epoxy coating product
epoxy lining fwd section.jpg
laminating both lids
i dont actually use thickedned epoxy in between the contouring supporting lips and the lids, as that would create interior squeeze out which would then contact the water you will be drinking in the future.

i do place a bead of thickened epoxy, all around, but just as a filler -between the very edge of the lid and close surface itsd being tied of to- and as a fillet so that the cloth trasnsitions in a better way from horizontal to vertical direction.

As always i do 2 layers of biaxial cloth. the lid is 3 mm G10 sheet
laminating lids.jpg
laminating lids 2.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

not much done this weekend but prepped some things for the coming one

trimmed the excess pvc pipe running thru the swtb cabinets.
cutting the excess pipe.jpg
installed a T section which will enable running cables thru the inside of the water tank (Ie the battery bank and from here to everywhere on the boat) and out to the future switchboard
installing the T section.jpg

I could then install the pvc run that will run the cables to the cockpit locker and consequently to the aft lazarette locker
the future switchboard will be built around this pvc section enabling watertightness on its interior.

Im still brainstorming the final shape/volume for the switchboard.
For now im inclined to make it a continuation of the cabinets facade and by creating all that volume i would be creating all the space needed (one hopes) for fuse blocks, bus bars, MPPT controlers, DC to DC chargers, battery switches, and all that goes with that. The plan is also to install a couple of those low voltage computers fans (intake and exhaust) to keep air circulating at all times inside.
installing the new pvc section.jpg
i could then rought fit some bits of cork for the insulation
After a couple of measurements it became apparent that i wont be able to install the inverter in aft portion of this space as initially wanted.
It will have to be installed in the aft lazerette locker.
this means running more cables fore and aft but it also frees up space on top of the water tank, which means storage.
So, even if not completely happy about the inverter, i cant honestly say im unhappy with more storage..... boats eh!
rough fit insulation.jpg
I also took some time to see how the cork painted areas faired so far and to be honest im surprised at the porosity coverage. its better than i was expecting.
i am still going to apply fairing compound and sand because i want a neat finish (and because the cork got dented from bracing it into shape with struts which exerted a fair amount of pressure to make it conform to hull shape) but if you have a clean glued up panel, i would venture that a couple of primer coats, plus 2 coats of paint will do the job.
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

birthing a new locker

after some time having a look inside and out, i thought that an extra self draining cockpit locker to starboard was a possibility given that i have the space for in internally

installing the locker fwd wall
locer fwd wall.jpg
tabbing the bottom wall and keeping it level
you will notice an inboard slant to promote self draining
getting it levelled.jpg
closing the space with the "back wall"
cockpit locker.jpg
i could then sketch the cut lines on the cockpit seats
cockpit locker  cut lines.jpg
after cutting
cockpit locker 1.jpg
all laminations done on the inside
locker lams finished.jpg
cup of coffee for perspective
locker perspective.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

isolating the engine room from the rest of the cabin

due to the way i built the water tank - with an inbuilt semi circle molding to make space for the ballvalves - that meant the engine rooam wasnt isolated from the main cabin.

i plugged those semi circles with cork layers and laminated over them to waterproof everything

i used 3 layers of cork, to a total of 90mm thick. that should help in keeping heat and sound contained
3 cork layer plug.jpg

view of aft plug
aft plug.jpg
after laminating
after glassing the plugs.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

reinforcing the stem

when i first started the refit i had bought a couple of solid grp round corner rectangular section to use in the main cabin for a specific project (not spoiling it, i will mentioned it when the time comes for that), but then i thought some more and ended up getting a different solution.

Well, i ended up with those, rather heavy actually, sections and no use for them.

i then thought that reinforcing the stem would be a good idea, not only because it would make it stronger, but it would also in fastening anything in the future should the need arise (say i wanted to fasten a bobstay chainplate for example).

With this in mind the first step was to shape the soild grp section to fit which i did by tracing it very loosely, cutting the bigger bits with and angle grinder and fine tuning with a flap disk
shaping the stem.jpg
then i epoxied to the hull
stem reinforcement overall view.jpg
because of its shape i felt the need to fill the space between the piece and the topsides as a way of bridging that gap.
at this stage i had numerous thin, bendy, leftover strips of 3mm G10
some G10 leftovers.jpg
epoxying the strips
epoxying the leftovers into stem.jpg
epoxying the strips really helped in saving resin by acting like a filler but the finish was still too rugged so i decided to slap some of that epoxy putty (brown patches), spread it as well as i could and with it still fresh i laminated one layer of biaxial cloth to smooth everything out. no problems during curing and i think that i have a good enough surface to paint
epoxy putty and lam stem.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

