Portlight screens and gaskets

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Portlight screens and gaskets

Post by windrose »

Got to share something with you that worked GREAT! I cleaned the old gaskets out of my opening portlights and had never gotten around to ordering the gasket material from Defender, but I had been saving the rubber gaskets out of drywall mud buckets because they are handy for all sorts of things (I do remodeling, etc) .... fuel line, croakies and portlight gaskets. I had read of it sometime ago over on the MIR pages and thought, "what the heck, I'll try it".

I used a piece of the material around the opening flange where the old gasket once was, then ran another bead of sealant around the insert where the glass meets the frame when the window closes. I then positioned screen material over the adhesive and added another piece of the rubber gasket over the exposed adhesive. Closed the window, snug but not hard which pulls the screen snug all around the frame. Let dry, trim screen tightly and viola'.... no more water, no bugs.

It took one gasket from a lid to do each frame.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

What sort of sealant/adhesive did you use?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)