Sending core samples to a lab

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Sending core samples to a lab

Post by JonnyBoats »

Does anyone have experience sending a plug from their hull out to a lab for evaluation?

I was talking to a naval architect yesterday who told me that for new fiberglass inspected vessels the Coast Guard requires a full lab analysis on a plug taken from the fiberglass hull, and that this sort of full test costs about $1,500 (ouch). He suggested that there might be lower cost lab analysis available that could be useful for evaluating older fiberglass hulls.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
David

Post by David »

What would you expect to learn from a core sample that you couldn't see from the sample yourself--the strata of layup, resin starvation, voids, etc (and why would it be important?)?
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

What exactly would they evaluate? Strength? Moisture? If the epoxy was fully mixed?

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

What would you expect to learn from a core sample that you couldn't see from the sample yourself
Well that's the point...I don't know.

Apparently some people feel there is value in sending a sample to the lab or the labs would go out of business ;-)

I'm hoping that someone with actual experience using a lab can tell me more about it.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

This is for manufacturers (and if I recall not all are subject) - when they build a new boat they have to get some sort of certification approved before they go into production. It's more engineering testing then anything....Strength, bonding, etc....I believe they only have to do it once pre production....
David

Post by David »

Ahh I see. Sort of like UL testing.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Actually, it sounds like (at one point, at least) UL did do fiberglass testing. I can't copy/paste from this article, but if you go to the link below and then "turn" to page 65 (as numbered in the lower-right hand corner), middle column, you'll read that Bill Tripp had some fiberglass samples from his Javelin design sent to UL for testing.

The reason for the testing was that a customer had felt that the laminate of one of these Dutch-built boats was too thin. So Bill had 4" square samples (one from each side of the hull just above the waterline) cut out and sent to UL.

The article's text describes how the "returned samples, whose resin had been burned off, showed the laminate schedule to be exactly as specified, and that the resin-to-glass ratio was ideal -- better actually than most contemporary American builders were achieving."

So that illustrates one type of result that could be achieved by testing. I'm thinking that perhaps in an older boat, the same testing could ascertain if there had been any - or how much - hydrolysis occurring? (Although maybe you would need a sample of the same boat when new to make a comparison, perhaps you could still get a meaningful figure for the current e state of the laminate?)

I hope you don't mind me piping in since I haven't had direct experience with the testing; it's just that I remembered reading about this in the article I've linked to.

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20070203/?pg=59
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

UL will test anything you pay them to test. Including the limits of logic.
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Popeye1865 »

I believe the coast guard testing your are referring to is for passenger vessels caring more than 6 passengers for hire. i think the test is mostly a fire test to see how it burns as many of the older glass boats burned real good and the coast guard didn't like that. You don't need this unless your trying to be a charter boat.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Figment wrote:UL will test anything you pay them to test. Including the limits of logic.
Do you have a link to the results?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Testing still underway, evidently. Follow progress here.
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

eye roll
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.