"change of plans"

initially i thought about making this stb cabinet into 2 halves.
you can see the divider was yet to be finished as i had to laminate another piece of G10.
change of plans 1.jpg
a few months ago i was using a tool - either the grinder or the driller with a large hole saw - and had one of them freakish incidents where the tools just escapes your hands and it crashed onto the divider - which was only epoxy tabbed to the hull and walls - and actually broke some of the tabbing.
yeah, it was that violent.
i cant really remember which tool i was using but it was an impressive impact.

aniway, i carried on, unscathed, and told myself i would fix that later on.
fast forward a few months and i got a new layout idea for that space.
first thing was to remove the existing G10 sheet
chnage of plans 2.jpg
then i took some measurements and basically scribbled 3 main lines:
chnage of plans 3.jpg
with the lines scribbled on the side walls i could insulate this space.
instead of the 30 mm thick cork i opted to apply 2 cork sheets of 6mm each, to maximize the available space.
after insulating with  2 layers 6mm cork.jpg
seeing how the new layout consists of a top shelf and 2 drawers, and my obsession about making the most out of every cubic mm/inch, i thought, it would be smart to take a moulding of the hull between those 2 side walls.
usually i just use cheap gaffa tape as a release agent, but was afraid the bond would be too strong towards the thin cork sheets and decided to apply a first layer with painters tape which has a far less sticky adhesive
applying painters tape.jpg
then i applied the brown gaff tape and laminated 4 layers of biaxial cloth onto that area
hull shape lamination.jpg
it was ready for demoulding the following day
hull shape lam final result.jpg
so for now i have the back of my future drawers done ensuring i can utilize as much space as possible.

stay tuned, more to follow!
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

keeping on other jobs

got the grinder with a 40grit flap disk and went thru the aft deck and around the aft hatch

before
aft deck before grinding.jpg
after grinding and rinsing
aft deck after grinding 1.jpg
on the interior im trying to square the available internal volume since its much easier to build around right angles than curved surfaces
this small partition was glassed to provide a flat surface as well as a place for insulation, as it will be filled with PU foam in the near future
squaring spaces and creating insulation space.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

new bow hatch

since i made the decision of installing a watertight anchor locker/collision bulkhead, it always made sense to make that space accessible from the deck rather than opening the bulkhead (which will be held in place by a decent amount of bolts)

After all, the only stuff it will house is the chain and warp so, in a pickle, i need to access that space to untangle anything that might have went awry.

i got hold of a nice 316 stainless hatch and placed on deck to have a feel for its best location, knowing it will always be to port since the chain will run to starboard
(that other opening - when will i ever stop!-, is for another project im currently building)
SS decj hatch.jpg
i had taken measurements from the hatch, made a cad file and had it cnc cut into a plywood template
and more holes.jpg
with the template i was able to transfer it onto 6 mm G10 sheet, creating a "washer" that will level the deck making completely flat to receive the hatch.
luckily i had a hole saw that is the exact inner diameter. i cut the outside diameter with a jigsaw
making the G10 washer.jpg
dry fitting the washer to determine where i had to flush cut so it would fit the toerail moulding
dry fit G10 hatch levelling washer.jpg
i then put everything together marked where the bolts would be done and glassed the washer in
fwd hatch pilot holes.jpg
after curing i was able to tap threads
tapping thread.jpg
and install the metal inserts
316 metal insert.jpg
and finally bolting it down
screwing it down.jpg
this project is almost finished. i will laminate a couple of layers of glass on top of the washer to ensure nothing will move in the future
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

starting the drawers build

having established those 3 lines (see previous post) i now knew where to start, so i templated the top shelf ,the bottoms and sides of the 2 drawers

tabbing the top shelf
top shelf.jpg
having cut the drawers side panels, it was time to create space for the sliders im installing in the near future.
they will be medium duty and lock in and lock out type ones.
i went online got their dimensions and added a few mm and got to a final dimension. with this info i then went to a nearby wood shop and had a strip of 9mm thick plywood cut.

i measured 30 mm form the top of the drawer, placed the strip a and scribbled the cut line
cut lines for spacer.jpg
after cutting the panels and dry fitting the plywood strip/spacer.
the slider thickness is 12 mm and since the plywood is 9mm thick, that gives me a 3 mm clearance on both sides once everything gets put together
alining the spacer.jpg
laminating the recess
laminating slider recess.jpg
demoulding the spacer
demoulding spacer.jpg
after demoulding spacer.jpg
this is where i am currently.
i have yet to glass the bottom which will be followed by the hull shaped laminated piece
lower drawer very dry fit.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

"AC cabinet" works

This cabinet is one of the few features from the original design i havent completely altered.
I say completely because it used to be a "full" height cabinet and i decided i wanted a shelf, so it meant i would reduce the height, making it suitable - i hope - to house a AC unit and some other stuff.

