standing rigging

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

standing rigging

Post by One Way David »

I've been hesitant to post this but my cat curiosity has finally won out.

My Pearson Ensign needs new standing rigging. I think the existing is original. I've been looking at the available synthetic stuff. I'm not too excited about the dead eye stuff available ($$$) and am thinking about making my own out of wood. I could (have the capability) machine some aluminum but like the aesthetics of wood. I've considered IPE, hedge, and lignum vitae. At the moment IPE is winning by a nose.

I am thinking that everything but the forestay could be synthetic, maybe even that but for now I'll stick with stainless steel there for the furler.

Is anybody using synthetic rigging an 22' or over sized boats?

No more cotter pins. This is out here for comments and discussion so chime in.

Dave.

edited: to say I put this here because I'm talking theory here and haven't put my money where my mouth is, yet. When then I'll move to rigging section.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Case

Re: standing rigging

Post by Case »

Ooh, you're at the bleeding cutting edge. You're also very behind the times technology-wise. I'm being sarcastic.

Synthetic standing rigging is on the way and oddly, it does use technology from the Age of Sail (100+ years ago). Odd how things go and then come back!

Anyway, I said "bleeding cutting edge" because I doubt anyone in this forum knows the answer. I commented about synthetic standing was going to replace stainless steel and didn't get that many comments.

I personally know little but know enough that you're better off asking racers. They are into that stuff. Try Sailing Anarchy for example - they do have specific forums for "do it yourselfers" like this forum.

Let us know how you progress with this synthetic standing rigging. I would be interested to know about your project. As for the deadeyes, I have no comments other than I would personally use metal just to keep them smaller.

- Case
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

My backstay adjuster is a cascading series of spectra purchases. I suppose that's both standing and running rigging, but I think it applies to your question.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Learn to do a brummel splice, buy some thimbles and you're golden.
On an Ensign I wouldn't even bother with the deadeyes. Just send a few loops of small spectra through the thimble.

My one concern, and I think must have been addressed by others before now beyond my knowledge, is chafe protection at the spreader tips. I don't know how to address that.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Don't ask the racers. They use exotics at any price and replace when necessary. Dynex Dux is the stuff you want and it didn't come from racing but from the commercial fishing industry. You can read all about it here http://www.colligomarine.com/
If you want a good opinion ask here http://www.briontoss.com/ on the Spartalk forum.

Here's a link to a Searunner tri totally rigged with Dynex http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/ ... Searunner/
His entire rig weighs 15 lbs. He is also the skipper of a North Sea fishing boat. Dynex will withstand being dragged over a steel deck edge. If you try to cut is the knife will dull. And it is apparently competitive with stainless on price.
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Thanks Figment. I have been looking at the spreaders and it is kinda tight up there. Thimble to thimble and no deadeyes? I'll think about this.

Thanks mitiempo, I've been all over those sites except the Searunner.

If it gets to the project stage this winter, I'll be sure to post.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.