Alexseal Buffing/Polishing Technique

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Alexseal Buffing/Polishing Technique

Post by Tim »

Last year, I obtained the following specific instructions direct from the US manufacturer's rep for Alexseal, Christian Von Der Hyde. This is the method sanctioned by Alexseal for removing sags or runs or other flaws in a new paint finish. The process works best in a fresh, stage-one cure paint finish (within a day or two of initial application), and works less well with a fully-cured paint film (after 2-3 weeks).

I have also included a PDF of the Alexseal Technical Data Sheet covering the various products and techniques sanctioned for use in the care and maintenance of the Alexseal coating.

Care and Maintenance: Alexseal Topcoat
  • 1. Block sand affected area with 320 grit till smooth (use nib first if the run requires it)

2. Sand with 1500 grit, wet or dry; dry is preferred

3. Machine buff with 3M #6011 Imperial Microfinish compound using 3M #5725 Perfect-It foam polishing pad (waffle pad). These pads come in packages of two: buff using the first pad up to four times, then switch to the second, new pad for a final buffing round
    Image Image

4. Machine buff with 3M #5991 Imperial Machine Glaze, 2 or 3 times as necessary

5. Seal with polymer sealer such as Awlcare
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

yep, it works.