The shelf inkling came as an effort to make the interior of the boat appear more spacious, revealling the cabin top curves, whilst enhacing acess to the STB main chainplate nuts

I prepped the plywood partition, gave it a quick sand since it has been years since the begining of the works and i had dirt and epoxy splashes
outside
Ac cabinet aft face before lid and lams.jpg
inside
AC cabinet before lid and lam.jpg
i cut out of 3 mm G10, dry fitted it, had it levelled and then tabbed it in.
AC cabinet lid tabbed in.jpg
next day was time for some laminations
outside corners
AC cabinet outside corner lams.jpg
inside corners
AC cabinet inside corners lams.jpg
And i also decided to laminate a single layer of cloth on the partition plywood,
i have yet to laminate the interior, but i had time to do the outside.

This was done with leftover cutouts from previous lams jobs.
I keep some of the best pieces and then throw them together with a very slight overlap. The use of peelply helps in levelling the pieces, but since it will be as a painted surface, it will be faired and sanded so any imperfections will disappear
original partition outside lam.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

A couple of posts ago i couldnt get around a spoiler by showing yet another hole ive done in my stb bow.

That opening is for a new compartment being built inside the anchor locker.
The idea came about because i realized i would need a tool to help me unscrew that shinning stainless access hatch ive installed.
So it made sense having it stored where it will be most used: at the bow, at night, when everything is going bonkers.
The aplications for that space quickly grew in order to house future windlass buttons, some cam lock fitting to help transitioning the water lines and cabling from the nav lights (future install) from the deck to the boat's interior.

I try not to make a big fuss when its time to puch a whole in the deck. pretty much all of it its "aesthetically eyeballed", meaning that if it looks right, it might be right. i do take some care ensuring i cut the surfaces whilst retaining a bit of a lip where i can tab and laminate should that need arise in the future.
In the photo thats apparent by the 50 mm distance between the toerail and the closest cut line
new acess hole 1.jpg
detail of gap between the deck and grp cabin liner
gap between the inner linning and deck glassing.jpg
i still have soft spots on the deck,and seeing this made me think if they arent, apart from the boat age, one of the reasons why i have them.
because ive been rebuilding so much of the interior with vertical pieces that connect the hull to the deck, ive eliminated deck flexing to a great extent.
i will try to improve this situation by mixing very runny epoxy and just pour it down in the affected areas, effectively bridging these gaps together and maybe getting rid of the soft spots.

it was then time to pattern the aft and fwd walls of the compartment, making sure to include an outboard and forward going slant to make it self draining
patterning anchor locker compartment.jpg
tabbing the walls
fwd wall and longitudinal wall.jpg
tabbing the bottom
missing the last panel.jpg
tabbing the last panel
last panel tabbed in .jpg
you will notice this last panel is oversized.
i needed surfaces to apply the epoxy, to keep in place when i laminate it from the inside. after that it will be trimmed, rounded and laminated over
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

in case you are left wondering what are those 2 holes to port below the big one for the hatch compartment, ive bought some neat polypropilene cam fittings.
These are watertight and will be used to enable a water line at the bow and as a way of pumping water out since i will have a permanent roving bilge pump installed, ready to be used at all times.
Propylene isnt UV resistant so so they have to be used inside.

Cam fittings
polypropilene cam fittings.jpg
couple of views
cam fitting with hose fitting.jpg
thru bulkhead view.jpg
when not in use they can be capped
cam fitting with cap.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

building the drawers

ive started to build them by doing the bottom one first.
building this one first will enable to set up a base where i can then lay the foundation for the top one

tabbing the bottom to the sides
i have used a 9mm plywood spacer to build the recess for the sliders, but i chose to assemble the drawers with a 15mm spacer instead. might be splitting hairs but we dont want to resort to drastic resizing because of a couple of mm, that'd be a time waster!
epoxying the sides to the bottom lower drawer.jpg
i didnt got a photo but after tabbing the sides to the bottom i reinstalled the laminated back piece and had it tabbed to the asembly
next photo shows it after removal from the cabinet
removed after cutting the backside to allow dislodgment.jpg
next photo shows the underside of the drawer still with the excess of the back piece just before it was trimmed
before trimming.jpg
this is after trimming but before rounding up with the flap disk to a "cloth friendly radius", making it easier to laminate.
i use a 12mm rounding bit on a trimmer whenever i have straight surfaces but in these situations i just free hand being carefully not to remove too much material
after trimming but before rouding it up with flap fisk.jpg

epoxy gap filling ability 1
detail of epoxy gap filling.jpg
epoxy gap filling ability 2
gap filling epoxy 2.jpg
with all the rounding done could proceed to laminated both the interior and exterior
always 2 layers
interior
laminating the inside.jpg
exterior
laminating the outside.jpg
now that i have a very sturdy assembly i could place it back onto the cabinet and start tabbing the upper drawer
tabbing the top drawer bottom and sides.jpg
i have yet to finish both drawers, as i need to epoxy and laminate the upper one and then trim both of them back in relation to their facade. both of them stand proud of the cabinet as of now.
maybe some adjustments will be needed about their respective height (nothing major, we re talking mm) so that everything fits in the end
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

