Fuel pumps

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Fuel pumps

Post by JonnyBoats »

Is it OK to use a fuel pump made for a car as a transfer pump on a boat?

Does it matter if it is gas or diesel?

I know some fuel filters are supposed to pass a 2.5 minute burn test, does this standard apply to fuel pumps as well?

Are there some pumps which have been specifically approved and labeled for marine use (on inspected vessels perhaps)?

And more generally are there marine related safety issues to consider in installing a fuel transfer pump?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by Tim »

With gasoline, any item needs to be ignition protected. Most automotive-type pumps, etc. are not.

For diesel, this is not the issue it is with gas, and ignition protection requirements/standards don't apply to diesel-powered boats. Ensure that any item installed in a fuel system meets the basic standards that are applicable to the situation; with diesel engines, this is not very limiting.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by JonnyBoats »

Here is what Facet had to say in an email to me.
Thank you for your interest in our Facet fuel pumps. The Cube Solid State and GOLD-FLO style fuel pumps both meet the Coast Guard ignition protection test requirement 33CFR183.590 and Thermo Shock test requirement 33CFF183.590 As far as we know the Coast Guard does not issue a cert for fuel pump but they must meet these standards.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us