Deep cycle batteries

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
Sailor Simon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: AURORA
Boat Type: Swiftsure 33

Deep cycle batteries

Post by Sailor Simon »

Who makes reasonably priced reasonably reliable and reasonably long life deep cycle marine batteries? I used Canadian tire brand Nautilus Deep Cycle several years ago and never had a concern. I have the physical space for 3 house batteries and one cranker. I will be running a small freezer/fridge, charging a computer, playing the radio etc... evening fans in the berths and various mooring/steaming lights on a 33' sailboat. Sailpr Simon
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Re: Deep cycle batteries

Post by sscoll »

Look at Trojan batteries, assuming you're talking lead acid. How they perform is 100% up to you. My last string lasted seven years but I probably should have switched them after six. They're not cheap but are well built. I can't help with suggestions regarding gel cell. I've no experience with them.
Good luck.
Steve
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I have two 6 volt Trojan T-105s in series which makes a 225 AH house bank, and a separate 12 volt cranking battery the for the engine. My Trojan T105s are 6 years old and still going strong. All batteries must be properly cared for to get max life from them. I have a dockmate who has four T105s that are 11 years old.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Flooded batteries are the best value and I agree the Trojan T105 are a good choice. Not sure where you are but Exide GC2 are comparable to Trojan but should be less expensive if available near you.
These are 6 volt so you will need 2 or 4 in a 12 volt bank. Starting can be taken care of with a 12 volt battery.
It is also a good time to look at your charging system and possibly upgrade.