STB cabinet works

some post ago i showed the facade of the STB cabinet in place, mentioning that i still had a lot of work to do before that happens.
and all that work starts with epoxying the poltruded grp corner piece to the inside of the cabnet piece
i chose to get a full run as it is much easier to get everything lined up to the same height when the time comes to attach the hinges.

the hinges will be placed in a template fashion, onto a 3mm piece of G10 which will, in turn, be bolted to the GRP corner piece. this way it possible to expedite the process whilst making sure that each lid will be pretty much identical (thats the theory!)
it also means that any future repairs ensure that the lid is taken out as one piece (lid plus hinges) which i think helps

this photo is the classic "the more clamps the merrier", i thought 6 clamps would be enough...ended up using 10....
epoxying the hinge base platform.jpg
after cure detail
post cure detail.jpg
before trimming
before trimming.jpg
after trimming
here i trimmed lenghtwise and also making space for the partitions wall between the different spaces
[attachment=1]after trimming lengt and partition wise.jpg
Attachments
after trimming lengt and partition wise.jpg
Last edited by pmnfernando on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

"spring clean"

i dont think i will have time to do much more on the boat as its already warming up "Asia style" in this place.
this means that its impossible to work inside until october (fingers crossed for this year, because in 2023 one could swear we were in July, mid November!)

with this in mind i thought: maybe cleaning the boat its not a bad idea
before clean up.jpg

i was sincerely expecting a bigger difference but i can assure you its eons better than the effing palaver it was!
after cleanup.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

Mast compression works

Since the very begining this was an area in need of work seeing how the existing arrangement has failed.
It was comprised of a goal poste in the aft face of the main bullkhead and a simple metal angle piece (6mm thick) on the fwd face. both were bent.

Going back a couple of pages you will find my solution.
I designed the pieces in Cad and had it made by a metal shop.
The guys at the metal shop actually bent the metal sheet as opposed to welding them together at 90 degrees at one another, as i had initially specified. i actually think bending makes the whole thing stronger.

It was the time to get the whole system together, which i did and had a slight slant towards portside that i said i wouldnt correct. i lied.
i ended up correcting it as you will see

to begin with i epoxied a G10 3 mm sheet to make for the flatest surface possible onto which the metal pieces will be affixed.
i opted for this choice after the firsts dry runs and observing how the surfaces werent matching.

prior to glueing the G10 it was time to correct the slant
so i plugged all the holes minus the one which would enable me to hinge the whole piece with the least amount of overall change
decided to plug all the holes minus the taped one.jpg
G10 as surfacing method.jpg

fwd surfacing in G10
fwd reinforcement epoxy bedding.jpg
with the vertical surfaces done i one again used the metal pieces, bolted them to the bulkhead and simply stuffed the gap with previously cut G10 sheets and loads of thickened epoxy in order to have everything squeezing out on me. and i did! i had resin in my hair for days!

before demoulding
before demoulding fwd.jpg
after demoulding
after demouding.jpg
after demoulding 2
demoulding fwd reinforcement.jpg
from the deck it was apparent that i was unable to completly fill the last couple of mm
deck vent.jpg
i mixed some pure resin and poured it untill all was filled
deck vent after epoxy pour.jpg
after this i could cut the vent holes with a hole saw
vent holes thru lams.jpg
still more filling to do, im not worried about these gaps it wont affect anything structurally
filling needed.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

Lastly, i drilled the hole in the metal piece with a hole saw. that was a bit of a fight and i need a new hole saw to finish the second vent hole- i was able to have the pilot hole done so it will be pretty easy to do.
vent hole.jpg
this project is almost done, i still need to do one more application of thickened epoxy in order to completely fill all the spots missed during the previous runs.
i will be using the metal pieced as clamps for that.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Resin in your hair for days. :D

I'll be doing similar to Katie Marie soon, finishing up the inside area where my mast brace will be mounted to the overhead. Your 3mm G10 solution works better than did my try at wrapping the overhead support in waxed paper and using it to hold and shape wet glass up against the overhead... My brace is 3 flats at angles to each other, center horizontal, side angles following those of the overhead, loosely. Ideal would have been to get the aluminum guy to make a nice bend. Couldn't take boat to his shop, however.. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

i can only hope what i did will hold up in the future.
if this metal work gets bent....i will be thinking that this boat is untamable! ahah

i had "fun" at times.....epoxy coming from all places, both hands full, heavy pieces, bolts to insert, things wading and slipping as you pushed on them ehehhe,

dont forget to share those photos!