Diesel fuel lines - legal requirements?

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Diesel fuel lines - legal requirements?

Post by JonnyBoats »

Are all the rubber lines which carry diesel fuel required by law to be marked (A1, A2 etc.)? Specificly the short pieces of rubber hose on the engine itself? For example, from the lift pump to the injector pump or from the engine mounted filter to the lift pump etc.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

As a follow on, I found the following document http://www.uscg.mil/sectorsanjuan/root/ ... 0Guide.pdf which describes the requirements for inspected vessels. (Pleasure craft do not need to be inspected). It does however provide some excellent guidance applicable to all vessels.

Of specific interest is:
Flexible Fuel Hoses: 46 CFR 182.720
The following are key points regarding the use of nonmetallic hose:
? Hose meeting SAE J1942 may be used regardless of the vessel?s hull material or vessel length.
? Hose meeting SAE J1942 requirements may be used without length limitations.
? Nonmetallic flexible hose may not penetrate a watertight bulkhead
? Hose meeting SAE J1942 may be used I all systems, including vital water systems.
? Care should be taken to ensure that the hose is appropriately classed for the system in which it is installed, e.g. fuel/lube oil (F), hydraulic (H), vital water (VW), etc.
? For all applications, hose meeting SAE J1942 must use hose end fittings that meet SAE J1945, ?Hydraulic Hose Fitting for Marine Applications.?
? Manufactures may not mark a hose with all the standards for which a hose is qualified. If in doubt, a check of the manufacture?s part number against SAE J1942-1 should be made.
In certain cases, alternative standards and hose installations maybe acceptable. For instance flexible hose for use in fuel systems of smaller passenger vessels (not more than 65 feet carrying not more than 12 passengers) may alternatively meet the American Boat and Yacht Council Projects outlined in 46 CFR 182.130. Further, some systems may meet the requirements of 46 CFR 182.720(e)(v), which outlines where USCG Type A and B flexible hose may be used. The regulations for USCG Type A1, A2, B1 and B2 hose are covered in Title 33, CFR Subpart J for boat fuel systems.
For guidance on inspecting flexible fuel hose assemblies, we encourage the use of SAE standard J1273, ?Recommended Practices for Hydraulic Hose Assemblies.? Although flexible hose may offer a less difficult means of completing a piping system, there are a number of ways to incorrectly install hose assemblies that may not be obvious to untrained personnel.
It would appear that one can check a manufacturers hose against SAE standard SAE J1942-1 which lists the hoses which have been approved. Unfortunately one needs to purchase this standard.
John Tarbox
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There's ambiguity regarding hose requirements for diesel fuel systems.

33CFR 183.558 requires the use of hose meeting, and marked as such, the requirements of USCG Type A-1...but 33CFR 183.500-.599 pertains specifically to gasoline fuel systems, not diesel.

Diesel fuel systems aren't covered in 33 CFR, but ABYC H-33 "requires" the use of USCG Type A-1 or A-2 fuel hose. By now everyone knows that only certain sections of the ABYC standards--specifically those incorporated by reference into legally binding codes in the CFR and USC--are actually required and enforceable, but nonetheless ABYC is the default governing body for recreational craft, and meeting the standards thereunto is normally a smart course of action.

33 CFR 183.540 (e) requires that any fuel hose meeeting the ratings of USCG Type A-1, A-2, B-1, or B-2 be clearly identified as such on the hose itself.

My advice is to use commonly-available hose meeting, and marked as meeting, the requirements for USCG Type A-1 for all parts of the fuel supply and return system. This meets the standards of ABYC H-33, which is a typically a smart and prudent course--and will also satisfy those who use these standards to determine insurability and general safety.

None of this means that one cannot use, for diesel fuel systems, a hose that exceeds all applicable standards and requirements even if it's not marked in a manner applicable to recreational boating. But since these other hoses will not be marked in a recognizable and easily identifiable manner, it will at a minimum tend to cause confusion at some future inspection, regardless of how suitable the hose truly is. One has to consider this sort of thing when making outfitting choices. How much hassle is a non-conforming hose worth?

Finally, however worthy hose meeting standard SAW J1942 is, note that it must use specific hydraulic hose fittings on the ends in order to meet the standards. That's all well and good as long as you use the proper fittings.

It sure seems easier to just use type A-1 fuel hose.

Here is the complete diesel fuel system standard from ABYC.

ABYC H-33 Diesel Fuel Systems (PDF File)

FWIW, inspected vessel requirements are often vastly different than those for recreational vessels. I'd suggest sticking with the common practice of meeting and exceeding those standards and requirements specific to recreational vessels. Trying to extrapolate inspected vessel requirements into something appropriate for a recreational vessel can become exhausting, and is unnecessary.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

ABYC H-33 "requires" the use of USCG Type A-1 or A-2 fuel hose.
Then per ? 183.540 Hoses: Standards and markings. :
(e) Each ??USCG Type A1,?? ??USCG
Type A2,?? ??USCG Type B1,?? and
??USCG Type B2?? hose must be identified
by the manufacturer by a marking
on the hose.
(f) Each marking must contain the
following information in English:
(1) The statement ??USCG TYPE (insert
A1 or A2 or B1 or B2).??
(2) The year in which the hose was
manufactured.
(3) The manufacturer?s name or registered
trademark.
(g) Each character must be block
capital letters and numerals that are
at least one eighth-inch high.
(h) Each marking must be permanent,
legible, and on the outside of the
hose at intervals of 12 inches or less.
[CGD 85?098, 52 FR 19728, May 27, 1987]
Does this mean that a brand new marine diesel engine coming from the manufacturer with hoses on the engine without the markings "USCG Type" is not ABYC compliannt?
John Tarbox
Tim

Post by Tim »

Johnny Boats wrote:Does this mean that a brand new marine diesel engine coming from the manufacturer with hoses on the engine without the markings "USCG Type" is not ABYC compliannt?
Throw it overboard. It's no good and must be a deathtrap.

Seriously, though: don't worry about it.
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

Seriously, though: don't worry about it.
Yes, I do tend to go overboard with the minutia, don't I? :-)

Anyway I took a look at a brand new Yanmar diesel today and it had hose on it that was labeled "ISO 7840 A1" plus the date etc. there was no "USCG" however.

For an example of this type of hose see: http://www.trelleborg.com/industrialhos ... 7840A1.pdf

So it would see that at least two diesel manufacturers, Beta and Yanmar, use this type of hose.

Which leaves the question, would the Trelleborg hose at the above URL be acceptable where A1 hose is required?
John Tarbox
Tim

Post by Tim »

All of these engines are manufactured overseas. Overseas manufacturers don't necessarily follow ABYC guidelines to the letter, but I think you can be reasonably assured that any quality engine manufacturer or marinizer (like Yanmar and Beta) is using a type of engine-mounted fuel hose that is appropriate for its intended use.