My new boat-1968 Pearson Wanderer #102

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

My new boat-1968 Pearson Wanderer #102

Post by Crazer »

Well all, I followed most of the sound advice given to me on this forum when I signed the contract for the purchase of Pearson Wanderer #102 "Loon." She pulls at my heart strings, she meets all the size requirements I had laid out and she is ready to sail. I have admired her for quite some time, frequently stopping by to have a look at her, to the point that the boatyard crew started to give me funny looks. She has had massive amounts of work done lately and comes with lots of extras. Notably, she has a new Moyer Marine factory rebuilt engine and a new head and associated plumbing. She has new batteries and lots of work done to her electronics, along with new exterior woodwork, a deck that was recored about 15 years ago and new hull paint. Engine work included a new shaft, prop and cutlass bearing. I got a good deal on her and she's right here in my hometown so I don't have to deal with dragging her all over the northeast. I am absolutely over the moon, the only bad part being that spring launching is months away!! She does have wheel steering, I will have to put that right at some point but not immediately. There are a few little things I want to do over the summer, some paint on the interior, a seahood, a new forward hatch and some minor deck and maintenance work. I think she's the perfect boat for me right now and I thank you all for pushing me in the right direction.

I apologize for the quality of the photos, I can't take a good photo to save my life and it doesn't help that we haven't had more than a half a day of sun here for more than six weeks now.
Attachments
IMG_6942R.JPG
IMG_6941R2.JPG
IMG_6940R.JPG
IMG_6939R.JPG
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
TampaBay
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Re: My new boat-1968 Pearson Wanderer #102

Post by TampaBay »

Good looking color.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

She is a very nice example of a wonderful classic. I sailed in many small boat regattas on Seneca Lake in Rhodes Bantams and Lightnings in my younger days. What a great venue. I have many fond memories chasing regattas around the finger lakes region. Congratulations!!! I'm sure you are just chomping at the bit to launch her.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

TampaBay: I agree, the green really helps her stand out amongst all the garish primary colors and dated gelcoat schemes.

Dick, thanks! I went down to the boatyard to visit her and get a head start on the few things I want to do before she goes in. Lots of opportunities for puttering, plenty of things to keep me entertained until spring comes around. Unfortunately it snowed a few weeks ago and it hasn't melted yet, which restricts the amount of work I can do topside. This is a great area for sailing, we have a 15 foot catboat that I sailed last summer on Cayuga and it's great fun. Lots of places to explore, and of course access to the canal and our neighboring lake. I remember the first time I saw Seneca, I was struck by its deep blue color. Its a very deep lake, as is Cayuga. A favorite pastime of mine in the summer is to drive from here to Geneva, it's a gorgeous drive with some stunning views of both lakes.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Old Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by JFryer »

I just wanted to say the boat looks beautiful. Also what a nice place to sail. Growing up I spent my summers on Seneca lake. Now I try to get back there whenever I can. I Planning On trailering my Renegade up to Buffalo and cruising the Erie canal to Seneca lake this summer.
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Thanks, JFryer! You'll really enjoy the canal trip. I did the same thing from the other direction, going from NYC to Seneca Lake in a Sea Sprite 23. Let me know when you get up here. Your Renegade is a cousin of my Wanderer, both are Shaw designs.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

A couple more photos of the interior. A friend of mine is coming up this weekend and the plan is to get a few good days of work in. We should have relatively warmer weather and some sun, so I hope to get some cleaning and organizing taken care of in preparation for more extensive maintenance and preparation for launch later in the spring. I'll start a separate thread for that once it's under way.
Attachments
IMG_6961R.JPG
IMG_6953R.JPG
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio