Atom 6.5 Divinycell

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
lsheaf
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Atom 6.5 Divinycell

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys,

I started constructing the Atom 6.5 a few months ago and have worked on it intermittently since then. I have no previous experience building small dinghies so I made a lot of mistakes which I’ll share here as I upload.

The primary purpose of building the dinghy out of Divinycell was to eliminate the worry of wood rotting and to potentially save weight.

Materials: this is just what I ordered, not how much I actually used

2 sheets of 3/8” H80 Divinycell - Merrit Supply
5 gallon kit of West Systems epoxy
Colloidal silica thickening additive
20 yards of 9 oz fiberglass cloth
Roll of 3” wide fiberglass tape
Box of round tooth picks
Box of chip brushes
Stir sticks
lsheaf

Re: Atom 6.5 Divinycell

Post by lsheaf »

I started by tracing out all of the templates onto the sheets of Divinycell. Then cut them out with a sharp razor blade.

Since the stitch and glue method doesn’t work very well with foam, I decided tooth picks would be suffice for holding the main panels together while I tabbed all of the joints.

Once the main panels were tabbed together, I began laying fiberglass cloth on the inside and topsides. I also used toothpicks to hold the cloth tightly in place while fitting and trimming the cloth.

I then applied a generous amount of epoxy to the panel, placed the fiberglass, and wet out the cloth.

The biggest mistake I made during this layup was not removing enough excess resin between the foam and cloth (I used a fiberglass roller). It left lots of bumpy areas which now require additional fairing.

Lesson learned:
I discovered afterwards that the cheap yellow plastic spreaders are much more effective at removing excess resin that may get “stuck” under the cloth.
Attachments
FBF74826-6D99-482D-B86C-99898A51D095.jpeg
BCCE1F13-6D10-4694-9EB0-5355D190D907.jpeg
D055E267-5A8E-41FB-ACA0-96539E50E43F.jpeg
FC6A701D-4869-4200-B043-A594D8B6AE6C.jpeg
7D61D642-9010-4F89-879B-A6DCC48F5441.jpeg
6C106AB2-E6C8-4DD4-AD6A-BDEC7E4F5FE3.jpeg
Last edited by lsheaf on Sat May 21, 2022 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

O oh oh - awesome! :shock: Been wanting to do similar for years! *Very* interested in finding out how she comes out weight-wise... :mrgreen: Good on ya' for using good core! She will still be a lot cheaper than an inflatable, and more durable. Love it. :D
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429 <- Home!
Katie Marie, Ariel #422 <- Soon Home!
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal) <- For Sale

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
pmnfernando
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Katie J
Boat Type: Van de Stadt Pioneer 9

Post by pmnfernando »

cool project!

will it be just a ferry for you (assuming you´r on a mooring) or a cruising dinghy, ie, something you carry aboard(deck davits)?

ive been looking for a cruising dinghy, but at 29 ft and not wanting to store on deck im quite limited. True Kit in New Zealand makes a couple of different lines of inflatable ones. really nice and sturdy built in Valmex (german fabric) but the downside is the price......
lsheaf

Post by lsheaf »

@Capnk - thanks for the response, I’m definitely looking forward to the final build weight too.

I did have an 8ft West Marine inflatable but it only last about 6 months before the transom fell off with my outboard included. :shock:

@Pmnfernando - It will eventually be my full time dinghy that will fit on the forward deck. It gives significantly more working room on the foredeck, unlike the inflatable.
I would reconsider the inflatable idea. They are never the same once they start leaking air and unless you’re getting a 10-12ft fiberglass bottom inflatable, they aren’t much more stable than this dinghy.
pmnfernando
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Katie J
Boat Type: Van de Stadt Pioneer 9

Post by pmnfernando »

I do not have the deck space to store a solid dinghy and i wont clutter what little is left.
The dinghy i was refering to is a completely inflatable one (including floor), the good thing is, it not glued, its welded, it isnt made of hypalon or pvc.
There is a british couple who have been using one for more than one year (they are full time cruisers)an they are pretty happy with it so far. im still a fair bit of time away from purchasing it, so i will keep an eye on their reviews.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

lsheaf wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 pmI did have an 8ft West Marine inflatable but it only last about 6 months before the transom fell off with my outboard included. :shock:
WHA..? lol Sometimes the best stories come from the worst 'happenings'. :D

I had one of those. Fortunately that did not happen while I had it!

lsheaf

Post by lsheaf »

CapnK wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:06 am
lsheaf wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 pmI did have an 8ft West Marine inflatable but it only last about 6 months before the transom fell off with my outboard included. :shock:
WHA..? lol Sometimes the best stories come from the worst 'happenings'. :D

I had one of those. Fortunately that did not happen while I had it!
Haha yes it was a tragic day… the engine still rests on the bottom.
lsheaf

Post by lsheaf »

Next I begin fitting and tabbing the forward seat sides and back.
Attachments
CBF67CD7-4771-4C71-ACD0-A1F3731B31BB.jpeg
lsheaf

Post by lsheaf »

Does anyone know why some of these photos are posting in a different orientation than how they display on my phone?
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

lsheaf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:38 pm Does anyone know why some of these photos are posting in a different orientation than how they display on my phone?
I'm not sure, but would guess that your phone is reading the background EXIF data of the image(s), and so knows automagically to rotate it when you view it, without telling you it is doing so...

Thus, when you post it here, it gets shown in original (ie; 'as taken')orientation. Does that make sense?